Bill Very Oddie

13»

Comments

• CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    So in your book it was people who want to protect kids who ruined things, not the child molesters. Sick.

I absolutely LOVE how you managed to twist my post into that.

Never underestimate the determination of forum members with an agenda, I guess. :eek:
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, condemn him without a trial because he has earned a few quid. Thats the mentality that sees mud stick regardless of the truth of an allegation. Rolf Harris has been convicted and charged with NOTHING so why do you have to side with anyone?

If he is charged and found guilty then, yeah, hate him and rightly so but at this stage its just ridiculous.

What planet you on? How do you think Jimmy Saville got away with it for so long?

Show empathy with victims not celebs you are starry eyed over!
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure it's possible for most people to empathise with a victim's trauma has suffered and still respect for the legal process.
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

I've just listened to Russell Brand, who talking about his 5 shags a day said, "you're like talking to them (women) and then it's like, shall we?"

To suggest things are different now I'd say is wrong.

Brand is clearly going to end up like these accused celebs at some point in the future.
  • QueeniepopsQueeniepops Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonm01 wrote: »
    Brand is clearly going to end up like these accused celebs at some point in the future.

Why ??????
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I'm sure it's possible for most people to empathise with a victim's trauma has suffered and still respect for the legal process.

Ooh eck, that'll teach me to edit and re-edit a post. Once more in English ...

I'm sure it's possible for most people to empathise with a victim about the trauma they have suffered yet still show some respect for the legal process.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What planet you on? How do you think Jimmy Saville got away with it for so long?

But you don't know if she's telling the truth. She might have made it all up, in which case he's the real victim.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

Jimmy Savile "got away with it" for a whole number of reasons that need to come to light.

You show empathy with victims as soon as they are actually confirmed as being the victim.

When you put your reactionary nonsense away you might want to look at a more reasoned response.

I have nothing but sympathy for anyone who was the victim of any sort of abuse. Thats not really a radical viewpoint. I also believe that you have to be innocent until proven guilty. That is the ethos that will prove me innocent if i am falsely accused so it should also be the benchmark to convict the guilty.

It has nothing to do with celebrity. Quite the opposite actually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who in this thread is starry eyed? Or is not wishing to condemn someone who's guilt (or not) we don't yet know being starry eyed in your world?
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who in this thread is starry eyed? Or is not wishing to condemn someone who's guilt (or not) we don't yet know being starry eyed in your world?

I doubt Rolf has ever made anyone starry eyed, he was hardly David Essex or one of them other poster boys of the seventies.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    I doubt Rolf has ever made anyone starry eyed.

Unless he hit them on the head with his didgeridoo.:D
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    It could have been. The power disparity between the wealthy celebrity employer and his secretary raises questions about issues of actual consent. The problem with a lot of these older guys is that they think that behaviour that to them was just a bit of fun, may not have been to the people they were doing it to. But they may have felt that they had no choice but to go along with it.

I agree - and I actually think Oddie's defence of Rolf has actually done him harm by suggesting that he was a bit too 'hands on' with his female employees. Interesting he assumes that is where the complaint came from ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    I doubt Rolf has ever made anyone starry eyed, he was hardly David Essex or one of them other poster boys of the seventies.

Although I liked him on Animal Hospital, and his contributions to Kate Bush's music, I've never really "got" the Rolf Harris as a national treasure thing. So no starry eyed defense of him going on here.