Options

Do most Scottish and Welsh people like or hate England's team.

basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
Forum Member
A question I have been thinking about for a while.
What's the general consensus in Scotland and Wales regarding the England football team. Is it generally hated by a majority or is it only a minority that dislike it.

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    There are more possibilities than like or hate.

I suspect the majority are indifferent. I'm Scottish and there isn't one opinion that is shared by every Scot (just the same as people everywhere are individuals).
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bothered either way. Watched England's 1st match v Italy, thought they played ok.
    Its perhaps the pundits or media that some people find annoying?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Not bothered either way. Watched England's 1st match v Italy, thought they played ok.

this

I don't really care one way or the other about the team itself , but I cant stand the way the media react to any success
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im a scot and ill give it straight, the majority of scots dislike them! its mainly down to the yrs of a up yourself attitude played mainly out by the media! :( (now the media are having to accept from the actual players and management themselves that indeed they have been like this for yrs upon years) always puting extra pressure on the nation, were better than anyone else and if we get beat it was never there own fault kind of thing!
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate is far too strong a word.

Complete indifference is probably closer to the truth.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Slightly different but I have a friend from Gabon. He joined us for the first England game.
    He's not a 'supporter' but lives here and probably also wanted to be sociable.

He said he'd support Gabon but wasn't fussed about other African teams, although it would be good if one did well.

He said apart from his own nation he'd support France.

He did say that he has a laugh at all the hype - so I guess that's another one for it being the media's fault.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's not hate. When England lose it's mild amusement. If they ever look like winning a major competition (and it's been a while) it's more annoyance because we know we will hear nothing else for the next 40, 50 or 60 years.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or, to put it another way....

Do most English people like or hate France's team?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »
    Or, to put it another way....

Do most English people like or hate France's team?
    I don't care about other teams now England are out.
    I just want to see good matches.
    I suppose if Holland got to the final it might be nice to have a new name on the trophy - but if they got hammered in the final it would bother me.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »

This, it's not the English team perse as many Welsh Scottish N Irish people are fans of English clubs. It's the media pundits etc who hype England up so much and forget they are broadcasting to a large minority of people who arn't english
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a Welshman We don't hate the England team..we hate the English media hyping up the England team but when you do ultimately cock up we crack a smile..it's all we have..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    English media hyping up the England team but when you do ultimately cock up we crack a smile..it's all we have..
    England fans are the same ;):D
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Hate is far too strong a word.

Complete indifference is probably closer to the truth.

Yeah, you're certainly apathetic about the English.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always want ROI, NI, Wales and Scotland to do well. Unless it's against England of course.

It's a shame that's not reciprocated in the main, but that's the way it goes.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    English players, clubs and the English Premiership are exceedingly popular in Scotland. Your pundits, media and commentators, though.....:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm Scottish and I'm a huge supporter of the England national team. They hype while its quite annoying is something you just need to put up with and it wont make me cheer on for the team even less. Its just as bad up here when there is a flicker of a chance that Scotland might do well.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I'm Welsh and I generally support England but obviously not as vociferously as English fans. I certainly think football fans in the rest of the UK take more interest in England games anyway.