Is £200 too much to pay to go to a concert?

Comments

• 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Springsteen live. I know he is doing some stadium dates this summer but two tickets, travel, hotel etc we would probably be looking at £300-350 for a night out.

I know he does a great set but we just can't justify that kind of expenditure on one night. Like others say on here illegal downloading whilst socially acceptable has hit artist royalties so they are making up for it with tour tickets.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    She'll probably mime. Like she did at the Superbowl.

True.

I prefer it when she mimes though it sounds better.

You go to her concerts more for the show than the singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    And everyone in the crowd, can give her the finger :D:D:D

MIA is great as well, I don't care what she did :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Dodder? That's a laugh.
    When I went to see him he was on stage for 2hrs 50min, beginning to end without any break. He was 61 years old back then.

However long on stage he was, he still does embarrassing Dad at wedding dancing
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Most I've ever paid for a gig ticket was £25
    And that was Live Aid
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    I prefer it when she mimes though it sounds better.

Then why on earth is she worth £200 of your money if you don't even want to hear her sing?! :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I pay around that for festivals every year :)

The only single band gig that I would pay £200 for would be a "one time only" reunion tour by The Smiths where all the tickets had sold out leaving me in the hands of touts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when it comes to concerts, you need to view it more as an experience and an event in your year, rather than a single night of enjoyment. While it does sound steep for a few hours' entertainment, I think it's worth it perhaps for a highlight of your year. Most normal concert goers will only see one or maybe a few in a year, so it's not that extravagant. How many people buy an expensive cup of coffee every work day? In a year you're probably spending more than £200 on something that will last a few minutes.

I haven't yet had to spend that much on tickets, but when factoring in a hotel and transportation, it does cost a few hundred pounds to go see a concert. I saw two last year, both memorable experiences, and probably spent less than I'd spend on Coca Cola or takeaways in a normal year. Well worth it, so I can see how Madonna fans might think £200 is worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why on earth is she worth £200 of your money if you don't even want to hear her sing?! :confused:

like I said you're really paying for the whole show - whether she's singing everything live or not doesn't really bother me.

and to be fair she normally sings most of the concert live - just mimes the odd track
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    seriosly :rolleyes: who would pay £200 to see madonna :rolleyes: id pay £200+ for decent seats to see an artist like rihanna or beyonce who can actually sing and wouldnt bore me to deth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ticket prices have been going up for some time. Clearly the music industry is doomed.
    "As Madonna fans in the UK know to their cost, tickets for rock and pop concerts keep getting more expensive."
    2006 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4896262.stm
    In the supposedly benighted music business, a lot of things are making money.
    Between 1999 and 2009 concert-ticket sales in America tripled in value. It is not that more people are going to concerts. Rather, they are paying more to get in. In 1996 a ticket to one of America’s top 100 concert tours cost $25.81. If prices had increased in line with inflation, the average ticket would have cost $35.30 last year. In fact it cost $62.57. Well-known acts charge much more. The worldwide average ticket price to see Madonna last year was $114. For Simon & Garfunkel it was an eye-watering $169. Leading musicians have also, by roundabout means, seized a larger share of the mysterious “service” charges that are often tacked onto tickets.

2010 - http://www.economist.com/node/17199460
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Compared to what though, as said live performances are kind of unique experience. But I'd rather spend for an act that actually sings....

The prices are as they are because her fans are older, the bands that make the most money like the stones have old fans..they bid up the ticket prices.
    Forum Member
    yappy wrote: »
    seriosly :rolleyes: who would pay £200 to see madonna :rolleyes: id pay £200+ for decent seats to see an artist like rihanna or beyonce who can actually sing and wouldnt bore me to deth
    I'd pay to get out of a place where Rihanna or Beyonce were performing.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £200 :eek: ... get drunk and listen to the CD .. it's cheaper and you don't have to be in the same room as Madonna :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd pay £200 for a night
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    I'd pay to get out of a place where Rihanna or Beyonce were performing.

well then, you dont have good taste in music do you :p
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I really wanted to go to a concert, and it cost £200, I'd definitely pay it because it'd be worth it.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However long on stage he was, he still does embarrassing Dad at wedding dancing
    McCartney isn't a dancer :confused:.......he's a musician!

All the Concerts i've been I went to see and listen to music played by musicians that know how to play instruments.

McCartney
    Eric Clapton
    BB King
    John Mayall
    Shania Twain
    George Thorogood
    Leslie West
    Mark Knopfler
    Bert Jansch
    Rolling Stones
    Forum Member
    yappy wrote: »
    well then, you dont have good taste in music do you :p
    Yes.
    The likes of Rihanna and Beyonce are 10 a penny when compared to the greats
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right at the front - standing in the gold circle. But how many people get to stand there? I'll be gutted if I don't get a REALLY good view!

I wouldn't pay that amount to see any artist...I don't like madonna so defo would pay that to see her. But the view of a fan is different, if you love her then surely it is worth it, its one of those things that are a rarity and you may never get the chance again, so if you can afford it then go for it.

But £200 pound to stand for about 3 hour and more...I would have gone for a seating ticket...cus i'm lazy like that...lol
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Yes.
    The likes of Rihanna and Beyonce are 10 a penny when compared to the greats

Exactly.

You'd have to pay me £200 to sit through a Rihanna concert
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey. And I thought £30 odd was pricey to see Jimmy Carr. Don't think I would pay over £30 to see any artist when, with the bigger artists at least, DVDs are released of their best gigs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Exactly.

You'd have to pay me £200 to sit through a Rihanna concert

Likewise. I respect Beyonce as she is damned good at what she does, even though I do not like what she does.

I respect Madonna because even though she is no great singer, she has stood the test of time and managed to stay at the top of her game.

Rhianna just comes across as coarse and nasily and does not seem to have much going for her.
  • Silent-loveSilent-love Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    £200? How much did she charge when she was good then? £1000?

This is what I payed to see her in Leeds.

Before they got greedy and blamed pirates for loss of earnings.

£200? not on your Nelly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I payed to see her in Leeds.

Before they got greedy and blamed pirates for loss of earnings.

Oooohh what was it like?