Options

Facebook friends - are they your REAL friends?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't add anyone that I've not actually met in person. A lot I would class as friends and others are generally work colleagues, ex-work colleagues or people I've met once or twice (friends of friends that I've met at parties or nights out, got on with well at the party and thought we might stay in touch, that kind of thing). When I first joined I added loads of people I went to school with but then realised there wasn't a lot of point so deleted most of them.

I don't understand these people who have thousands of friends and just add anyone who sends them a request.
  • Options
    ThePerfectOneThePerfectOne Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of mine a Mafia Wars "friends " but i do have a few good friends on my list :)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Everyone I have on my facebook friends list are my friends if I was to see them in the street or in the pub I would stop for a chat, I don't see the point in adding people I don't know.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    I had at its peak over 700 Facebook "friends", which I have now cut down to 215.

40 of them I'd class as friends, 12 of which are close friends.

If you're on Facebook, how many of your "friends" are actual friends?

Well it depends how you define "friends". Only a very few are close friends. Most are acquaintances, fellow coin collectors, coin dealers and colleagues who I get on well with.

Considering how many individuals most folk are "friends" with on facebook (average about 150), it would be difficult to class all of them as "close" to anybody. But they are nice people who are great to exchange views with.

Facebook is what you want it to be. If it's just close friends and family, you'll only have a few on your list. If you extend it wider, it'll be many more. Most of my family, incidentally, I wouldn't have as friends at all, if they weren't family, as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them if I met them in passing, as strangers.
    Red John wrote: »
    I have some acquaintances on there, people I don't consider friends as such but are useful to me so I keep in touch. The rest are close friends and family. I don't think I've ever had a friends list over 100 though. Usually when I leave people behind - ex girlfriends or ex colleagues etc - I consider them history and don't see the point in keeping in touch unless there's a specific reason to.

I wouldn't unfriend an ex colleague, just because they were an ex colleague (eg: left or retired). It's no skin off my nose to keep them as a friend, and hopefully they feel the same about me.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I was playing a game on Facebook and had over 200 friends to help speed up progress.

When I quit playing I cut it down to 90. All but 15 I know offline and consider friends. The others are people I've been conversing with on a different forum for the past 15 years so I know pretty well - I've met several offline but would consider them more as acquaintances.