Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    It might be a man- we have no official confirmation it is a woman.

So, Mick Hucknall anyone?!
  • Options
    Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Don't think any old person will touch the contest after Engelberts result.

Someone already has.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be a man- we have no official confirmation it is a woman.

So, Mick Hucknall anyone?!

his last album did reasonably well on the continent

"During a series of interviews promoting the American Soul album, Hucknall revealed that he has also been working on an album of original material, to be released after American Soul has reached the end of its life cycle."

From his wikipage
  • Options
    nmojonesnmojones Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Now that it's not Alex i'm just not sure, she seemed like the only feasible option. No idea any more. Would also love Tyler James, but I doubt he'd do it. Would also love Olly Murs, but again I don't think he'd do it :(
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly is a total fame **** so I wouldn't be that surprised.

He has some interesting and catchy songs too. I would be happy with him. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spindiddly wrote: »
    Olly is a total fame **** so I wouldn't be that surprised.

He has some interesting and catchy songs too. I would be happy with him. :)

Olly had a No.1 in Germany and Switzerland, and is touring Germany, so at least he's not un-heard of in Europe :)
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olly was a huge supporter of Blue in 2011. The list with the unlikely off it and the few denials is going into uh oh territory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Olly was a huge supporter of Blue in 2011. The list with the unlikely off it and the few denials is going into uh oh territory.

Too right.

Only Paloma sounds interesting now, and she said those spiteful things about it a few years back.

Bonnie Tyler set up a Twitter account last week- almost seems like they were getting her ready for the announcement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm officially not supporting the UK if it's someone over 40.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    spindiddly wrote: »
    Anyone that's not an old, washed up, has been is an improvement.

And theres no way we can have a song as dull as last year AGAIN! Surely?
    Don't think any old person will touch the contest after Engelberts result.
    nmojones wrote: »
    I'm officially not supporting the UK if it's someone over 40.

*sigh*

His age wasn't a factor - the bad song and bad performance were pretty much entirely at fault.

There's absolutely no reason why he couldn't have done a "Tom Jones" and reinvent himself with a decent song, especially considering the quality of the team the BBC hired to write and produce the song. However, it wasn't to be - they wrote a bad song and Engelbert sung it badly, and the rest is history.

Although considering how bad his vocals were, maybe he should have sung a dance number then no one would care, just like with the current crop of pop moppets... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    globbits wrote: »
    *sigh*

His age wasn't a factor - the bad song and bad performance were pretty much entirely at fault.

There's absolutely no reason why he couldn't have done a "Tom Jones" and reinvent himself with a decent song, especially considering the quality of the team the BBC hired to write and produce the song. However, it wasn't to be - they wrote a bad song and Engelbert sung it badly, and the rest is history.

Although considering how bad his vocals were, maybe he should have sung a dance number then no one would care, just like with the current crop of pop moppets... ;)

Engelbert had a chance to do a Tom Jones outside of the contest. Gorillaz wanted him as a guest vocalist on one of their tracks, but his manager turned them down without telling Eng- who was furious saying he really wanted to do something modern!

They got Bobby Womack instead.

The Hump could have used last years contest as that reinvention- rather than being given that bland ballad, he could have asked for something darker, or with a stronger melody?

Maybe even a Titanium style dance song- Sia isn't known for that kind of music outside of her Guetta collaborations.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh*

I know his age wasn't a factor but I still think it would put them off, I'm there are over 40's in the music industry that could win for us too
  • Options
    contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    *sigh*

*double sigh*

*thinks of Logan's Run* ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know his age wasn't a factor but I still think it would put them off, I'm there are over 40's in the music industry that could win for us too

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell....

(Little clue there as to which artist over 40 could win it for us.... again ;))
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now I'm getting a mental image of Enge performing Amazing, light-up bodysuits and all :eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now I'm getting a mental image of Enge performing Amazing, light-up bodysuits and all :eek::D

Funny you should say that...

http://www.costumesgalore.net/oompa_loompa.html
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Still crossing fingers for Paloma. I'm sticking to that until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    contejas wrote: »
    *double sigh*

*thinks of Logan's Run* ;)

Isn't that the film where all us oldies penned all the kids up inside a big dome, just so we can enjoy a quiet and happy life in the rest of the world? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Yeah, good job there weren't internet forums back then
    (Especially as the only time they *really* deserved to win in my opinion was '96... That's a true timeless classic!)"

In your eyes for Niamh Kavanagh is a great ESC song and deserved the victory in 1993. And don't forget Ireland helped modernise the contest in 1988 with the presentation. 1993 was a wonderful achievement in a small equestrian town and 1994 brought the world Riverdance and huge kudos to the contest. So be glad for the production values of RTE through the years.

I think it will be the Pet Shop Boys for the Uk.

Very disappointing Serbia are not sending Dusan.

I can see this being the closest contest voting wise for a very long time. I can't temember the last time there was a nailbiting finish. That would be good fun if it came down to last jury like 1988 and 1993.

As we are on a new thread here is the poll for this week.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiH3fvCRQTt-XDPUJzNa2NhFCP1s_TnVS
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone like A*M*E would be cool. Sounds like she needs some help atm. Yes, I realise how unrealistic I'm being, I think this is what they call 'clutching'.

Lucie Jones?

*clutches harder*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Katsuya wrote: »

:eek: :eek::eek:
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971