Options

How often do you have junk food/takeaways?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
Forum Member
Inspired by the KFC wedding story... We live in an era of food snobbery and health consciousness. Do you follow the healthy eating, five-a-day recommendations? How much of your diet is bad stuff (fried takeaways, junk food etc. )?

As for myself I probably have a 'bad' junk food takeaway once every couple of months, maybe a Chinese or Indian takeaway every couple of weeks (which is borderline junk food IMHO). Rest of the time it's proper cooked from scratch meals (or restaurant meals).

Comments

• Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once or twice a month, we don't have any KFC's or MacDonalds etc in this town anyway, all those places are a ferry journey away!:D

I'll order a chinese take-away occasionally though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone actually manage the 5 a day thing, I wonder? I think I probably get about 3.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about once a week takeaways for me. Though recently I've been a bit inspired by Jamie Oliver's 30 min meals after seeing how easy it is to make decent meals, more or less from scratch.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I never have takeaways and I don't go to town where the fast food places are.

I don't eat five a day and I don't have a healthy diet either.

I tend to eat whatever I fancy.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    Does anyone actually manage the 5 a day thing, I wonder? I think I probably get about 3.

Same here, 2 or 3 a day usually.
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takeaway once a week. And 5 a day? rarely.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do try my best for my 5 a day and probably manage it 5 days out of 7

As for takeaways, I have one Indian a month. Apart from that, I don't eat stuff like KFC, McDs or the like ever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I never have takeaways and I don't go to town where the fast food places are.

I don't eat five a day and I don't have a healthy diet either.

I tend to eat whatever I fancy.

lol what do you actually then? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'd very hard to eat 5 a day every day. I can manage a glass of fruit juice, some veg with the main meal and a piece of fruit - but never 5. I find it hard to eat enough to have a balanced diet: if I eat more fruit, I end up sacrificing fibre and so on.

I'm sure I have takeaways too often, but they are usually fish & chips/Chinese/pizza and not McDonald's or Burger King. I have one McDonald's a year, maybe, if I've forgotten how bad they are.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    lol what do you actually then? :)
    What do I actually eat? Well, all sorts. Pasta most of the time. Last night we had chicken korma and pilau rice. Tonight I'm having chicken pie with kale and sweetcorn.

A couple of days last week I just had toast, or beans on toast, supplemented by bags of Quavers because I couldn't be bothered.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely eat takeaways, probably only a handful of times each year.

I love fruit and veg, and probably eat around 5-8 portions each day without even thinking about it. I eat a mountain of vegetables with dinner most nights! I always eat wholemeal bread instead of white, and lots of lean protein (egg whites, lean meat).

I'm not that virtuous though. I eat a lot of chocolate and biscuits, drink wine, skip some meals and eat out a few times a month.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chinese tonight.

I've already got the menu out :o

poor Hobbit jnr. has to eat her five a day though.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a Chinese about once a fortnight and supermarket pizzas, perhaps once every 3 weeks or something. We also buy some ready meals and cook. We quite often manage five a day but not always. Three today, only, I think it'll be.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I avoid takeaways as much as possible now. I've been on weight watchers for 7 months now and I wouldn't be able to eat for the rest of the day of i got a takeaway, I have no will power when it comes to things like that so I won't risk it! lol. In the last 7 months I've had fish n chips twice (one around Christmas time, I refused to diet around Christmas, too much good food around lol) and takeaway pizza once, again around Christmas time.

With the 5 a day issue, I've managed it for a few weeks now. I have 2 different pieces of fruit for breakfast and along with my lunch I have a pepper, a chunk of cucumber and a couple of carrots all chopped up. I'm assuming they all count. I know potato's don't which sucks because I have potato with my dinner almost every day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too much :D

Have at least one take away a week, never have 5 a day, skip meals, snack too much, drink coffee or fizzy drinks all day.

No wonder my weight is forever up and down.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I had a chinese takeaway a couple of weeks ago, before that I hadn't had any kind of takeaway for maybe 2 years.

I don't eat 5 a day on purpose but I probably do eat near enough that everyday in the meals - I don't like fruit much though so my 5 a day would mostly be made up with vegetables.

I have a wee bit of chocolate here and there, maybe a packet of parma violets or some boiled sweets, and drumstick chews I like them, other than that I make my own things, tablet, toffee, profiteroles, cheesecake, biscuits - so I don't know if that counts as junk, I convince myself they aren't and don't make them that often.:o

When I am drinking and I want a savoury snack:D then I'll have some crisps, sometimes cheese and pickled onions, and a lot of the time I make fresh salsa and guacamole and have them with doritos.

Reading that I do eat a lot of tripe.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only junk food I have sometimes is chips, but seeing as how they come from potatoes, how can this be classed as junk?
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    The only junk food I have sometimes is chips, but seeing as how they come from potatoes, how can this be classed as junk?

it's the oil or fat they're prepared in. I have roasted potatoes a lot (yum) but I use low fat spray instead of oil to make it healthier.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's the oil or fat they're prepared in. I have roasted potatoes a lot (yum) but I use low fat spray instead of oil to make it healthier.

Ah, I see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    a couple of times a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Not often enough, unfortunately. Once every month or two is about the norm for me and Mrs M.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inspired by the KFC wedding story... We live in an era of food snobbery and health consciousness. Do you follow the healthy eating, five-a-day recommendations? How much of your diet is bad stuff (fried takeaways, junk food etc. )?

As for myself I probably have a 'bad' junk food takeaway once every couple of months, maybe a Chinese or Indian takeaway every couple of weeks (which is borderline junk food IMHO). Rest of the time it's proper cooked from scratch meals (or restaurant meals).
    Restaurant meals taste yummy but are filled with salt, butter and loads of other bad things to make them taste nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe once a week ? Usually a chinese or a chippy,although if my dad goes into town i might ask him get me something from greggs :o sucker for a sausage and bean melt!

I dont eat my five day because i simply dont like vegetables ,i drink ALOT of fruit juice though but i doubt that counts :rolleyes:
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

when you blend the fruit in a blender that you drink, its easy and it does make a difference.

I have fish & chips twice or three times a week but I pay me fat tax (exercise) 3 x 3/4 hour exercise hard sessions & a 18 mile walk a week but I'm not perfect (all that my body is a temple crap) and like a beer & a ciggy when I drink
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That sounds awful