✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Why??

Why not? Deport them instead maybe?
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not? Deport them instead maybe?

you know most Atheist are British as are some muslims and Jewish people British born so you can't deport them.
    would you like being Atheist made against the law again.>:(
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    I'm broadly in favour of a morning assembly where the school community comes together to be informed of events or the updated scores of house points.... results of school sports teams.... general news and information that pupils need to know.

I would quite agree however, that it doesn't need to be an occasion for religious worship and that could easily be scrapped without any detriment whatsoever.

I never used to sing the words to the hymns or say the Lord's Prayer. I'd move my lips but no sound came out (defiant little so-and-so) because in my day we still had corporal punishment and not singing was a caning offence if you got caught. How Christian is that..?

I must have been rather good at miming. If I was a young man today I could join a boy band and make a fortune for being not very good at anything.

Not being religious hasn't had any detrimental effect whatsoever on my life. Children don't need it. In my opinion we could abolish this ritual obeisance to a non-existent entity and I doubt anybody would notice.

The non-existent entity would certainly notice.
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you know most Atheist are British as are some muslims and Jewish people British born so you can't deport them.

Minorities are free to believe in what they like. Its when they start throwing tantrums to get there minority views pushed on the majority, Atheists and Muslims are like this I find. Not so much other groups.
    Its still a Christian country where the majority consider themselves Christians.
    Unfortunately the wonders of multiculturalism means people will inevitably have to be segregated to be happy.
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The non-existent entity would certainly notice.

How can something that doesn't exist notice anything.?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd agree with both of these things. While I'm against compulsory worship in schools, I do think it's good that the school all comes together at least once in a while. There's plenty of other stuff assemblies are useful for without the religious aspect.

Agreed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

I take it your sarcasm meter is broken?. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Good question :p
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd agree with both of these things. While I'm against compulsory worship in schools, I do think it's good that the school all comes together at least once in a while. There's plenty of other stuff assemblies are useful for without the religious aspect.

I agree - it is essential and practical, and often the only time the headteacher can address the whole school community with a particular message or to hand out awards/accolades for achievement.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a typical example of a theists logic.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minorities are free to believe in what they like. Its when they start throwing tantrums to get there minority views pushed on the majority, Atheists and Muslims are like this I find. Not so much other groups.
    Its still a Christian country where the majority consider themselves Christians.
    Unfortunately the wonders of multiculturalism means people will inevitably have to be segregated to be happy.

Why not shave atheist's heads, forcibly remove them from their homes and put them into camps?

Or simply burn them alive at the stake for Heresy? ;-)
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not shave atheist's heads, forcibly remove them from their homes and put them into camps?

Some religious people would like to go back to been a crime for been atheist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You see when you say "religious groups" thats quite a broad term. If you are referring to Christians, no they don't want atheism to be a crime, that's in your head only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny guy. Are you volunteering?
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think schools should segregate Atheists from Christians instead.
    I think schools should be secular instead of religion becoming even greatly entrenched with division and segregation, both of which should be left in the past where they belong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Any ones in particular ?
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny guy. Are you volunteering?

Nah, it is not the middle ages anymore thanks. :D

Let's face it some religious people would still secretly love to burn atheists at the stake.

The Catholics were superb at it. ;-)

Mind you the Islamic extremists would just love to have stoning in this country for Apostasy as well.

Religion - what fun it all is.
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you aware that Christmas is about Jesus Christ? It's all in the name.

It's name might represent Christ but the celebration we know today such as Christmas trees, stockings and giving presents represents pagan and German traditions.
    For that to be true, you'd have to ignore the basis that the families in animated sitcoms created for FOX tend to revolve around Christianity. Indeed, its news division is responsible for pandering to US Christian conservative values.

That's just with FOX, I was talking about people saying anti religious things in general. FOX programmes also criticise FOX
    Thank goodness we now have a discipline which bases itself on facts and allows progression of things that actually work and are proven to work, like antibiotics and medicine and which can also be recorded and passed onto future generations to maintain and improve their quality of life. Unlike religion which would consider anything outside of its historic holy texts as heresy and has gone about to burn knowledge (via book burnings) which don't fit in its beliefs. Religion has no basis being involved within the state and that includes schools which are supposed to be the foundation of knowledge, not what gets written in a two thousand year old book full of tales.

The bible isn't two thousand years old, it's 500 years old and with religions like Catholicism there is a pope with a team of people who give modern interpretations of their religion based on scientific findings and social trends. Like I said before the bible was published in 1500AD it was all word of mouth and like Chinese whispers can get changed by mishearing, mistranslation, accidently mixed with other stories and maliciously changed and so the bible most likely doesn't represent exactly what happened. Things like a virgin birth were fund in Greek and Roman mythology and could've it got in the bible by accidently getting mixed up with a Greek/Roman mythology story.

Christian scientists don't use antibiotics and medicine and Jehovah's Witnesses don't agree with blood transfusions and organ donation but they are two different types of Christianity. The things you claim is a mix of different parts of Christianity. Most "Christian values" are basic logic and some are based on science but are in no way exclusive to any religion.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Minorities are free to believe in what they like. Its when they start throwing tantrums to get there minority views pushed on the majority, Atheists and Muslims are like this I find.
    But these groups are hardly worth mentioning, as such "tantrums" are pretty rare.
    Why would people have to be segregrated? :confused:
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Are you aware that Christmas is about Jesus Christ?
    Only for Christians. For everyone else it's a non-religious festival.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you aware that Christmas is about Jesus Christ? It's all in the name.
    No. Easter is about Jesus.
    But as you say: It's all in the name. Ēostre's name is in the word Easter therefore by your logic Easter is about Ēostre.
    QED

What warped, incoherent, hate-fuelled and twisted logic led you to the conclusion that segregation was a good idea? If you just look at the past, there are plenty of examples were segregation has failed spectacularly.
    I sincerely hope you're joking.

Nobody has the right to push their views on anyone. That includes the majority pushing their views on the minorities. No views should be pushed at all in schools.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

But would that do? Surely it would be much, much better to start with that but continue segregating by denomination for the Christians and type, for want of a better word, for the atheists. That done, onto hair colour, then sexual preference, then finally the favourite type of tea. The world would almost certainly be a better place if brunette Methodist lesbians with a liking for mint tea didn't have to mix with bisexual blonde new atheists who favour Earl Grey.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This topic really deserves a FAQ to deal with the numerous fallacies that keep getting trotted out.

Nobody cares about abolishing school worship except for crazies on the internet

Obviously this is wrong. The topic has been brought up because the National Governors Association has called for compulsory worship to be abolished. This clearly indicates that this issue goes beyond a minority or fringe desire to impose their views on the majority.

Britain is a Christian country because Christian traditions are used in government ceremonies and the Queen is the head of the Church of England

Tradition and ceremony do not define the country - its population does. Whilst we may have ceremonies that either derive from Christian culture or are explicitly religious in nature, they are almost entirely symbolic. It is no different to how the Queen is our head of state, but we do not live in an autocratic monarchy.

The general population are not forced into religious ceremony, despite the Queen being head of a church or parliament being opened with a prayer. Consequently, such behaviours cannot be compared to imposed religious worship.

Christmas is only about Jesus because its where the word comes from

This is true only in that the etymology of the word derives from a Christian celebration. Its actual modern-day meaning is derived from its use, where it is now clearly used in a far broader sense than it was originally intended. This sort of change is very common, from the aforementioned days-of-the-week, to more modern uses like "to google," something on the internet.

Trying to remove compulsory worship is banning religion from schools or forcing atheistic beliefs on Christians

Of course this is not true. Christian children are free to pray during break times, just as any other religion would be. They're even free to stand around in the playground singing hymns if they want. Children are not being forced to hide their religious identity in school and they certainly are not being stopped from practising their religion in their own free time.

The issue is that our modern-day schools contain pupils of varying faiths. Unlike a church where the congregation is made up entirely of Christians or a Mosque made up entirely of Muslims, the pupils are not attending school to engage in the worship of a single religion that many of them do not follow. Not having a religious service at a school does not impose a view on Christians. Having a Christian service, however, does impose Christian views.

Teaching about religion and spirituality is a part of education and shouldn't be banned

Of course religion is a prominent part of the history, culture and morality of most societies. It is definitely beneficial that young people learn about the history and influences of at least the largest and most influential religions. It should be treated as we would treat history or social studies as a subject and should take a dispassionate, unbiased look at these different religions and encourage the children to question and think.

Singing hymns and praying to the Christian god is not education, though and has no part in a claim of teaching about religion. There is no need for children to engage in worship at school, because that is not what school is for. Trying to confuse worship with religious education is disingenuous.
  • GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when the christians become a minority, which will happen quite soon, I hope you heed your own advice. I don't want you complaining. Just sit there and be oppressed, as your cult has done to millions of the years!
    Thankfully, it is NOT a christian country anymore. Can you imagine how bloody awful it would be?! Whilst you think that multiculturalism is to blame, I think it is education and the gradual decline of christian authoritarianism. Now the world can see how intolerant and dishonest the christian church is, it will continue to lose more churches which will be knocked down or turned into restaurants, supermarkets and book shops. Hoorah!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    GayAtheist wrote: »
    So when the christians become a minority, which will happen quite soon
    And how do you know this? Do you have proof?