What's up with Google Maps?

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
Google seem to have redesigned their maps, which now no longer show roads. There is the occasional road name, but not roads as they once showed them. What gives. When I first saw it - roads appararently just indicated the occasional white blob - I thought it was just a video glitch on the machine I was using. But now it seems like that on very desktop and laptop I have tried. Was there an announcement and explanation I have missed?

PS Actually, it just seems to be the roads in Spain (which I have been looking at) but not GB. But that is a new development.

Comments

• Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Google seem to have redesigned their maps, which now no longer show roads. There is the occasional road name, but not roads as they once showed them. What gives. When I first saw it - roads appararently just indicated the occasional white blob - I thought it was just a video glitch on the machine I was using. But now it seems like that on very desktop and laptop I have tried. Was there an announcement and explanation I have missed?

I've just used Google Maps to look up an address, looked fine to me?
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I've just used Google Maps to look up an address, looked fine to me?

Yes, I know here in Britain, but last year I went to a small place north of Valencia and consulted Google Maps and all the roads were marked. This year they aren't - at all.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PS Actually, it just seems to be the roads in Spain (which I have been looking at) but not GB. But that is a new development.

You've changed the view of the maps in settings.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're still the same streetviews of a few years ago.

The junction between the M876 and A9 north of the Bellsdyke Road in Larbert is missing on the streetview.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just used their maps using the earth view and it seems fine to me. I can see Spain's roads from above and in Street View.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks perfectly fine here, all roads seem to be present and correct.

http://i.share.pho.to/3f7eca4e_o.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I've just used their maps using the earth view and it seems fine to me. I can see Spain's roads from above and in Street View.

As I said. It seems to me the OP has changed the view of maps somehow to perhaps Satellite view?
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    As I said. It seems to me the OP has changed the view of maps somehow to perhaps Satellite view?

Some of the buses that were no longer in service a few years ago are still on the streetview.

It's not really fully up to date, even if locally in some places the Streetview seems to be up to date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Some of the buses that were no longer in service a few years ago are still on the streetview.

He didn't say he's looking at street view. He said the maps. There are several types of view you can look at maps with. One is normal. One is Satellite which is less detailed than the first one. My suspicion is the op somehow switched to that view. Why would Google with the biggest map service stop providing road names?
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »

Odd, I am using Maps. Maybe streetview is different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Op. Have you listened to what I said and tried changing the view?
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I hate the new version, I have gone back to the old one.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Op. Have you listened to what I said and tried changing the view?

Yes, and investigate settings and could find nowt to change. I'll take another look. (I've been up all day).
    Forum Member
    No, it just seems to be Spain. Looked at the map of Germany and Britain and both have roads marked clearly, but Spain doesn't. Odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it just seems to be Spain. Looked at the map of Germany and Britain and both have roads marked clearly, but Spain doesn't. Odd.

I am sure it'll come back. Probably a glitch.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks great on the screen but when you print a map.....absolute rubbish. Half the roads don't show up.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know here in Britain, but last year I went to a small place north of Valencia and consulted Google Maps and all the roads were marked. This year they aren't - at all.

There is only one conclusion!
    http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/208681/resized_ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-i-m-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens-1824f9.jpg
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    http://www.openstreetmap.org is by far a better map source. There are plenty of other sources to view maps. Ordnance Survey maps are extremely detailed.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    working ok for me.
    Forum Member
    http://www.openstreetmap.org is by far a better map source. There are plenty of other sources to view maps. Ordnance Survey maps are extremely detailed.

Just taken a look at it and I have to agree.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    working ok for me.

Just managed to work out what was wrong: it's Google's bloody 'new' map, but I didn't know about it and didn't know I had - or had been - switched. Now gone back to classic and roads all back. Phew. What were the advantages of the 'new' map?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I just assumed that you were talking about the Earth view. I always use the Earth/satellite view.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just managed to work out what was wrong: it's Google's bloody 'new' map, but I didn't know about it and didn't know I had - or had been - switched. Now gone back to classic and roads all back. Phew. What were the advantages of the 'new' map?
    I use the new version of maps on Chrome & Cyberfox and they still show street names etc.

Also the Streetview has been updated for the town centre. I can now scroll between the old view and new view (2 years difference) and see the changes in town.

Outskirts are still old though. My old car is still on the drive :D