Options

The Simpsons on Channel 4

ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone noticed lately whenever the continuity announcers introduce The Simpsons ... they always say 'The Timpsons' or 'Sampsons'. Basically anything except 'Simpsons'?

And more importantly, does anyone know why?

Comments

• Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres been numerous threads about this over the past few days no idea why Channel 4 is doing this though , could have sworn they said 'The Thompson's the other day too and there is infact and episode where they are called that to escape Sideshow Bob when they go to Terror Lake :D
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they not realise that this stopped being funny, if ever it was, after about the third time? Is it not time to drop it now and grow up?
  • Options
    pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since this is a thread about The Simpsons being shown on Channel 4, I just wanted to say it makes me wonder when Channel 4 gets round to showing the newer episodes of The Simpsons, will Channel 4 have the rights to show then in HD? :confused:
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since this is a thread about The Simpsons being shown on Channel 4, I just wanted to say it makes me wonder when Channel 4 gets round to showing the newer episodes of The Simpsons, will Channel 4 have the rights to show then in HD? :confused:

I think it's 4 years after whenever Sky showed them.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the HD season is being shown on 4, was it on the HD channel in HD?
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    I notice the HD season is being shown on 4, was it on the HD channel in HD?

They are highlighted as being HD on the EPG.
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was in HD, complete with 4HD dog and preceded with the Tokyo ident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks :). Makes a change for something to be flagged right on 4HD EPG. They also miss the W a lot even on the SD channel, like for the new Sinpsons.

PJ
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Thanks :). Makes a change for something to be flagged right on 4HD EPG. They also miss the W a lot even on the SD channel, like for the new Sinpsons.

PJ

I don't think there is a need for W tags these days now practically everything news is in widescreen, the papers used to do colour tags when that was new and stopped doing that when it became mainstream.
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still interesting channel 4 has plus 1 rights and sky 1 doesnt however
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    still interesting channel 4 has plus 1 rights and sky 1 doesnt however
    Channel 4 are obviously willing to pay for the extra showings where as Sky aren't.

They are only licenced to air programmes a certain amount of times.
    Showing programmes on a +1 is classed as two different airings, some channels decide not to waste an airing allocation on a +1 channel.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are C4 still doing this?
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Are C4 still doing this?

No.

Instead they are introducing the Simpsons and then saying something like "and today I am dressed as a llama" or "today I am wearing a tea cosy" and other such randomness.

*not actual quotes, just an idea
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but when they aired the first HD episode, the announcer added something along the lines of "is it just me, or do the titles look different?" Funny thing is, it also looked different on one of the last pre-HD episodes, because a Christmas version was used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a need for W tags these days now practically everything news is in widescreen, the papers used to do colour tags when that was new and stopped doing that when it became mainstream.

I guess you could say that about most of the letters on the EPG. For example DD, well you should be able to hear and see on your amp, or HD you should be able to tell. Must be the OCD in me that likes them all to be there regardless :-)

PJ
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    It was in HD, complete with 4HD dog and preceded with the Tokyo ident.
    Strange that they used the Tokyo ident when they have a HD Simpsons ident they could have used instead.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    izanami wrote: »
    No.

Instead they are introducing the Simpsons and then saying something like "and today I am dressed as a llama" or "today I am wearing a tea cosy" and other such randomness.

*not actual quotes, just an idea

Oh. Hilarious :(
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Oh. Hilarious :(
    No less funny than the programme itself nowadays. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see that Channel 4 are showing one new episode a day rather than just once a week :-)

PJ
  • Options
    Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    No less funny than the programme itself nowadays. :p

but I think since the new season began this season which is now on 4 is better than current seasons, and IMO it has always been great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Strange that they used the Tokyo ident when they have a HD Simpsons ident they could have used instead.
    They use that ident the majority of the time, but sometimes the regular idents slip in. Not sure why, since the Simpsons ident is a programme specific one only used for that one show.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Season 22 starts tonight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do they NEVER run trailers in advance when they air new to Freeview episodes? :mad: