Irresponsible dog owners who get defensive when asked to clear up their dog's mess

kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
Forum Member
Twice this week I have taken the kids to the local play area / playing fields after school so they can have a play / kick about with their mates and twice I have had to politely remind two separate dog owners to pick up their dog's shit after they tried to walk away and leave it, hoping nobody would notice.

I'm sick of the kids standing in it to be honest, but one thing I have noticed is that on both occasions, the dog owners went back and picked it up, but became really defensive and irritated, as though they had been asked to hand over their purse, instead of putting the foul turds in a bag and disposing of them properly.

Why do you suppose these people are like this?

Comments

• pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because people don't like strangers telling them what to do? Even if it's the right thing to do...
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Twice this week I have taken the kids to the local play area / playing fields after school so they can have a play / kick about with their mates and twice I have had to politely remind two separate dog owners to pick up their dog's shit after they tried to walk away and leave it, hoping nobody would notice.

I'm sick of the kids standing in it to be honest, but one thing I have noticed is that on both occasions, the dog owners went back and picked it up, but became really defensive and irritated, as though they had been asked to hand over their purse, instead of putting the foul turds in a bag and disposing of them properly.

Because there's a high proportion of lazy slobs in this country who look after themselves and think the laws of this land don't apply to them.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A neighbour,thankfully a long way along our road,is a well liked
    and popular chap,everyone speaks well of him,really nice bloke.
    But..he walks his dog all day long,and it craps everywhere,and
    he never attempts to pick it up! So much for nice people with a
    sense of responsibility for their communities!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only ever had that reaction once. Years ago a little old dears dog shit right outside my front gate. I asked her to pick it up, and explained I was constantly washing it either off my buggies wheels, or my little boys shoes and my carpets.

She had a proper stropp, nasty old bat.

I have once run out of bags in the park, but I walked to a bench and picked up an empty offy carrier bag a bench drinker had left behind, then went back for it.

It makes me cross, if I see another dog shit and the owner ignores it I offer them a bag [always have them in my pocket] I feel awful if she poos and I ca't pick up. Except in a forest [was is a dog turd next to a foxes or horses being my reasoning]
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one dirty sod let his scruffy little poodle lay it's eggs halfway up my drive. He didn't take too well to being told to pick it up.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

Because they are morons
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they have a crappy attitude.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they shouldn't be allowed to take their dogs to play areas and playing fields, but since the dearth of actual allowed areas ..... people don't have a choice where to go!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good on you for having the balls to say something.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they're.......arrogant, lazy, filthy and irresponsible?

I've often asked other owners to pick up and many of them don't even carry bags.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Lazy and selfish. I have a dog and always clean up after him. There's a woman near me who walks her dog several times a day.. Talks to everyone about their dogs and gives doggy advice to everyone whether they want it or not. She does go out of her way to help rehome unwanted dogs and tells everyone all about her good works. However she never picks up after her own dogs. I can't understand why she considers herself such an excellent dog owner but leaves their mess everywhere.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok what are you complaining about OP? I mean you already rant at people complaining about little things like hating football and the Sun newspaper so why should we care about this eh?

Oh it's about animals....and children...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think people who can't be arsed picking their dog business up then they shouldn't be allowed one, I'd have it taken off them.

Why don't we let people just throw their babies nappies out the window too (although that happens too)
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who don't clean up after their dogs annoy me. Not that roaming cats using my garden as a litter box is any better, but at least I don't have to worry about stepping in it in that case. You have to wonder if these idiots think a magical poo fairy comes by to pick it up for them.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They take their dogs up the park as it makes a nice change from them shitting all over their houses.
  • BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    People who don't clean up after their dogs annoy me. Not that roaming cats using my garden as a litter box is any better, but at least I don't have to worry about stepping in it in that case. You have to wonder if these idiots think a magical poo fairy comes by to pick it up for them.

:D It kind of does. It's called biodegradation. Trouble is, it takes a while and by that point numerous people have stepped in it.

I've had dogs all my life and never once cleared up after them. But then I've always walked them where you're not legally obliged to clear up. I suppose I'd have to be less squeamish if I didn't live somewhere rural.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

dog owners who let their dogs crap in kiddy areas and leave it there (as well as general public parks) are more disgusting than the crap itself, there, ah that feels better, irresponsible pricks...and cows...of course they might say its up to the parents to look out! Morons
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Ok what are you complaining about OP? I mean you already rant at people complaining about little things like hating football and the Sun newspaper so why should we care about this eh?

Oh it's about animals....and children...

You don't have to care at all. Feel free not to care. :)
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me too as it gives good dog owners a bad name and gives reason for dog haters to want to ban canines from parks and open areas.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends on the situation.

A couple of days ago I was walking my dogs along the river bank, dogs were about 20 yards ahead of me, one of them stops for a dump and a guy walking towards me passes the dog and, as he reaches me, says "I hope you're not going to leave that lying there?!"

Course, I smiled and said "No, of course not" but I was thinking "f**k off and die you self-righteous prick".

Think of it this way; if every time you went to get in your car somebody came up to you and said "I hope you're not going to break the speed limit while you're driving that thing" I suspect it wouldn't be long before you started to get cheesed-off with it.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to care at all. Feel free not to care. :)

I don't but to give the advice you gave on other threads just ignore it. It's only excrement.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did you approach them?

Did it occur to you that your manner may have been offensive?

i have a bitch and she squats to pee and have had smug 'Mummies' come up all guns blazing telling my dog just shat, when she didn't.

Be more polite next time
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    How did you approach them?

Did it occur to you that your manner may have been offensive?

i have a bitch and she squats to pee and have had smug 'Mummies' come up all guns blazing telling my dog just shat, when she didn't.

Be more polite next time

"Excuse me mate, but you're going to pick up your dog's crap aren't you? There's kids playing and they just end up standing in it. Thanks a lot"
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I don't but to give the advice you gave on other threads just ignore it. It's only excrement.

Unlike the other stuff you lot moan about, there's a practical reason for not wanting dogs to shat all over the playing fields. It's a) really unhygienic, and b) gets in the car and in the house from their shoes. You might ignore it on your carpet, but I can't, sorry. :)
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Excuse me mate, but you're going to pick up your dog's crap aren't you? There's kids playing and they just end up standing in it. Thanks a lot"

Very polite. I prefer the 'pick the shit up, or I will rub your face in it' approach.