The Professionals

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm sure most of you folk are familiar with this show.

Lol ! - it's hilarious ! (especially the 'fight' scenes with the lovers that are Bodie and Doyle ) ;)

The only let-down seems to be the extremely poor quality of the 'image'.

I mean, it's so poorly shot (the production team must have been tight as f*ck )

I'm sure the series made millions, yet they couldn't be bothered to spend a few bob in 'polishing' up the grainy images.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely that would detract from it's current appeal.

The Professionals always had the same formula though. One of them (can't remember which) was the womaniser and the other always had the women who was either in trouble with the police or dying. (think that one had curly hair)
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I can't understand is why the show was shot in such poor quality ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They where skint? They could make the programme cheaply. Or maybe we are just so used to seeing high quality TV making now everything else is deemed poor.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    What I can't understand is why the show was shot in such poor quality ?

I think I can answer that one, it was shot in 16mm hence the prints are far from brlliant maybe BBC Resources should remaster it
  • jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Professionals is my favourite prog of all time.
    If it got the remastered treatment it would be even better.

I agree the picture quality is really bad on some episodes.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I can answer that one, it was shot in 16mm hence the prints are far from brlliant maybe BBC Resources should remaster it

Thanks, Tabby.

(I don't quite understand what '16mm' or any other 'mm' is about) :o
  • FishfaceFishface Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's filmed in 'not so super' 16mm film to be more accurate. The granada versions have been remastered as far as I can tell from general observation.

Martin Shaw had a bit of get up and go in those days. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    used to fancy lewis collins :))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon Jackson - Mr Hudson from 'Upstairs, Downstairs' just did NOT fit in.
    Everytime I saw him I expected him to be carrying a tray :D
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    used to fancy lewis collins :))

Bodie was a bit of all right. ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thank you mrs bridges:p
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone remember Lewis Collins as 'Gav' the lodger in the Cuckoo Waltz?
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't always allowed to watch it when it was first aired, we only had one TV in the house and it was shown past my bed time. Has it been edited so it can be shown during the daytime, certainly some of the fights seem "clipped"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

yes and and as that SAS chappie in (dreadful but entertaining) film who dares wins.....
  • dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Professionals was filmed on 16mm film.

Not even the Super 16 thats common today.

The dvd's and original videos of the show were advertised as "remastered" but that term could simply refer to them sourcing another print for the releases.

What the show needs is a "restoration" where the original negatives are cleaned up and restored using the modern technology.

Unfortunately it all costs.

16mm is a let down and the tatty old prints used on the VHS,DVD and tv broadcasts are disappointing but 16mm was a cost cutting measure used all the time in the 70's.

Outside the Lew Grade ITC library there were very few UK shows shot on expensive 35mm film.

Brian Clemens had made The New Avengers on 35mm just before The Professionals but the latter show was a co-production with LWT who obviously didnt want to cough up for 35mm.

The series made by LWT on film like Black Beauty and Catweazle were all shot on 16mm and this was the common format for virtually all tv shows on film and also for location shooting on series made mainly on VT.

While 16mm ultimately lets the viewer down compared to 35mm you could take a look at the dvd's of The Protectors which is the best I've ever seen any 16mm series - this was restored by BBC Resources quite early on in their restoration project of the Carlton/ITC library
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes you cringe most of the time doesn't it, and Bodie mincing around cracks me up, but I think it's great.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Professionals was filmed on 16mm film.

What the show needs is a "restoration" where the original negatives are cleaned up and restored using the modern technology.

Unfortunately it all costs.

While 16mm ultimately lets the viewer down compared to 35mm you could take a look at the dvd's of The Protectors which is the best I've ever seen any 16mm series - this was restored by BBC Resources quite early on in their restoration project of the Carlton/ITC library
    Very true Dennis, but companies want high volume turnover with little outlay in saying that correct me if I am wrong the Sweeney was filmed on 16mm too but that has been nicely remastered
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you mrs bridges:p

:D
    You are welcome Mr 'Udson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    used to love the Professionals. great fun. :D
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was garbage, even at the time.

Apart from the money I could never understand why Gordon jackson, a fine actor, touched it with a 10 foot barge pole.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes you cringe most of the time doesn't it, and Bodie mincing around cracks me up, but I think it's great.

True - still bloody hilarious though. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    its a top program and im 18 lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

Ooh yes - and that hilariously bad film "Who Dares Wins"; the sort of role that Ross Kemp would snap up like a shot. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,673
    Forum Member

I sooo agree he was exactly the same in it as he was in Upstairs Downstairs, terrible casting. Martin Shaw has gone on to be succesful but i don't know what happenned to Lewis Collins, last I heard was that he had a drink problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    windstone wrote: »
    I sooo agree he was exactly the same in it as he was in Upstairs Downstairs, terrible casting. Martin Shaw has gone on to be succesful but i don't know what happenned to Lewis Collins, last I heard was that he had a drink problem.

Did he??!

Last I heard he had moved to America to try his luck (and not fared too well).

His most recent UK TV appearance was in The Bill in 2002.