EE- "Not Ben" Ben and "Not Lauren" Lauren

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone else finding it really difficult to adjust to the new interpretation of the characters? I think it would have been easier if they'd either changed just how they look or just how they behave but with them being totally different I keep thinking they're new characters.

Maybe they're planning on marrying them off to each other, having Lauren have a baby by someone else and having a "Not Mitchell" Mitchell.:D

But the way things have been going, the dad would have to be Jack and seeing as they're uncle and niece that'd just be wrong!:eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I think new Ben needs slapping down. I don't know, I can't take to the recasts, Lauren seems forced, Ben is almost completely a new character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bens great, Lauren's just wrong and PMSL, You say that Re Jack, but (potental) Granddad, and Daughter-in-law (Max and staceys just as weird).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind Lauren but I've not taken to the new Ben, I think it's because they have changed his personality
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have already got used to new Lauren, tbh I did by the second week of her being in it. New Ben is taking longer, but I really hope he does turn in to the square's new resident psycho.
  • NPPNPP Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. I like them. They actually urge an emotion out of the viewer instead of the "why is he/she here" feeling that the previous actors gave? Now I'll say Charlie (the original Ben) was just funny, but Madeline had no presence whatsoever...neither of them did, but Charlie was just funny as Ben. The new actress who plays Lauren actually plays her. She makes her despise the character. The new Ben feels more of a Mitchell than the old one, though I think it would be somewhat difficult for them to refer to Ben's old dancing Gaga days lol. I just can't see the new Ben doing something like that haha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I know recasts happen, but it's obvious EastEnders used these recasts to completely change the characters to fit in with new story lines. There is no proper explanation for why Lauren and Ben have changed so much personality wise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Why does Ben have to "feel like a Mitchell", that's kind of what made his character somewhat interesting, despite the actors limitations. If new Ben is going to be a mini-Phil I'd rather he didn't come back in, the Mitchells are tired, Phil is just an overweight tub of lard that the whole Square is in awe of for some insane reason.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    New Ben hasnt had enough time to be judged, but he's been back nearly a fortnight and has said very little.

New Lauren talks, walks and acts like Old Lauren, only less rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they want Jay and Ben to be the new Grant and Phil
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,928
    Forum Member
    if it turns out ben is only acting this way because he's a "mitchell" and is what expected of him then its in character. if hes doing it to be bad on purpose then yeah theyve ruined him :(
  • NPPNPP Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheStiggy wrote: »
    Why does Ben have to "feel like a Mitchell", that's kind of what made his character somewhat interesting, despite the actors limitations. If new Ben is going to be a mini-Phil I'd rather he didn't come back in, the Mitchells are tired, Phil is just an overweight tub of lard that the whole Square is in awe of for some insane reason.

No one said anything about him being a mini-Phil, I think many people would hate that, but the old Ben just didn't mash in, acting-wise, that's what I meant.
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to wonder if new-Ben hasn't got his Equity membership and literally isn't allowed to speak! There's just such a huge discrepancy between the little boy who left and the young man in his place - if he'd been 'away' for 3 years it would be more realistic.

new-Lauren has just fitted straight in IMO and it saves me having to wonder every episode how come Lauren has got olive skin and is smaller than Abbey!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Can't get used to Ben ( early days i suppose)

getting more used to Lauren now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jay2009 wrote: »
    Bens great, Lauren's just wrong and PMSL, You say that Re Jack, but (potental) Granddad, and Daughter-in-law (Max and staceys just as weird).

I can't make any sense of what you've just wrote. :confused:
  • RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    Ben is okay so far. Lauren does my head in! The old Lauren smiled SOMETIMES and had some sweet moments with Abi & Peter. I hate the moody face and voice of new Lauren, I don't know why, maybe it's her vendetta against Stacey, I just don't like her.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm fully accustomed to the new Lauren now. I don't really buy into people's belief that she has changed a lot - she's just a lot more.. dramatic. Not exactly a shocker for a teenage girl to suddenly become a complete drama queen.

The new Ben is going to take some getting used to though. The actor doesn't seem bad, I just find it so difficult to deal with the personality overhaul. I get that they want to show that prison changed Ben, but that much? Ben isn't a hardman. He listens to showtunes and dresses up as Lady Gaga.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben is okay so far. Lauren does my head in! The old Lauren smiled SOMETIMES and had some sweet moments with Abi & Peter. I hate the moody face and voice of new Lauren, I don't know why, maybe it's her vendetta against Stacey, I just don't like her.

I agree, the new Lauren is far too angsty.

I'm sick of her constantly miserable face.

And what does she do all day? She's not at college or working?
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't really care about the new ben, can't stand the new Lauren.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben, I agree with you on. Lauren, I don't.

Lauren is pretty much the same character, just better acted and a lot more open and loud. She's the same as she was last year - but a better written character.

As for Ben, dear Lord. Awful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I think the re-casting of Lauren actually worked, really enjoying new Lauren, the actress is much better than the original.

As for Ben, dear god I thought the old one was bad, but at least that character had some redeeming qualities, this new one is horrendously bad
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I like new Ben, but I don't see him as Ben, just another one of Phil's sons with the same name, he's too different.
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Ben just doesn't seem right 2bh, I dunno maybe he will grow on me.
    New Lauren - Can't stand her, as it has been previously mentioned, maybe its due to her vandetta against Stacey.
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    I like Lauren - i really care when she comes onto the screen and she just feels more of a branning - when the old one was on - i just thought "who cares?"

The New Ben is growing on me - he's not done a lot yet, but by certain comments you can tell he still is the old Ben(Wanting approval from his dad, musicals etc)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any other Fringe fans who have just accepted that they have both "crossed over".
  • CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think both recasts were great, the former actors weren't the best. The old Lauren had no presence on screen and was just an annoying little girl. This new one has a bit of attitude and can bounce off the cast quite well. Her scenes with Jake Wood are good too, there's a good chemistry between them. And it's the same with Ben, the last actor was quite bad, even if he was a sweet kid.

For those who query why the change in character happened too, both characters went through life changing experiences that evolved them as people, albeit different on scale.

Ben was obviously in an environment where if you aren't toughened up you won't survive, so his character now having balls of steel is no surprise. But when he was back, Jane offered to take him to a show and he nodded, so he's not completely changed. And Lauren obviously was in America, different culture and everything and it obviously had a big effect on her too.