Options

Horse Racing 2014

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Quiet day of racing in the UK with the abandonments.

William Hill Radio covering the meeting at Cagnes-sur-Mer until Kempton (AW) starts at 4:50.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    I can't believe anybody thinks "good luck for the gamble being landed". Connections of these horses have been cheating the public by not running these horses to anywhere near what they are capable of.

Take EYE OF THE TIGER as an example - here are his 6 previous runs:
    debut - 4th of 5 runners beaten 107 lengths!!
    2nd run - 14th of 15th beaten 41 lengths!!
    3rd run - last of 10 runners beaten 36 lengths!!
    4th run - last of 10 runners beaten 110 lengths!!
    5th run - last of 15 runners beaten 112 lengths!!
    6th run - last of 13 runners beaten 84 lengths!!

7th time lucky then @evens ... what an absolute gangster Curley is.:D
    I agree, it stinks, ive no problem with the vast majority of gambles but there has to be a reason for the improved form.
    If they know the horse has had a problem and it's all sorted, then fine,
    If they know the horse has come good and got the conditions he needs, fine.
    What you can't do is run it in many races and conditions you know it will hate to dip it.
    BC seems to have had many horses suddenly make miraculous improvement in form, they also tend to be backed off the boards when they do. feel aggrieved for the punters who lost their cash on the horse in the past as well, it wasn't just about this race.
    It's not noble and it's not on to be honest, it's not a good old fashioned touch. he is ripping the punters off.
    The only reason he gets on is other punters have put their hard earned on the form horses. BC rarely hits the bookies, he takes it out of the punters pockets.
    If all trainers ran their horses like he does, racing would be ruined .
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Figures on racecourse attendances in 2013 have been released

The average attendance is 3,972 ( down 2.58%) but the total crowds are up 1.76% due to there being more meetings
    5.6 million in total that makes it the 2nd biggest spectator sport( behind football)

Highest average attendances

Cheltenham 22,296
    Ascot. 22,904
    Aintree 21,170
    York 19,618
    Chester 18,906

Lowest averages

Not unsurprisingly, it is dominated by the all weather tracks

Wolverhampton 732
    Southwell 901
    Lingfield 1.262
    Kempton 1,285
    Sedgefield 1,397

Makes you wonder how they keep going on those figures. It also explains hiw prices change so quickly there with what must be a limited betting market
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed......2.50 Kempton

Ex Barney Curley horse, Kassiodor, hasn't run for 824 days, mark dropped 9 lbs during his absence

Bit different to the others last week though in that this one hasn't ever looked decent and is a 7 year old 7 run maiden

Bookies taking no chances......stuck him in as 2nd fav !
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Just noticed......2.50 Kempton

Ex Barney Curley horse, Kassiodor, hasn't run for 824 days, mark dropped 9 lbs during his absence

Bit different to the others last week though in that this one hasn't ever looked decent and is a 7 year old 7 run maiden

Bookies taking no chances......stuck him in as 2nd fav !

Finished 11th of 12, with only a 100/1 shot behind him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on the weather we could see a walkover at Doncaster tomorrow, as in the 13:20 only Rock on Ruby and Mr Mole are entered, but Harry Fry has said that Rock on Ruby won't run if the ground is too soft.

In other news Midday has foaled a filly by Frankel. There's a video of the birth online apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news with 1.000 Guinneas ante post t favourite , Chriselliam having to be put down after a foot infection

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9155235/hills-stunned-by-death-of-chriselliam

She was very impressive in the Breeders Cup Juvenile

A dual Group One winner, Chriselliam amassed total prize money of nearly £500,000 in just six races.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame, a horse with so much potential that will never be fulfilled . RIP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw Worcester racecourse on Sky sports. Totally under water. Alex said it happens regularly

Also, With Cheltenham only weeks away, a lot of horses will not be getting the ideal preparation
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long Run getting a spin at Kelso today in preparation for the National.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    hey guys,i have some questions re ante post Chel betting later if you wouldn't mind giving your opinion.

If you don't remember me(you wont) 3 times i thought i won a place-pot here but actually not lol.

if clerks choice comes top 2 in the last today though i win place and quad-pot(not through knowledge,through luck)cross your fingers pretty please.

questions will include is it stupid to bet ante now?seeing as i lose money if they don't run. and also I'm tempted to bet that female trainer every race.she seems decent....v Williams?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    questions will include is it stupid to bet ante now?seeing as i lose money if they don't run. and also I'm tempted to bet that female trainer every race.she seems decent....v Williams?

Difficult to give that kind of advice.....

I never bet ante-post. Reason being that I like to study form before I bet and I can't see the point of studying the form of 40 or 50 horses for a race in a months time when only a dozen of them are going to run.......plus of course there's racing tomorrow !. There's always racing tomorrow !

Why spend time on something that going to happen in a month when you can be studying tomorrow's form

That my opinion.......I won't look at the Cheltenham races until the night before

V Williams is in grand form right now but I don't think of her as a festival trainer......I think of her as having dour stayers who plod through the winter mud up north
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clerks just got 2nd..Well done:)(should be ok dividends)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Difficult to give that kind of advice.....

I never bet ante-post. Reason being that I like to study form before I bet and I can't see the point of studying the form of 40 or 50 horses for a race in a months time when only a dozen of them are going to run.......plus of course there's racing tomorrow !. There's always racing tomorrow !

Why spend time on something that going to happen in a month when you can be studying tomorrow's form

That my opinion.......I won't look at the Cheltenham races until the night before

V Williams is in grand form right now but I don't think of her as a festival trainer......I think of her as having dour stayers who plod through the winter mud up north

cheers,that's sort of the advice I'm looking for.i'm more of a stick 2 euros on a 10/1 shot kind of person and i assume odds go way down if i wait.
    tso wrote: »
    Clerks just got 2nd..Well done:)(should be ok dividends)

thanks,that was pure luck.

i saw a horse called Firth Of The Clyde was tipped for something good at Chelt if anyone's interested:p
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Placepot £74.30
    Quadpot £10.10:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tso wrote: »
    Placepot £74.30
    Quadpot £10.10:(

better than nothing obviously...but with 4 no favs amongst my horses.i expected more.chelt time:p
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    How good a performance was this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0oDMrpK2E
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    How good a performance was this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0oDMrpK2E

I was watching live on RUK and the guys were saying before the race that this is a proper group one horse against a group three field.

Amazed he went off at 7/4.......

But I wasn't really taking much interest as I can't get excited about Meyden......it passes me by on the whole
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Bucks looking in great form at the Paul Nicholls press day - certainly looks like he has improved quite a fair bit from his comeback run. I think the stayers hurdle could be the race of the Festival if the big players stand their ground.

Be interesting to see what the ground is going to be like in just over 4 weeks time - if it dries up the bookies will have an absolute field day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At what point is the cut off for cheltenham places? its fun to get big odds ante post,but most may not even run in the race they are predicted to be in,therefor no point in loosing money for no reason.

Cheers in advance:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At what point is the cut off for cheltenham places? its fun to get big odds ante post,but most may not even run in the race they are predicted to be in,therefor no point in loosing money for no reason.

Cheers in advance:)

the final lists of runners come out 2 days before the race

If you look around most firms will be going non runner no bet by now.......so if you're horse isn't a runner you'll get your money back

Make sure the firm you're betting with has NRNB.....non runner no bet
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also thinking the hurdle races are throwing up a host of big possibilities.

Really hacked off with the C4/Pricewise love in. He tipped Al Ferof a few weeks ago at 16s for the Gold Cup which even after the King George looked skinny, then there he was with Nicholls who proudly announced he would be aimed at the Gold Cup, to smug back slaps all round over his genius.

He then ran a stinker at Newbury, admitted in testing conditions, and now all that seems to be down the toilet. Would take my 33/1 NRNB on Last Instalment over his 16/1 on Al Ferof any day. All he does is throw darts and the ones that tip up are easily forgotten. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Worlds greatest tipster my arse.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the latest with JT McNamara by the way ? Channel 4 Racing mentioned him earlier. Wish him well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the final lists of runners come out 2 days before the race

If you look around most firms will be going non runner no bet by now.......so if you're horse isn't a runner you'll get your money back

Make sure the firm you're betting with has NRNB.....non runner no bet

cheers.i use pp and so far they only have 4 races with nrnb.....maybe as it gets closer,they will add more:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice touch by Cheltenham racecourse

This year's National Hunt Chase, which takes place on Champion Day at the Festival, will be run in honour of Terry Biddlecombe

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/9171049/cheltenham-honour-biddlecombe