I live in London and want to move out what do I do?

BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
Forum Member
I'm 30yr old male and living at home in London and I don't have the best job. I would like to know step by step what I need to do and if it is even possible. I mean I can't share with anyone I don't think since my anxiety is quite bad and I generally prefer to be in control of when I get to be around people. The job I have pays only about £1000 so I'm not sure. I have nobody to guide me on these situations, even though I see single people manage to get their own place. So sick of wasting my life living at home. I'm sure that I will get a better job soon but I still want to know how to get a place all to myself with no one sharing?

Comments

• MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Save for a deposit which is usually a months rent.
    Search for a room in a shared house within reasonable commuting distance to work. Realistically that's all you can afford.)
    Move the stuff you need in. Leave the stuff you don't immediately need at your parents (if they let you).

Sharing a house does not necessarily mean living with them, going out together etc. Some just have a communal kitchen/bathroom with no communal living room so you're not expected to sit and be sociable with your housemates.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really pretty straightforward, decide where you'd like to go, loads of great cities in the UK, look for suitable posts, interview, once you secure a job then find a one bed place if u want or a bit bigger if you have the spare cash. To be fair living costs in London will make it easier for you to adapt to most other places, although without knowing the line of work you're in its harder to say whether you'll notice a significant drop in wages moving out of the city!

I've lived several years by myself working and as a student and afforded it no problem, in Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow, with London briefly, I found Edinburgh the most expensive (aside from London,.which was shared accommodation) as a single person but I got paid ok at that time... If you're not happy, make a change, it's a bit daunting but can be very exciting, New people, New environment and new opportunites! Life's too short for regrets!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of houseshare websites

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/
    http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare-wanted/london/flatmate
    http://uk.easyroommate.com/
    http://www.roombuddies.co.uk/
    https://www.housepals.co.uk/

There's also a whole world outside of London.

Alternatively, get a rich boy/girlfriend and become a kept man :)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in London. You won't get anywhere decent (even a house share) on a wage of £1,000 a month. London prices are sky high. You're better of getting a new job first and then re-assessing the situation.
  • BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm thinking I need a job that will get me around £1500 maybe?

Things is I can't share. Even the toilet/kitchen situation would be awkward as hell for me.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    What kind of work do you do/ would you be looking for? It is a bit of a catch 22 situation since it is hard (and foolish) to relocate without a job but difficult to find work if you do not live in the place you are looking.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    BigNipper wrote: »
    Yeah I'm thinking I need a job that will get me around £1500 maybe?

Things is I can't share. Even the toilet/kitchen situation would be awkward as hell for me.

I'm guessing the £1000 you earn is after tax, so you earn around 14k. You will really struggle to find a decent share on that, let alone something by yourself.

To take home £1500 you would need nearly a 10k payrise. Is that realistically going to happen? Even on £1500 you would likely still not be able to afford your own place. You would get a reasonable share though.

You have 4 options.

1. Get a massive payrise and get your own place.
    2. Get a smaller payrise and move into a house-share
    3. Move out of london
    4. Stay where you are now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I did exactly what you want to do. Although i was earning a little more, anyway, what you need to do is to start applying for jobs in your chosen city.
    I chose Birmingham, the most difficult thing will be finding a job took me over a year, but now 4 years down the line i'm all set.
    I rent a 2 bed house, in an ok area ( better then Edmonton where i used to live ) the cost is £450.00 per month, with bills, food, petrol etc i spend around £685.00 per month. ( my take home is around £1500 )
    My rent alone in London was £750.00 per month.
    The downside to life outside London = useless public transport, so you will need a car, wages are lower, there is no Tottenham Ct Rd, in fact variety is very poor if you need to buy something, if you like nights out, stay where you are;-)
    For me the benefits outweigh the negatives, YMMV.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading the OP as wanting to move out of his parents' place, not move out of London. If that is the case then not sure how they can possibly do that earning £1k per month.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the same boat. I went to Leeds and got a job in a large stockroom, and lived in digs for a short while, until I got a house from a social landlord (it was the LA in those days.)

I will only tell you one thing to do for fun, there are loads. Get up early on a Sunday and go to a golf course. There are quite a few municipal courses in Leeds. It's cheap and great. After a while if you can get a promotion you will be able to scrape a mortgage loan and buy a place. The buses in Leeds are sensational, but as soon as you get outside the city boundary they aren't. In digs keep your room clean and tidy, don't make a nuisance for the lady.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I did exactly what you want to do. Although i was earning a little more, anyway, what you need to do is to start applying for jobs in your chosen city.
    I chose Birmingham, the most difficult thing will be finding a job took me over a year, but now 4 years down the line i'm all set.
    I rent a 2 bed house, in an ok area ( better then Edmonton where i used to live ) the cost is £450.00 per month, with bills, food, petrol etc i spend around £685.00 per month. ( my take home is around £1500 )
    My rent alone in London was £750.00 per month.
    The downside to life outside London = useless public transport, so you will need a car, wages are lower, there is no Tottenham Ct Rd, in fact variety is very poor if you need to buy something, if you like nights out, stay where you are;-)
    For me the benefits outweigh the negatives, YMMV.

You are making it sound like everywhere else in the UK is backwater dullsville, there is no need for a car in Manchester and there is plenty to do socially. I'm surprised Birmingham isn't the same, apologies if i have misunderstood.
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    save up and put together a deposit. A deposit on accommodation is half that outside london.
    Pick a town and go.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    I'm reading the OP as wanting to move out of his parents' place, not move out of London. If that is the case then not sure how they can possibly do that earning £1k per month.

I wouldn't want to live in London on £3000 a month never mind £1000.

Start looking for jobs all over the country. If you are a city person then the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol all have good job opportunities and a lively social scene.

The OP should also look at improving their qualifications
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    clarribo wrote: »
    You are making it sound like everywhere else in the UK is backwater dullsville, there is no need for a car in Manchester and there is plenty to do socially. I'm surprised Birmingham isn't the same, apologies if i have misunderstood.
    Can't speak about Manchester, but Birmingham public transport is dire, examples, no trains ( to my station ) after 6pm on sunday, at least once a week a train is late or cancelled, bus once an hour on sunday before 10am, bus does not run on bank holiday, means you have to walk 20 mins to one that does.
    It is not possible to hold a job with a service like that, most of my fellow workers that don't drive rely on taxis @ £8.00 a pop.
    Nothing to do with being dullsvile, as i said the benefits to moving out of London far outweigh the negatives.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you really want to do this you will.... If you are happy in your job and want to stay in the same area as you are then I suggest you get a part time job for a few evenings a week or a weekend day? It's what a lot of people do, if you are living alone it's a good way to meet people too.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have any savings? I'm 27 and live at home. I lived away from home for six years, but decided I wanted to save for a mortgage/go traveling. I have managed to save quite a bit, but will continue to do so as I live in London and so it's obviously more expensive to buy and a larger deposit will be needed to buy. I'm 27 though and have quite a bit saved. I may use the money to buy a place in another city instead, I will see in another 7 months or so. If you're 30 though and have lived at home all this time, have you managed to save anything at all? Saving can be very, very hard, but I find that once you get started and save a good bit, you find it spurs you on and makes you want to continue.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid, unless you have decent savings, you are going to have an extremely hard time finding somewhere even half-decent to live on your own in London on £1,000 a month take-home pay.