Did George Osborne really just say that about the 40p tax rate?

Comments

• CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I can see his point in that some may see getting into the 40% tax bracket as an achievement.

However all this talk of more people being dragged into the 40p tax bracket is rather ironic when the figures actually show due to the increase in the personal allowance they are actually slightly better off overall.

I might be wrong, but I thought as the personal allowance has gone up, the higher rate bracket has come down; therefore higher rate taxpayers do not benefit from the increase in personal allowance.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I thought Lefties wanted successful people to pay more tax.

THIS leftie believes that wealthy people should pay more tax than poor people, this leftie doesn't measure "success" by how much an individual has.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I thought Lefties wanted successful people to pay more tax.

You appear to be confusing 'success' with wealth, the two of them most certainly are not always directly related.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Did you post that in the wrong thread or was the post automatically generated by your tory insult bot.

you know Brown gave pensioners a one off payment of £200 5 months before the 2005 election?

Osborne apparently told MPs that paying the higher rate makes voters more likely to vote Conservative and back benefit cuts. The more people in the higher rate the better as far as voting Tory is concerned and their welfare destruction plans.

Maybe buy votes was the wrong term, more of a nasty, filthy, underhand, little plan to sway votes and put voters in a fiscal arm lock to vote Tory.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Strange that when the Mail prints something the Tories can hit the left with it is the fountain of all truth but a pack of lies when the shoe is on the other foot..

Since I was not present at the meeting in question I have no idea what the Chancellor said or did not say - so it follows that I cannot say if what the Mail said is true or not. I can infer it and I would suggest that given the in-fighting that is going on it has been blown out of proportion as someone makes political capital out of it - as the position themselves to replace David Cameron after the election next year. Precisely the kind of behaviour which put paid to the Conservatives in 1997.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THIS leftie believes that wealthy people should pay more tax than poor people, this leftie doesn't measure "success" by how much an individual has.

Well then, as a 'leftie' you should encourage people to think like this as with more aspiring to pay more tax, it will be like Christmas everyday.

Can't get the reasoning.

According to the quote, people aspire to pay more tax yet even that's not good enough for you because you have such a problem with aspiration.

And who are you kidding anyway?
    I've read post after post by you and most of it translates into 'give me more money'.
    Well doesn't that make you as grasping as those who aspire to earn more?

You wouldn't measure it as a success if you didn't have to pay the 'bedroom tax'?:confused:
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The wealthy do pay more tax so you should rejoice.. :)
  • jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Osborne apparently told MPs that paying the higher rate makes voters more likely to vote Conservative and back benefit cuts. The more people in the higher rate the better as far as voting Tory is concerned and their welfare destruction plans.

Maybe buy votes was the wrong term, more of a nasty, filthy, underhand, little plan to sway votes and put voters in a fiscal arm lock to vote Tory.

Summary of OP ( and I have seen this Osbourne thing elsewhere on web) is that

Osbourne is allowing high earners into an exclusoive (tax) club therefore they will feel as if " social climbing " has been achieved and this " social Climbing" aspiration is the Tory philosophy Ergo they will feel / be Conservative and hence vote Conservative.

So its a hopeful "door Opening" into the exclusive Tory social climbing club.....Bribe.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's going to be an exclusive 40% tax club, the government could at least give them some sort of Blue Peter style badge that allows them to jump to the front of the queue at Waitrose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its a hopeful "door Opening" into the exclusive Tory social climbing club.....Bribe.

Strange way of the government bribing you, where you end up paying more tax.. :D:D
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the basis of Osborne logic, then put the 45p rate up to 50p- Just imagine how successful you will feel when you pay a 50% rate.
  • jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Strange way of the government bribing you, where you end up paying more tax.. :D:D

wealth and intellect do not always go hand in hand.

The OP article does give a glaring insight into how the Tory mind operates and what it values .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The OP article does give a glaring insight into how the Tory mind operates and what it values .

depends on whether you believe everything you read in the Mail though.. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well then, as a 'leftie' you should encourage people to think like this as with more aspiring to pay more tax, it will be like Christmas everyday.

Can't get the reasoning.
    HMM I know the feeling,
    According to the quote, people aspire to pay more tax yet even that's not good enough for you because you have such a problem with aspiration.

Nope, can't see where it says anyone "aspires to pay more tax" either in the article in the mail, or where I've said it, OR that I have "such a problem with aspiration" I've never said anything of the sort nor would I, because,...... I don't.
    therefore asking you to back up your accusation with some evidence, would be pointless..
    And who are you kidding anyway?

Sorry? I wasn't aware that I was trying to "kid" anyone, do you know of anyone I've "kidded"?
    I've read post after post by you and most of it translates into 'give me more money'

Have you, and do they? I suppose once again, asking you to provide one singe post of mine that can be interpreted as even remotely translated as "give me more money" (ya know, in order to back up your personal attack on me, as well as putting words into my mouth and telling me what I think) would, again be a waste of time?
    Well doesn't that make you as grasping as those who aspire to earn more?
    Erm no, God this is tedious, AGAIN, where have I ever said that aspiring to earn more is grasping? There is NOTHING at all wrong with wanting to earn more if that's what your personal priorities in life are, I have nothing at all against people who have dedicated their lives to working hard to achieve wealth and possessions, it's their life after all, so long as they pay their taxes and don't defraud the rest of us, good luck to them,
    My problem is with those (like Osborne) who obviously judge a persons 'worth' and 'success' by how much money they earn or the things they own,
    You wouldn't measure it as a success if you didn't have to pay the 'bedroom tax'?:confused:

Why the hell would I think not being punished for something that I and millions of other people had no control over,
    (other than perhaps urging my stepson NOT to take his job, but to go on the dole if it meant staying home so that his hard working disabled mother and I don't become spare room criminals in the eyes of Tories.)..... as a "success" ?

I would certainly see it as a victory for common sense decency and empathy, but as a "success"?.... no,
    What I would see as a "success" would be an independent enquiry into the effectiveness and fairness of the spare room punishment,
    and perhaps not punishing people until there are enough smaller properties for all of those being punished for NOT moving to be able to move into,
    because at the moment it's about as 'fair' as throwing someone into a swimming pool, and then, punishing them for getting wet,

But then expecting Tories to grasp the concept of fairness is quite a big ask.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the basis of Osborne logic, then put the 45p rate up to 50p- Just imagine how successful you will feel when you pay a 50% rate.

To hell with that, put it up to 99%
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tories exposed again. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just love the way that OHG, northantsgirl, Jol etc now believe that everything the Mail writes is gospel.

Warms the cockles...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just love the way that OHG, northantsgirl, Jol etc now believe that everything the Mail writes is gospel.

Post #26 by me
    Of course it's true usually the only thing believe printed in the hate mail is the date, and then I'd check,

however a quote from a leading politician that is a lie or even a deliberately misleading distortion of what was actually said, would be ground on which even the hate mail would hesitate to tread, I should think anyway.

3/10, pay more attention,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not true though is it? So ask yourself, why are you telling such clear untruths about other posters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post #26 by me

3/10, pay more attention,

LOL - somebody doth protest too much.

So when your first words were "There we have it folks, straight from the horses mouth" you didnt believe a bit of it? - pull the other one... :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    That's not true though is it? So ask yourself, why are you telling such clear untruths about other posters?

So do you or do you not believe what the Mail wrote?

I know its a tough one for you.. :D
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    The comment was one of the few things Osborne has ever said with which I fully agree. It is just a pity that he backtracked. "We're all in this together" has never been supported by this Government's actions. But there is a growing realisation in some Tories who have now actually had responsibility that there will need to be an end to upper middle income types pretending to be half way down the road to a food bank with a dog on a bit of string.

It is an appeal, I think, to those with reasonable wealth to start acquiring a bit of "high ground" dignity rather than just lazily "slappering" around. It is also, of course, clearly an indication of the Chancellor's leadership ambitions.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    If there's going to be an exclusive 40% tax club, the government could at least give them some sort of Blue Peter style badge that allows them to jump to the front of the queue at Waitrose.

A skin tight blue T-shirt with "40% AND PROUD" on it. That's success that is.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Vanessa Feltz failed to persuade me yesterday with her arguments that any mansion tax wouldn't only affect the rich. Key quote from her - "Even I have an accountant"! Anyone might have thought she worked in a chip shop.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    So do you or do you not believe what the Mail wrote?

I know its a tough one for you.. :D

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

There is a lot of good food in the dustbin it does not mean I am going to eat it

Yes occasionally the daily mail gets things right, it did regarding the Stephen Lawrence killers for instance. It does not lessen the criticism for those many times when it is viscous and vindictive and IMO plain wrong