Andrea Begley - The Message (Debut Album) - October 21st

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,527
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The winner of The Voice UK Andrea Begley releases her debut album next month and has uploaded an acoustic version of one of the songs, Dancing In The Dark (by Bruce Springsteen) on Youtube.

http://youtu.be/2-UsWFGGNOk

Comments

• my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's nowhere near as awful as it ought to be:eek:

however, the only 'message' you send with an album of covers is that this is the beginning and the end of my recording career
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrea has a very simple vocal style, might sound better if she got into the songs more. Although this version of 'Dancing in the Dark' sounds ok and could have been even more mournful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tracklisting is:

1. Ho Hey
    2. Dancing In The Dark
    3. Secret Smile
    4. Breakfast At Tiffany’s
    5. The Message (produced by Danny O’Donoghue)
    6. Lightning Bolt
    7. Angel
    8. Latch
    9. Autumn
    10. Take On Me
    11. Falling Slowly
    12. Love Will Tear Us Apart
    13: My Immortal

(Songs in bold are songs Andrea has written, and the one in italics is the only one I'm unsure of)

It's probably worth noting that it's been sitting around the #146-#150 mark on Amazon's chart for a few days now. Which isn't bad considering that there has been no promotion (and it should HOPEFULLY do better than Leanne's debut)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't realise she was going to be releasing an album full of cover songs. Very disappointing.

I know they probably wanted to strike while the iron was hot and not make the same mistake they did with Leanne but rushing out an album full of covers is really bad. I think Andrea and any winner of these shows deserve better. There is surely a happy medium between locking a winner away for a year and rush-releasing a covers album?
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    OneK wrote: »
    The tracklisting is:

1. Ho Hey
    2. Dancing In The Dark
    3. Secret Smile
    4. Breakfast At Tiffany’s
    5. The Message (produced by Danny O’Donoghue)
    6. Lightning Bolt
    7. Angel
    8. Latch
    9. Autumn
    10. Take On Me
    11. Falling Slowly
    12. Love Will Tear Us Apart
    13: My Immortal

(Songs in bold are songs Andrea has written, and the one in italics is the only one I'm unsure of)

It's probably worth noting that it's been sitting around the #146-#150 mark on Amazon's chart for a few days now. Which isn't bad considering that there has been no promotion (and it should HOPEFULLY do better than Leanne's debut)

I assume that's a cover of the brilliant 'Latch' by Disclosure and Sam Smith.

Can't say I'm excited that Andrea's essentially releasing a cover album. Quite interested to hear her original songs though.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listened to Dancing In The Dark. I think she has a pretty voice but there's just no emotion in her voice or her performance. I hope the album does alright though. She was treated harshly when she won and she'll get it ten times worse if the album flops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrea's new album is now being advertised on Youtube, with a performance of Dancing In The Dark being played before Youtube videos.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Zora wrote: »
    I didn't realise she was going to be releasing an album full of cover songs. Very disappointing.

I know they probably wanted to strike while the iron was hot and not make the same mistake they did with Leanne but rushing out an album full of covers is really bad. I think Andrea and any winner of these shows deserve better. There is surely a happy medium between locking a winner away for a year and rush-releasing a covers album?

Whatever happened to Leanne? Haven't heard anything about her recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to Leanne? Haven't heard anything about her recently.

Leanne's album didn't impact the charts at all when released (it got to #145) but I think there's a lot of hope for Andrea, the fact she's releasing the album so soon after The Voice, the promotion that has been happening (Songs Of Praise, Youtube advertisements, with more to come I'd imagine) and the concert dates in November to support the album, I really do think the album will do better than people think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be pre-ordering my copy soon.

For anyone who doesn't know, Andrea also released a free download of a song by her called "Just A Task"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you pre-order Andrea's album on iTunes you get the title track to download.

(The previews are also on iTunes. The Message and Love Will Tear Us Apart sound brilliant)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrea is currently on QVC. She just performed Dancing In The Dark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrea's performing on SCD on Sunday night, with the album out the morning after. There's a TV ad campaign that started today and I've already seen it a few times.

The album's #64 on Amazon which is looking good, it should climb on release, especially after Strictly. Andrea was also on QVC earlier in the week and QVC sold 100 copies of the album in 10 minutes. So it's all looking promising so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album has been released as of midnight.

It's currently #15 on Amazon and #43 on iTunes.

She's also performing on This Morning tomorrow.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Danny O’Donoghue will abandon her when the album sales start to fall, like he did with poor Bo Bruce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I wonder if Danny O’Donoghue will abandon her when the album sales start to fall, like he did with poor Bo Bruce.

As far as I know Danny had ditched Bo before the album was released. That was my assumption though, I presumed Save Me was about him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Message online sales update:

#9 Amazon (physical)
    #14 iTunes
    #44 Amazon (downloads)
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OneK wrote: »
    As far as I know Danny had ditched Bo before the album was released. That was my assumption though, I presumed Save Me was about him.

No, he did promote Save Me on his twitter I think, but then a while after she appeared on The Voice again, he said their relationship was fake to boost sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

#4 Sainsbury's
    #8 Amazon (physical)
    #12 iTunes
    #25 Amazon (downloads)
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a beautiful voice and deserves more than a rushed, cheap as chips album full of other people's songs. I hope this album will at least sell well enough so she can make her own music though. I think she has real potential.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's doing better than Leann but i blame the public because yet again, they didn't vote for the true winner. Andrea is talented but she isn't going to sell millions of records, where as Leah will. People vote for their favourite, where as when i watch singing reality shows, i am drawn to those who are realistically going to be successful because that's what it is at the end of the day in these record labels eyes.
  • EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    I am drawn to those who are realistically going to be successful because that's what it is at the end of the day in these record labels eyes.

And I am drawn to those who don't screech their way through performances and have a great tone.

The album is beautiful! Bought it yesterday and haven't been able to stop listening to it. I'm surprised that BBC Radio 2 haven't supported it though. Hopefully they'll playlist her tomorrow, after seeing how well the album is doing. Looks like it'll go top 10! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Envoirment wrote: »
    And I am drawn to those who don't screech their way through performances and have a great tone.

The album is beautiful! Bought it yesterday and haven't been able to stop listening to it. I'm surprised that BBC Radio 2 haven't supported it though. Hopefully they'll playlist her tomorrow, after seeing how well the album is doing. Looks like it'll go top 10! :D

'The Message', the song itself is begging to be released as a single. It's one of the best songs of the year and just shows off how great a songwriter Andrea is.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's doing better than Leann but i blame the public because yet again, they didn't vote for the true winner. Andrea is talented but she isn't going to sell millions of records, where as Leah will. People vote for their favourite, where as when i watch singing reality shows, i am drawn to those who are realistically going to be successful because that's what it is at the end of the day in these record labels eyes.

I do agree Leah is far more marketable and I'm fascinated to see what she comes out with. Her version of Loving You on the Voice made my skin tingle...sublime.

Still, I want original music from Andrea. She could appeal to people who like artists such as Gabrielle Aplin. I hope at some point we get a real album from her.