Options

Gut stasis in rabbits post spay

pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
Forum Member
I am feeling so frustrated at the moment. :( I had 2 rabbits spayed last Friday and they were doing Ok straight after they came home, eating a bit etc. Anyway, one of them has been up and down with gut stasis and had to have an emergency vet appointment yesterday morning, and was given an injection to stimulate her gut.

Anyway, she is now fine, but I have come home from work to find the other one with the same problem!! The vets is closed, so I think if I can't get her eating soon I'm going to have to call the emergency vet. I have been trying to syringe feed her Selective Recovery (or whatever it is called), as well as water and a probiotic.

I just don't know what I am doing wrong!!! It must be something I'm feeding or not feeding?? They have been eating grass, hay, dried food and veggies. Please help, any rabbit savvy people out there!!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Have you visited these rabbit forums Rabbits United and Rabbits only they're both quite helpful. :) Hope your bunny is OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks :) Have just got back from the vets. This is all getting very expensive. Am very glad I took her though, as she was pretty dehydrated and ill. Here's hoping she'll eat now her gut is moving again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they really charge you for post-operative complications??
    Where I work, we routinely give rabbits metoclopramide injections whenever they have abdominal surgery - to prevent gut stasis. And any post-operative complications are included in the price of the operation...
    I hope they're both still doing well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's been back to the vets yet again today - have had to pay lots more for yet more treatment. She had to have x rays today to check the blockage. It was a whole load of food that was just going nowhere. I am now on 'poo watch' in the hope that it all emerges at the other end! She's eaten a bit now too, so... fingers crossed.