Options

Virgin email down

HectorHector Posts: 545
Forum Member
✭✭
No email service since late yesterday afternoon. Have an ntlworld address. Virgin Media's status report said no problem (until 08.03 this morning) so I wasted a lot of time last night checking my settings etc. Presumably the technical department were all off due to the English Bank Holiday. Interestingly, but not surprisingly, emails from Gmail/Googlemail get through. If sending from Hotmail, my email address turns red and there is an immediate warning that it may be invalid. Was a bit worried to read elsewhere that someone else may have bought the ntlworld domain name! Hard to believe that even Virgin could be so disorganised to allow that....?

Comments

• Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine has been the same nothing since yesterday afternoon. I can send emails via Thunderbird POP but any incoming email just gets bounced back to the sender with an error. Webmail is down.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I've had no webmail since 08:00 today but no problems are reported on the status page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    I've had no webmail since 08:00 today but no problems are reported on the status page.

My last email in was yesterday afternoon (at 16:04). There were no problems reported on the Service Status page but just now something appeared.

They say the fault was reported 3 hours before they bother to update the service status page!!!! They must get loads of phone calls that would be avoided if they just updated the page more quickly.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working fine here - received and sent emails OK within the last 45 mins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Working fine here - received and sent emails OK within the last 45 mins.

Are you ntlworld or virginmedia or other? I'm ntlworld and am down.

The service status report says ntlworld addresses are the problem.
  • Options
    anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am having the same problem, I am using a ntlworld.com email. The fault is known to Virgin media and is discussed at

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ntlworld-com-Email-Fault/td-p/2448243
  • Options
    HectorHector Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hector wrote: »
    No email service since late yesterday afternoon. Have an ntlworld address. Virgin Media's status report said no problem (until 08.03 this morning) so I wasted a lot of time last night checking my settings etc. Presumably the technical department were all off due to the English Bank Holiday. Interestingly, but not surprisingly, emails from Gmail/Googlemail get through. If sending from Hotmail, my email address turns red and there is an immediate warning that it may be invalid. Was a bit worried to read elsewhere that someone else may have bought the ntlworld domain name! Hard to believe that even Virgin could be so disorganised to allow that....?

Although yesterday at 18.53 a trial email from my Googlemail address to my ntlworld address was received ok, it no longer works, receiving the error report: Technical details of permanent failure: DNS Error: Domain name not found.
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Looks like someone updated the domain name details yesterday and whatever change they made had resulted in the DNS record not being found. "Should" be an easy fix, just a wait on the DNS propagation.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Not to be fixed until 20:30 now. Which is a pity, as the address I have to drive to now is trapped in there..... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artesea wrote: »
    Looks like someone updated the domain name details yesterday and whatever change they made had resulted in the DNS record not being found. "Should" be an easy fix, just a wait on the DNS propagation.

Certainly the problem seems to be with the domain name. If it was that easy a fix you would have thought it would have been done by now.

My POP client (Thunderbird) is still working in terms of talking to the server though of course nothing is coming in, I suspect that maybe the IP address is cached on my PC though I'm not sure how long that lasts. Outgoing emails still work using the smtp.virginmedia.com outgoing server and also on my wife's client though she cannot talk to the incoming server.

Does anyone know what the rules are around renewing DNS addresses? Is it feasible that a failure to renew could result in someone else grabbing the name?

EDIT: On the VM forum it says that the DNS registration is okay for another month so at least the worst hasn't happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My email's now working okay. All messages sent to it during downtime seem lost as expected.
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Looks like the domain name is now resolving at least when I nslookup. As the entry was missing it should propagate pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fault is fixed as of 15:21