Teacher might lose his job for pushing someone who spat at him

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I hate this.

A couple of weeks/maybe a month ago I was in my classroom when two boys, who were departing, got into a fight. When I tried to interfere I got hit with a table. I'm barely 5'0" and both boys were bigger than me. But you know what? "They're bigger than me and can hurt me" was actually #3 on my list of priorities.

#1 - If I break this up and have to push one of them around to get him off the other, am I going to be at risk?
    #2 - What if I don't break it up and one of them hurts the other?
    #3 - What if I get hurt?

My most important priority on that list should not have been there, and yet that's the culture we live in. And after hitting me with a table, the boy in question was back in my form the following week.

That was assault. You should be pressing charges. The head should be expelling the little shit.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Whatever any of us think about this incident, whether he was justified or not, unless you have been on the receiving end of protracted anti social behaviour at the hand of a group of street yobs, we can't really condemn or support his actions

Exactly. People may pontificate on how adults shouldn't hit children which, of course, is absolutely true, but when you've been driven to the absolute edge of despair by the behaviour of someone else then I'm afraid any reaction in your mind becomes justifiable.

When I was living underneath my old neighbour and things got really bad, I sometimes surprised myself at some of the thoughts I had about what I wanted to do to her. at the time, I really don't think I would have cared stuff that she is female and about 20 years younger than me.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Strange comment! It suggests that, in your world, the kids call the shots!

I think there is a lot to be said for brining back corporal punishment. We had the cane at school but I can count on one hand the amount of times it was used in my years at the school! Even the threat of it maintained discipline and pupils never spoke to teachers the way they do today!

It's not going to happen though, is it. That is the reality, so we have to find another way forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have nothing to be shamed by, certainly not from someone who`d like to put a twelve year old in hospital.

It is people like you who have fostered this increasingly self absorbed culture amongst younger people.

Every time you hear of anti-social or criminal behaviour, you should be asking yourself if your mindset is partly to blame. I'd suggest that in many cases it is.

I'd be utterly ashamed to think like you.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    anais32 wrote: »
    When these stories come into the press, they usually only give one side (poor, abused teacher). Something tells me there is much more to this than he's claiming.

:rolleyes: Can that same sense tell me the lottery numbers coming up?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    It is people like you who have fostered this increasingly self absorbed culture amongst younger people.

Every time you hear of anti-social or criminal behaviour, you should be asking yourself if your mindset is partly to blame. I'd suggest that in many cases it is.

I'd be utterly ashamed to think like you.

i`ve managed to bring up four children as productive, caring, compassionate, polite, pleasant and happy adults without beating them, just as they are doing with their own children.

i`m proud not to share your twisted view of childcare.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the problems is that when someone films the children engaging in bullying, vandalism and antisocial behaviour, then the parents go wild.

They scream all sorts of pervert.

I believe it's actually because they DON'T want evidence of their children's misdemeanors to be out there, and unequivocal, because they don't want to handle it, they want to blame everyone else and deny their child's at fault - because then the responsiblity lies with them.

All CCTV and private footage of ugly behaviour should be followed up by the police, shown to the parents etc.

If they get stroppy, and refuse to sort it out, get social services involved.

Make it bloody hard and uncomfortable for them to shut their eyes and blame everyone else for their own, and their child's behaviour.

Keep bringing it back to them. Fine them if it's not sorted.

That will sort out all but the most hardened parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ve managed to bring up four children as productive, caring, compassionate, polite, pleasant and happy adults without beating them, just as they are doing with their own children.

i`m proud not to share your twisted view of childcare.

Hang on just a minute. Your attitude has a wider impact beyond your immediate sphere of influence and that cannot and should not go unrecognised.

People with your mindset influence policy and legalislation, thereby reducing the rights of other people to step in for less pro-active or capable parents.

You cannot dismiss the impact of your point of view and the expression thereof upon society as a whole.

That you do not recognise this suggests you're not really a thinker, more a talker and we all know talk is cheap - as do the kids of parents who do not enforce boundaries - to the detriment of us all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hang on just a minute. Your attitude has a wider impact beyond your immediate sphere of influence and that cannot and should not go unrecognised.

People with your mindset influence policy and legalislation, thereby reducing the rights of other people to step in for less pro-active or capable parents.

You cannot dismiss the impact of your point of view and the expression thereof upon society as a whole.

That you do not recognise this suggests you're not really a thinker, more a talker and we all know talk is cheap - as do the kids of parents who do not enforce boundaries - to the detriment of us all.

what a complete load of rubbish you spout.

it will NEVER be right to discipline a twelve year old child by "putting them in hospital".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a complete load of rubbish you spout.

it will NEVER be right to discipline a twelve year old child by "putting them in hospital".

The problem with people like you is YOU ARE TOO LITERAL.

Nobody seriously expects a child to end up in hospital after being punished for misbehaving.

Get a life.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody seriously expects a child to end up in hospital after being punished for misbehaving.

Get a life.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. We shouldn't take the words of tour posts at face value at all. Fair point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Yeah, I suppose you are right. We shouldn't take the words of tour posts at face value at all. Fair point.

Have I suddenly encountered a group of four year olds in here?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Get a life.

the problem with people like you is you type.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the problem with people like you is you type.

Brilliant. Do you come up with all your own material or is there a team of writers helping out with this gold?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get a life.
    You said "put the little **** in hospital".
    If you were exaggerating for effect, then you failed to communicate this. Your subsequent posts have done nothing to suggest you were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I suddenly encountered a group of four year olds in here?

Original stuff. Do all your posts consist of cheap insults and/or aggression?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    You said "put the **** in hospital".
    If you were exaggerating for effect, then you failed to communicate this. Your subsequent posts have done nothing to suggest you were.

What do you want me to do? List a bunch of criteria and reasonable responses to keep the pedants happy?

C'mon.

My subsequent posts were focused upon the impact of the mindset expressed by AK but that was clearly too difficult a subject so it turned into a ludicrous attack on a throw-away comment.

I've no time for people who can't appreciate the nuances of language, discussion and debate - particularly when they attempt to establish their view is morally superior but don't respond adequately to challenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, calling someone out for saying a child should be hospitalised by an adult is just pendantry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Original stuff. Do all your posts consist of cheap insults and/or aggression?

Only the ones which warrant it.

Is that a problem? Would you like to report it to teacher?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, calling someone out for saying a child should be hospitalised by an adult is just pendantry.

It is.

You guys need to get out more and engage in conversation with people - learn not to take everything so damned literally.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get a life.

It's an incredibly difficult situation for any householder confronted by a group of kids who have singled him and his house out for harassment.

Just WTF does he or she do ? Phone the police ? ~ useless

Try reasoning with them ? useless

Film them in the act ? ~ get accused of being a paedophile

Track down where they live (if you can) and remonstrate with their parents ? ~ get a load of further abuse

Shout at them ? ~ get accused of overreacting. Concerned neighbour phones the police who will probably be round in 30 seconds

Hit them ? ~ all stinking hell breaks loose

Sorry to say but the householder is shafted utterly, totally and completely. There is nothing he or she can do, and the best way out of it is to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one don't think it was literal.

Over the top, but not literal.

You've all done the 'calling out' now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've all done the 'calling out' now.

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's an incredibly difficult situation for any householder confronted by a group of kids who have singled him and his house out for harassment.

Just WTF does he or she do ? Phone the police ? ~ useless

Try reasoning with them ? useless

Film them in the act ? ~ get accused of being a paedophile

Track down where they live (if you can) and remonstrate with their parents ? ~ get a load of further abuse

Shout at them ? ~ get accused of overreacting. Concerned neighbour phones the police who will probably be round in 30 seconds

Hit them ? ~ all stinking hell breaks loose

Sorry to say but the householder is shafted utterly, totally and completely. There is nothing he or she can do, and the best way out of it is to leave.

That's the size of it.

And its a blight and shame on society that this happens, and so, so often.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was assault. You should be pressing charges. The head should be expelling the little shit.

That's not the worst that's happened to me. I had a student once throw a small block of wood at my head from about three feet away. It hit. He was isolated for a few days then marched down to apologise and was told that the student felt like I didn't like him.

It's all but impossible to get rid of a student.