Options

What was the actual plot line for Listen?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    The episode was about fear, which was already done in the latter, SITL. Moffat running out of ideas? .

But most episodes are about fear, the best stories are about fear, Moffat loves taking the mundane and making it scary - he'd love to do a story about the lumps in carpets...the mundane but again could be made scary and we'd get a feeling when we saw bumps in carpets.

It was about 'things under the bed' something the resonates in the minds of us all at some point...Calvin & Hobbes certainly had issues with the thing under the bed.

They are all different types of fear.

Blink was about fear from something that was dangerous but you never acually see move - a passive enemy who is only dangerous when you can't see it whereas most fear is from things you can see coming at you.

The fear of the thing under the bed is that as we grow up we realise there is nothing there and that it is a fear purely of the imagination and Moffat has made that fear a bit more real with the thing under the blanket but has not shown us exactly what it is because every kid will have their own image of what 'their' thing under the bed will be.

Just wonderful stuff...but it just takes a little bit of thought - it is not all explained which I love.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I have to say I think the blackboards in the TARDIS are a very nice touch.

I wonder if the Doctor has been trying to work out something bigger out (i.e series arc) and stumbled upon 'hidden' creatures during his workings.

Either way, the blackboards are probably my favourite TARDIS addition for a long long while.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    The "monster" (played by Kiran Shah I believe) was most likely a kid playing a prank who was quite scared once he got found out, we were meant to think it was some kind of alien. The thing the Doctor was chasing was an expert in hiding, it wouldn't just appear on the bed, the doctor knew that. So he gave the kid the opportunity to think it had fooled them and to leave with his head high and not in embarrassment.

Just my opinion ....

It was a rather strange lesson to be teaching Rupert (or, for that matter, the kids watching), though. If there's something scary the best thing to do is apparently to turn your back on it and hope it goes away!

:o

Not something that the Doctor is generally known for, it has to be said!
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I think the blackboards in the TARDIS are a very nice touch.

I wonder if the Doctor has been trying to work out something bigger out (i.e series arc) and stumbled upon 'hidden' creatures during his workings.

Either way, the blackboards are probably my favourite TARDIS addition for a long long while.

I assumed it was related to finding Gallifrey, which probably reminded him of early memories .....
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member

My guess is that there never were any creatures and the Doctor never believed there were - he needed information about the pink boys and got that from Clara's mind - suggesting that they may be spread throughout his life as she was. Possibly a "destiny" story for Clara with us finding out that there was a Pink for each of her many selves - probably find out that Harvey's name was "Pink" in Asylum (and having just written that, it's struck me that the pink's so far have the initals - D, R and O - so add in "Harvey" and we only need a "Walter" - or fiddle a few more in for "DOCTOR" (y7ou never know - it's not far from what they did for "Torchwood")
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    My guess is that there never were any creatures and the Doctor never believed there were - he needed information about the pink boys and got that from Clara's mind - suggesting that they may be spread throughout his life as she was. Possibly a "destiny" story for Clara with us finding out that there was a Pink for each of her many selves - probably find out that Harvey's name was "Pink" in Asylum (and having just written that, it's struck me that the pink's so far have the initals - D, R and O - so add in "Harvey" and we only need a "Walter" - or fiddle a few more in for "DOCTOR" (y7ou never know - it's not far from what they did for "Torchwood")

But there have only been two Pinks. Rupert *is* Danny, so I don't think you could count their initials as separate ingredients really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's struck me that the pink's so far have the initals - D, R and O - so add in "Harvey" and we only need a "Walter" - or fiddle a few more in for "DOCTOR" (y7ou never know - it's not far from what they did for "Torchwood")

An example of over-thinking too much into the plots...even Moffat has said there is too much of this when it really is never that deep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    An example of over-thinking too much into the plots...even Moffat has said there is too much of this when it really is never that deep.

Thank you for your opinion - which was clearly underthought.
  • Options
    gstick1gstick1 Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    So what was the monster under the young boy's bed.
    I don't understand why that was just forgotten about.

Could the monster under the bed have been doctor who as a child. Child Mr Pink had a toy soldier which at the end im sure Clara gave to the child doctor who.

Could Child Mr Pink have got this because child doctor who left it under his bed.
    Also when Clara was under doctor whos bed a women mentioned him going inside with the other children. Was the home where pink was something to do with time lords. Pink, or a relative was alone in the future, The doctor said the end of everything. Is it the same place the master went.
  • Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    We find out that

a) he doesn't want to be in the army (but he actually becomes one of the greatest and most dangerous warriors in history)
    b) he nearly didn't make it as a Time Lord...which probably explains why he doesn't toe the line.
    c) he has never had 'that' dream that everyone else has had...and hence is there nothing following him?
    d) he is as scared as we all are deep down.
    e) the mirror of Danny not wanting to be a soldier who kills and the Dr who, after killing for so long and now realising the TimeLords are alive, is trying to move away from being someone who destroys (or something along those lines).

And...

f) Little miss perfect poking her nose into the Doctor's early history again.

It's becoming really annoying how Moffat seems to be taking it upon himself to explain so much in the show. Alright, adding an extra regeneration so that he could be the one to resolve the "regeneration limit" problem was tolerable, as was undoing RTD's time war which wiped out the time lords (he didn't do it, he just forgot... right...). But having Clara seemingly influence every single Doctor (great intelligence + this) from start to finish, is starting to push it slightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member

We find out that

a) he doesn't want to be in the army (but he actually becomes one of the greatest and most dangerous warriors in history)
    b) he nearly didn't make it as a Time Lord...which probably explains why he doesn't toe the line.
    c) he has never had 'that' dream that everyone else has had...and hence is there nothing following him?
    d) he is as scared as we all are deep down.
    e) the mirror of Danny not wanting to be a soldier who kills and the Dr who, after killing for so long and now realising the TimeLords are alive, is trying to move away from being someone who destroys (or something along those lines).

So, he's a stuck-up coward who stole a Tardis when he realised he was a failure - an annoying brat who threw a hissy fit and ran away from home when they wouldn't let him go to Hogwarts for timelords and who craps himself at any sign of monsters but that's alright cos you have read his mind and know how he feels "deep down" (as opposed to all that shallow feeling that everyone else does) - and Danny is insane because he doesn't want to be a soldier despite the fact that he isn't one.

Nope - clearly underthinking again - or overguessing - or justtherightamountofregurgitatingopinioinswithoutunderstandingthem.