Why would anyone openly question the validity of another's eviction?

Why do contestants on this kind of show always have some kind of sense of entitlement for certain camp mates to stay over overs? I've seen this on other reality shows too.

I appreciate that they may think that a certain camp mate might be popular with the viewers, but I thought Steve Davis was great when he halted Kian's little 'I can't believe it was Mo, Why Mo out of everyone' speech by saying 'Well if not her who do you think should have gone?'

Kian then shut up. :D

It's natural of course to have your own mind on who you think may be popular with the public and stay to the end, but I always find it interesting when they express it in front of everyone else who is also in the same game show. This isn't the worst example and this isn't a dig a Kian, more an observation on the phenomenon itself if that makes sense. BB viewers will know what I mean!

Steve Davis- legend! :D

Comments

• greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Why do contestants on this kind of show always have some kind of sense of entitlement for certain camp mates to stay over overs? I've seen this on other reality shows too.

I appreciate that they may think that a certain camp mate might be popular with the viewers, but I thought Steve Davis was great when he halted Kian's little 'I can't believe it was Mo, Why Mo out of everyone' speech by saying 'Well if not her who do you think should have gone'.

It's natural of course to have your own mind on who you think may be popular with the public and stay to the end, but I always find it interesting when they express it in front of everyone else who is also in the same game show. This isn't the worst example and this isn't a dig a Kian, more an observation on the phenomenon itself if that makes sense. BB viewers will know what I mean!

It made me :) as well
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved that Steve shut him down like that. First slip up from Kian!
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    I loved that Steve shut him down like that. First slip up from Kian!

Believe me, if he lasts any longer, it won't be his last. Mr. Egan has a notoriously short fuse and a sense of entitlement that beggars belief.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. I think it's a perfectly natural thing to do. They're lost in their own world in there and see things differently than viewers do so I saw Kian's response as coming from genuine shock that someone he plainly thought was a 'stayer' being voted out. I don't think it was anything more than an instinctive reaction, no entitlement, no malice intended, no hidden 'it should have been X'.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Believe me, if he lasts any longer, it won't be his last. Mr. Egan has a notoriously short fuse and a sense of entitlement that beggars belief.

Obviously please don't feel obliged if you don't want to but I for one would be intrigued to know more. Would you mind elaborating at all on the BIB?

No worries either way. :)
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Big Brother 8, the housemates were so convinced that Laura hadn't really be evicted that, when they received a phone call from Australian BB, they asked if she was there.
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Meh. I think it's a perfectly natural thing to do. They're lost in their own world in there and see things differently than viewers do so I saw Kian's response as coming from genuine shock that someone he plainly thought was a 'stayer' being voted out. I don't think it was anything more than an instinctive reaction, no entitlement, no malice intended.

Yeah I agree, this wasn't the best example but I've seen it on BB (I'd usually feel embarassed to admit I watch it, but I feel 'safe' to admit it on here ha ha:blush:) and IAC but sometimes you get house/campmates almost jumping up and down saying 'no, it should never have been you, you're awesome and should be here till the final etc' whilst other house/campmates who have actually been saved sit there looking sheepish or look nervously at their feet most likely thinking 'cheers pal, what am I, Mr Insignificant'!

This isn't an anti Kian thread, more a comment on how the person saying it, is effectively saying to the people that stayed (or at least some of them) that they are less worthy! The diplomacy or lack of, interests me.

I just wonder if they don't think before they speak, or whether they just don't see how it could come across.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    In Big Brother 8, the housemates were so convinced that Laura hadn't really be evicted that, when they received a phone call from Australian BB, they asked if she was there.

That was hilarious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I agree, this wasn't the best example but I've seen it on BB (I'd usually feel embarassed to admit I watch it, but I feel 'safe' to admit it on here ha ha:blush:) and IAC but sometimes you get house/campmates almost jumping up and down saying 'no, it should never have been you, you're awesome and should be here till the final etc' whilst other house/campmates who have actually been saved sit there looking sheepish or look nervously at their feet most likely thinking cheers pal, what am I, Mr Insignificant!

This isn't an anti Kian thread, more a comment on how the person saying it, is effectively saying to the people that statyed (or some of them) that they are less worthy!

I just wonder if they don't think before they speak or do they just not care or think it matters kind of thing.

That's why I said it was a slip up, I don't think it was malicious, but I do feel he's always trying to do the things the public Will like. "I want to win the hotel for Mo" I want to win immunity for anyone but me" etc.

I'd be happy enough if he won, but I don't think he's being entirely natural.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly wasn't sinister simply a knee jerk reaction and IMO simply searching for something to say. Foot in mouth moment !
  • zolugzolug Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Source please.Or do you know him personally to come up with that propaganda.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You seem to have a personal grievance with Kian Egan as this is not the first time I have read posts from you making claims of him being this awful bad tempered up himself person who is not at all pleasant, yet despite being asked on several occasions, you never seem to back it up with reason or source!? Why is this? Or are you just out to blacken his name for the sake of it?

I refer you back to this thread where you state something similar

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1913238&page=2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »

I should think the excitement would have been too much for them.

I thought the reaction to Mo going was interesting though. To us - well, to me anyway - she was someone who lay around for most of the day, only lifting her head up occasionally to say something disagreeable. In which case she must surely have been unkindly edited, since the others expressed shock and disbelief that she hadn't received the votes, instead of forming an impromptu conga line to celebrate her going.
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    im not sure if that poster is making it up about kian as most of my friends were also expecting a hothead.i think it might have to do with his Simon cowell role on the Irish voice show where he has bee pretty nasty at times Ive heard.he seems fine to me though the little we have seen of him in the jungle
    Forum Member
    zolug wrote: »
    Source please.Or do you know him personally to come up with that propaganda.
    You seem to have a personal grievance with Kian Egan as this is not the first time I have read posts from you making claims of him being this awful bad tempered up himself person who is not at all pleasant, yet despite being asked on several occasions, you never seem to back it up with reason or source!? Why is this? Or are you just out to blacken his name for the sake of it?

Woah there people. Look, this wasn't intended as a bashing thread but I for one am interested. Maybe S Berry doesn't want to, but on the I'm a celeb forum, I'd say they are either all fair game or none of them are.

I for one am interested. I've never heard anything good or bad about him really either way.
  • washboardwashboard Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should think the excitement would have been too much for them.

I thought the reaction to Mo going was interesting though. To us - well, to me anyway - she was someone who lay around for most of the day, only lifting her head up occasionally to say something disagreeable. In which case she must surely have been unkindly edited, since the others expressed shock and disbelief that she hadn't received the votes, instead of forming an impromptu conga line to celebrate her going.

Well, I suppose it depends what the other campmates 'saw' - in at least two senses of the word.

If they weren't present to 'see' (or hear) some of Mo's nasty remarks, then they won't be aware of that side of her.

If they were present when Mo made her nasty remarks, but didn't 'see' them as nasty, they will be equally nonplussed about the reasons for her going.

Or, everyone may have simply over-estimated the power of the Eastenders fanbase (or that fanbase's interest in Mo).
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or, everyone may have simply over-estimated the power of the Eastenders fanbase (or that fanbase's interest in Mo).

I think this is it in a nutshell, Washboard, in fact Kian said as much when steve questioned him. He said he just thought she would have had more of a following back in the UK being on Eastenders
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Meh. I think it's a perfectly natural thing to do. They're lost in their own world in there and see things differently than viewers do so I saw Kian's response as coming from genuine shock that someone he plainly thought was a 'stayer' being voted out. I don't think it was anything more than an instinctive reaction, no entitlement, no malice intended, no hidden 'it should have been X'.

I don't see what anyone could miss about Laila Morse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member

I appreciate that they may think that a certain camp mate might be popular with the viewers, but I thought Steve Davis was great when he halted Kian's little 'I can't believe it was Mo, Why Mo out of everyone' speech by saying 'Well if not her who do you think should have gone?'

watch it again Kian didn't shut up he carried on talking.

They are with them 24/7 and know who the entertainers are, so when someone they see as a big character leaves it's obvious they start to wonder why those people go, over others who cant converse have nothing interesting witty of amusing to say........They must realise,if ITV can fix the edits to show them as interesting people then they can do the same to showing interesting characters as boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member

She was certainly a good sport, didn't let anything faze her, and not bad for 68.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

I think it's natural to be upset if someone you like goes and yes I suppose raise thoughts as to why but Steve's immediate interjection was actually more natural as someone has to go so if you say why did they go then there must be someone else you would be more content with going. There is always an underdog in these situations (Amy anyone :blush:)whether they are truly are an under dog on the out side they are perceived it on the show so you are effectively saying to them I thought you'd go.

I think there is a self entitlement about this kind of attitude and Steve's interjection here has made him a good guy IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . There is always an underdog in these situations (Amy anyone :blush:)whether they are truly are an under dog on the out side they are perceived it on the show so you are effectively saying to them I thought you'd go.

I think there is a self entitlement about this kind of attitude and Steve's interjection here has made him a good guy IMO

It was between Alfonso and Mo, not Amy and Mo. So the underdog was Alfonso; and indeed I did think their extravagant exclamations of amazement were rather unflattering to him.
  • YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because they know the other 23 hours a day we don't see and are probably a world away from the edits!
  • Marie_EbbMarie_Ebb Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Kian was hardly in yesterday's highlights. I wonder why
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite, but that wasn't the point I was making.