Options

canncelled car insurance but....

michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi people- I've cancelled my car insurance 2 weeks ago, and they wanted £30 cancellation fee which was fine. Now I've got one letter saying that the £30 is to pay and it says outstanding from 15 August. Then I have to keep paying payments on 6 Sept, till Februaury next year. I'm confused. Surely if I've cancelled it after paying monthly DD, why would they still want money off me every month! It's with Direct Line by the way. Someone told me just to cancel the direct debit with the bank, and if they start sending me letters for ££ there's nothing they can do, as if I haven't got a car anymore I shouldn't be still paying insurance for it ?

Comments

• Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you phoned them? It might just be a crossover of automated letters.
    You need to check with them. Not having a car does not negate your contract with your insurers, if you agreed to pay monthly.
    Cancelling however, and paying a £30 fee does end the contract. So if you have done that, you are in a good position to harangue them on the phone.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Have you phoned them? It might just be a crossover of automated letters.
    You need to check with them. Not having a car does not negate your contract with your insurers, if you agreed to pay monthly.
    Cancelling however, and paying a £30 fee does end the contract. So if you have done that, you are in a good position to harangue them on the phone.

This.

You might find that the full amount of money is still due.

Again, you might find that the £30 fee is just for a 'change of information', and isn't an actual cancellation fee?

It almost seems a bit good if you can just get out at any time by paying £30..

/cynic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is your insurance provider, and did you make a claim against your current policy?
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Direct Line website their car insurance cancellation charge is £47.70, so there would appear to be a misunderstanding if a £30 fee has been charged.

OP just pick up the phone and ask them what's gone on.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £30 seems a very low charge for cancelling the remainder of a year's insurance. Often there's a varying percentage of the year's premium which has to be paid, depending on how long the contract has to run. I suspect the £30 could be a fixed admin fee on top of this.

The OP needs to read the T&C of their policy.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you cancel?

Reading the end of your post you cancelled the direct debit, this does not cancel the insurance and if they send letters because of this you still have to pay
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    Reading the end of your post you cancelled the direct debit,
    Maybe you should read it again!
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Maybe you should read it again!

I have read it numerous times, it does not make sense

Insurance was cancelled and they want £30 cancellation fee
    received a letter saying amount outstanding of £30
    payments still have to be made until feb next year

so my question was, how was it cancelled, as this does not make sense

and what does this bit meen

Someone told me just to cancel the direct debit with the bank, and if they start sending me letters for ££ there's nothing they can do, as if I haven't got a car anymore I shouldn't be still paying insurance for it ?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    Why not just ring them and ask?.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I cancelled they did say the fee was £47. XX whatever, and I said I haven't used any breakdown cover which I paid about £100 for the year, so they let me cancel my policy for £30.80.

And yes, he said to carrying on paying was an automatically generated letter from the loyalty team! As he thought I'd rang the first time to cancel and they had reduced my premium a bit- all quite confusing really, but I don't have to pay anymore ever again so :):)