Options

Do you do enough exercise?

Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23518037

'Most adults in England are risking their health by failing to get enough exercise, research suggests.

A University of Bristol-led study found 80% failed to meet the government target of taking moderate exercise at least 12 times in a four-week period.

Better-off and better-educated adults were most likely to exercise, while the poorer and least educated were most likely to be inactive.

The study analysed exercise data for more than a million adults in England.'

I do plenty of exercise, swimming, gym and kickboxing.

Why is it that poor and uneducated people are less likely to exercise? The link states that there is a direct correlation between the two, but why is that so? Exercise needn't cost anything.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be quite expensive to eat healthily and so poor and uneducated people tend to purchase cheaper processed foods and ready meals because they are ignorant to the benefits of healthier foods or choose to ignore the benefits because eating healthily is more effort than sticking a fork in film lid or emptying some frozen chips into the fryer (or oven for those that might make an attempt at eating healthier junk food)

I eat more than the recommended 5 fruit and veg a day and I've just worked out that I spend nearly £50 on fruit and vegetables a week just for myself.

I exercise regularly at least 3/4 times a week and I feel great for doing it. It all goes hand in hand though. if people are constantly abusing their bodies with processes foods they will be lacking the energy to do any or much exercise and will not only end up obese themselves but sadly produce a generation of obese children too.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If gyming, cycling and embarking on triathlons count as getting enough exercise, absolutely.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Bad, dreadful lazy, naughty rotten Rhumba that I am.:o

I will I will, tomorrow ish.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I couldn't imagine life without abit of exercise to be honest.

The feel good factor after a run, gym work out, swim, cycle or sports event is too good to be missing out on.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine life without abit of exercise to be honest.

The feel good factor after a run, gym work out, swim, cycle or sports event is too good to be missing out on.

I think I lack something because I have never gotten that "endorphin rush" that everyone talks about when they finish excercising.

I am the worlds laziest mofo and absolutely HATE excercising, but I recently found myself out of breath when walking up 2 flights of stairs so I recently joined the gym again.

I join every bloody year but normally end up quitting after 3 months so this time I decided I needed the extra help to keep me motivated so I now pay for a personal trainer to kick me up the backside.

However 4 months in I still hate exercising and I still don't get that "feel good factor", the only difference is I'm £250 quid less off each month for it!!!!!
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like pumping iron.

It really feels like flying.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently taken up cycling again, and try to do at least 10 miles every day, with a bigger ride at least once a week. This weekend I did upwards of 30 miles in one go, and was well chuffed.

And chafed :o
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like pumping iron.

It really feels like flying.

I like you too Roger :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    I think I lack something because I have never gotten that "endorphin rush" that everyone talks about when they finish excercising.

I am the worlds laziest mofo and absolutely HATE excercising, but I recently found myself out of breath when walking up 2 flights of stairs so I recently joined the gym again.

I join every bloody year but normally end up quitting after 3 months so this time I decided I needed the extra help to keep me motivated so I now pay for a personal trainer to kick me up the backside.

However 4 months in I still hate exercising and I still don't get that "feel good factor", the only difference is I'm £250 quid less off each month for it!!!!!

Maybe try finding something active that you do really enjoy doing? There are plenty of Grooupon deals around where you can try out different fitness places for next to nothing. I got cheap deals with loads of different places via Groupon and then I found one that I really enjoyed and now I zumba, boxercise and do bootcamps 3 or 4 times a week because they company I go to make it really fun.

I couldn't do the gym, so well done to you for sticking that as long as you did...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do you not feel healthier now that your 4 months in? If so then surely that must feel pretty good?

Maybe it might help doing something you'd more enjoy? The gym isn't everyone's cup of tea but there are many fitness classes you can go to these days which are aimed to make exercising more fun?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like you too Roger :)

It may be fortunate that your name is not just Iron, perhaps.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just recently signed up with a gym so I have been trying to improve my fitness. I have been about 4/ 5 times now and this is my 2nd week.

The worst part I find is the getting up earlier to go to the gym before work. Once I am up and on my way it's fine, I just find the getting up in the first place hard. I did try going after work once but it killed me, I find going before work easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe try finding something active that you do really enjoy doing? There are plenty of Grooupon deals around where you can try out different fitness places for next to nothing. I got cheap deals with loads of different places via Groupon and then I found one that I really enjoyed and now I zumba, boxercise and do bootcamps 3 or 4 times a week because they company I go to make it really fun.

I couldn't do the gym, so well done to you for sticking that as long as you did...

So far in the last 5 years or so I have tried
    Zumba
    Spin classes
    Akido
    Boxercise
    Swimming
    Jogging
    Rollerblading

Hated them all!

Problem is that I need something near work, I know for a fact that if I go home first or am near home then I'll just end up on the couch with a doobie and its game over for the evening. :D

Still willing to try everything though, hence paying for someone else to motivate me.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

The key thing is to find something you enjoy that just happens to be exercise, rather than exercising for the sake of it. If you don't like going to the gym, then don't go. Certainly don't spend £250 a month trying to force yourself to enjoy it. Take up a sport or get a dog to take for walks instead.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined a gym properly in January, and probably go 4/5 times a week now, I love going to classes like Boxercise and Circuit training but I hate actually just going to the gym although I love the feeling afterwards, like Joey J said - the feel good factor. It puts me in a better mood, I feel less stressed and I'm sleeping better now too.

I joined to lose some weight & tone up back in Jan, which I've now done but now just seems like going to the gym is part of my life now - doesnt seem like a chore at all anymore, just part of my routine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I started running again recently, and i need to start doing some weights and sit ups and that.

Whilst i'm not completely out of shape, i'm still a few stone heavier than i should be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Do you not feel healthier now that your 4 months in? If so then surely that must feel pretty good?

Maybe it might help doing something you'd more enjoy? The gym isn't everyone's cup of tea but there are many fitness classes you can go to these days which are aimed to make exercising more fun?

I admit I am healthier in that I'm not huffing and puffing after running or walking up stairs.

But I still dont have the motivation myself to get myself to the gym, when I'm there I don't work as hard as when I'm tortured by the personal trainer, and I have NEVER walked out thinking "that was great". I normally walk out thinking "oh god I feel so knackered" and then curse my PT when I can't walk the next day due to aching so much!!!

See above post, I try lots of different stuff, in the vain hope I will find something I enjoy.... but so far its been fruitless and just painful :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So far in the last 5 years or so I have tried
    Zumba
    Spin classes
    Akido
    Boxercise
    Swimming
    Jogging
    Rollerblading

Hated them all!

Problem is that I need something near work, I know for a fact that if I go home first or am near home then I'll just end up on the couch with a doobie and its game over for the evening. :D

Still willing to try everything though, hence paying for someone else to motivate me.

Fair play there!

You clearly seem to not be interested in fitness at all but are still will to try for the sake of health so good on you, if a personal trainer is motivating you then it's good work :)

Without some exercise the Chair/couch can kill you.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inspired by the Olympics I bought an exercise bike last summer. Used it 3-4 times but got bored and tired after 5 minutes so now it's a glorified clothes horse.

I don't mind walking though and often do a 5-6 mile walk. For a mid-week shop I try to make myself walk to the supermarket rather than drive the 1 mile each way. Walking there also means that you spend less money as you have to carry everything back.

I used to love swimming but got to hate being around other people getting the way. Now unless I can have a pool to myself, I'm not interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    The key thing is to find something you enjoy that just happens to be exercise, rather than exercising for the sake of it. If you don't like going to the gym, then don't go. Certainly don't spend £250 a month trying to force yourself to enjoy it. Take up a sport or get a dog to take for walks instead.

I used to have dogs and I LOVED taking them for long hikes at the weekend but unfortunately I lost them to my ex and I now live in a small flat and I work full time so don't have the time to dedicate to another dog :(

But yes that was my usual exercise before and one that I miss dearly.

Funnily enough I went for a walk through some woods with my bf recently and it just felt wrong without a dog :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not as much as I should. Although to be fair I am quite happy to avoid chavs screaming "jog on, c--t!" as they drive past in their little custom boy racer Fiat Puntos. I stretch and do yoga with weights at home, I go to MMA classes uptown and that may not make me ripped but my cardio and flexibility are good.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really need to get back into regular exercise. I have a treadmill and multi gym in the garage and up to Christmas I worked our or ran 4-5 times a week, I felt fit and after a good session got that feel good buzz.

After Christmas the snow put me off and when I did eventually try to go back I realised i had lost a lot of my fitness and managed to injure myself. Since then I have worked out sporadically and have lost some of my motivation. I feel i need to change and fortunately i am moving next week have a gym within walking distance of the new house and as i am not working (by choice and no I don't claim anything) have no reason not to start working on losing that extra stone i have gained this year.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen the inside of a gym. Walking a mile to the train station and back is about as much exercise as I get these days but I'd rather not waste my free time breathing in someone else's sweat while risking the kind of repetitive strain injury that put my Nautilus loving neighbour out of action with chronic back pain for three weeks.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 mile walk every lunch time all year round. A round of golf once or twice a week during the summer. I think I'm meeting whatever their latest claim is :)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But yes that was my usual exercise before and one that I miss dearly.

Funnily enough I went for a walk through some woods with my bf recently and it just felt wrong without a dog :(

Ever thought about starting a dog walking service? There must be people with dogs who are too lazy or busy to do it themselves. It could be a good way to get exercise and make some money!