Options

PDSA Pet Care (Edinburgh)

waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
Forum Member
For the past few days my dog has been off his food. He's only been eating about half his food. We think it may be his teeth.
So, in a couple of day's we'll probably take him to the vet if it persists.

We're eligible for PDSA free vet care. We could afford a vet, but we don't have a whole lot of money to spare so we think PDSA would be best.

I have a couple of questions, first is the care good? I'd rather pay for good care than have my dog endure bad care.

How far do appointments book in advance? Can you, for example, get one within a few days?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im pretty sure you have to register with the pdsa before you can make an appointment, which means going there (but ring first incase im wrong) you'll need proof of housing benefit and or council tax benefit thats less than 6 months old (according to my local pdsa website) the vets should be the same as any other vet i would imagine so im sure your dog will be in good hands xxx
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to take my kitten to PDSA in Wolves phone them they will make an appointment with you , when you go you will need to take evidence of both your housing and council tax award , you will also need something with your signature on.
    If they think it's urgent they will tell you to go tonight.
    You will not be charged for treatment but you will be charged for any medication they give your dog it's not much. They will also ask you to make a donation.
    They were fantastic with my kitten which turned out to be just fleas but still they got him sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice.
    We're going to phone them later to make an appointment.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can afford a vet, use a vet, why scav off a charity meant for those in genuine need.

And yes, you need to register in advance anyways :mad:
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I agree with the comment above. Those who aren't prepared to pay the full cost of having a pet, ie. vets fees and all, really shouldn't have a pet in the first place. And to take from a charity when you don't have to really is the lowest of the low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was that really needed?
    We COULD afford it - it would take saving though, I'd rather my dog wasn't in pain while we got the money together. Neither of my parents work (disabled) and I'm a student. Comments like that are really not needed.
    My dog is well cared for and we've had him at an actual vet every other time, this time we decided it would be best to do this.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are being a bit harsh - if the OP qualifies then why not use the charity? They obviously don't waste their limited resources elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    OP welcome to the holier than thou pet forum. There are some on here who are ready to lambast anyone who doesn't put their pet upon a pedestal.

Ignore these people because there are some nice people who are helpful and will offer advice.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit harsh - if the OP qualifies then why not use the charity? They obviously don't waste their limited resources elsewhere.

I agree here. You cans till pay towards the costs of treatment. Even a majority of it