Options

Alan Brazil says he has 'no sympathy' for Robin Williams following 'suicide'

Comments

• Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    So you are saying he has the right to give his view on any subject in the news no matter how ill informed he may be . If he had a racist or homophobic view on a current News item , does he also have the right to air them.

You ignore my questions yet reply with your own.

What he said is not comparable with a racist or homophobic view, it is about context. Saying he had no sympathy with Mr. Willaims but rather the family left behind is not comparable to racist or homophobic views, not matter how you want to twist it and push the two together..

I will ask you again as you said as a broadcaster he has no right to air his views. Therefore you must apply the same to all broadcasters.

Why do you say he does not? Is it because you disagree with them or do you think no broadcaster should be allowed to air their personal views regardless of the context or format of programme?

I would also add where you would like to draw the line in the personal views of broadcasters, especially in the talk show environment would this also cover religion, race, art..whatever. What about documentaries where the presenter gives their own personal view on a topic? Or is it views you disagree with.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately sometimes people say they have depression because they are told they have it. I have been living with depression for over 35 years now so know what depression is. When my brother told me he was told he had depression but didn't feel depressed I wasn't surprised.

He went to his doctor because he was feeling run down and wasn't sleeping well. This had been going on for about 2 months. He had an idea what the problem was. He was working double shifts as well as studying for a degree and had exams coming up. Basically he was getting run down. So he made an appointment with his GP just to make sure it wasn't something else.
    The day before he saw the GP he got the sack from his job. He wasn't happy about it but rather than getting upset etc. he saw it as a chance to make changes. He was planning on leaving the job anyway, It was why he was doing various training courses and getting a degree.
    So off he goes to see his GP and he explains the situation. Can't sleep properly. Been over doing it. work, training courses, degree etc. The GP said it sounds like you are exhausted. That's what my brother thought all was OK. Then just as the appointment was coming to an end my brother mentioned he was going to get rest as he got sacked yesterday. Immediately the diagnosis changed. His GP told him he was depressed. My brother said he didn't feel depressed, he was seeing it as a chance to start again. get some rest, concentrate on his degree. Next month he is going to Portugal for 2 weeks. He felt ok just run down. Despite this the GP told him he was depressed and issued him with anti-depressants.

We were brought up you don't question Doctors so he took the pills and started taking them as prescribed. Things changed. Now he was feeling like crap he had no problem sleeping. In fact he couldn't stay awake and needed to go and have naps during the day and would fall asleep watching TV. My brother didn't like it so went back to his GP again. He once again said that he didn't feel depressed and so forth and after taking quite a bit of persuasion the GP agreed that my brother could come off the anti-depressants but if things got bad he would go back on them. In reality my brother was going to stop taking them if the GP had agreed or not. he was just letting the GP know what was happening so he wouldn't assume that his patient was on medication when he wasn't.

Very quickly my brother started to feel better again. he didn't need his afternoon naps. He was feeling more energetic and so forth. The only problem he had was the boredom of not having anything to do during the day. A very common effect for someone that has worked and suddenly finds he has so much free time of their hands.
    He has since then found another job. in fact changed jobs a few times. Got his degree, moved house and is getting on with his life fine. All without anti-depressants that he didn't need to be on.

The GP automatically diagnosed got sacked = he has depression. Yes, a person may be depressed at that moment but it doesn't mean they have depression. You have to have meet a criteria over many weeks/months to have depression. In life people have things that make them sad, unhappy and depressed. That is the way it goes. It doesn't mean you have depression. Most people on benefits do eventually end up with depression because their lives become so pointless and tedious. It's not just a way of "getting" benefits.

To diagnose my brother as having depression after one day's unemployment was ridiculous. Unfortunately I believe that too many people are being diagnosed as having depression too quickly and being put on pills. There is change happening slowly. It is being recognised that pills aren't helping a lot of people and counselling and talking therapies are more effective. I've had those and pills and the pills work better for me. When I tried coming off them I went into crisis and was almost sectioned for my own protection. it was back on the pills or you get taken into the psychiatric hospital. I'll be on pills for life. I know that. They don't work. I will never be happy and have a normal life but they keep me "ticking over" and allow me to "cope"

Reports about Robin Williams have said that he had been in a bad way for months. he didn't just wake up one day think I'm having a bad day today I'll kill myself and sod the family and friends and how it affects them.

Alan Brazil is entitled to his opinion. Whether it was necessary for him to express at that point when things were so fresh and raw is another thing. It will be interesting to see how many people get upset when Jimmy Carr and the like start doing jokes about Robin Williams on TV. Will there be calls for them to be banned? After all Brazil was expressing an opinion where as Carr and the like will be making jokes about the situation. Something tells me they will be exempt from what Brazil is getting because it's "a joke."

People will say "lighten up" and not understand the irony. People with real depression would love too, they just can't. Depression takes over your life whether you want it to or not.

Brilliant post Peter. I hope your brother is felling better.

Another thing is that people with depression don't necessarily suffer all of the time. They can go for fairly lengthy periods of feeling good but an event that most people would find fairly trivial can trigger a change in mood. Events such as not getting a job you applied for or asking someone out and being rejected. Hearing someone say lighten up or there are more fish in the sea doesn't help at all.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    real world wrote: »
    Nothing will happen, he simply gave his view that he has no sympathy, what is wrong with that?

What will happen is that Ofcom will consider whether they believe that the correct protocol has been followed or not. If they find that it hasn't; appropriate action will be taken. If they find that it hasn't, Brazil will be vindicated.
    What guidelines do you feel have been breached.

You haven't discussed what guidelines you feel have been breached.

How do you feel that Alan Brazils opinion, i.e having far more sympathy for the family left behind rather than the actual suicide victim could have a potentially life or death affect on a person in such a terrible predicament at the moment.

I don't wish to discuss details of my submission to Ofcom on a public forum. At the end of the day, a qualified and independent third party regulator will decide if Brazil did anything wrong or not. If I think on, i'll post the outcome of the complaints made to Ofcom in this thread when they become available.
    What a load of nonsense.

I think that this country has the balance about right. We are able to freely express our views, thoughts, feelings etc, but not at the expense of others.

Compared to many, many other countries, we can be considered to have free speech, but in reality, we cannot go around saying anything that floats into our minds, our right to free speech is tempered with moderation. I totally support this as it ensures that people think before they speak or face the possible consequences.
  • Options
    JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me that Brazil still works for Talk sport. He wouldn't last 5 minutes at bbc or sky.
  • Options
    real worldreal world Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    What will happen is that Ofcom will consider whether they believe that the correct protocol has been followed or not. If they find that it hasn't; appropriate action will be taken. If they find that it hasn't, Brazil will be vindicated.

I don't wish to discuss details of my submission to Ofcom on a public forum. At the end of the day, a qualified and independent third party regulator will decide if Brazil did anything wrong or not. If I think on, i'll post the outcome of the complaints made to Ofcom in this thread when they become available.

I think that this country has the balance about right. We are able to freely express our views, thoughts, feelings etc, but not at the expense of others.

Compared to many, many other countries, we can be considered to have free speech, but in reality, we cannot go around saying anything that floats into our minds, our right to free speech is tempered with moderation. I totally support this as it ensures that people think before they speak or face the possible consequences.

So you have reported him for saying he has no sympathy for Robin Williams. I am at a loss why you think that is offensive.

Personally I do have sympathy for him and for his family but if Ofcom reprimand Alan Brazil for his comments, it's the start of the loss of freedom of speech.

He is allowed an opinion and he is allowed to give his opinion.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member

I didn't ask you to discuss the details of you complaint to OFCOM.

I did ask what guidelines you say Alan Brazil has broken. On a public forum you said he blatantly had broken broadcasting guidelines, whilst at the same time you were encouraging others to also complain to OFCOM.

I hardly think asking you to elaborate further on what guidelines Alan Brazil has broken is demanding for personal details.

He hasn't broken any guidelines has he.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Williams had early stages of Parkinson's disease at time of death, says wife

I wonder if this development will cause Alan Brazil to revise his opinion.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

I doubt it he will probably still think they same, he still left his family to suffer in Brazil's opinion why would him having Parkinson's make him think different, more likely Brazil will think him a coward for not fighting.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

Why would it cause him to revise his opinion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would it cause him to revise his opinion?

If he thought that committing suicide is less selfish if the person involved cannot face a future struggling with a dreadful degenerative condition.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was in the early stages, I doubt that it had a huge impact on his life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was in the early stages, I doubt that it had a huge impact on his life.

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall?

Horrible thing to speculate about, I know, but I find it hard to believe the two happenings are coincidental.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    samburrows wrote: »
    I think you will find it is the "liberals and do gooders" (your words) who won and have since defended the very thing you seem to be so passionate about. A free press, no detention without trial, political opposition, racial equality, gender equality, equal opportunities, an independent judiciary, the right to a fair trial, the right to a family life, the right to privacy, democratic elections, universal suffrage........

Yeah, that Liberalism's a bitch isn't it?

Your version of Liberalism is what it should have been,sadly the extreme interpretations of those things are what causes the problems in today's society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice rant. The same hypocrisy goes with Tories regarding tax evasion I suppose? By the way what is a Liberal Labour type?

No rant,just my view,it's as valid as yours,whether you like it or not.

I've no idea what tax issues have to do with this thread,perhaps you are deflecting,because I have a point ;-)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    NE5 wrote: »
    no it isn't nonsense at all. Free speech doesn't exist 100%.
    I might agree with that, to a point, but that's not what you originally wrote; which was...
    td1983 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as free speech in Britain these days.
    For one thing, it can't - can you go around telling people such as your employer what you really think of them and win a wrongful dismissal claim?
    That has more to do with common sense than free speech. Why not tell him what you think of him after you've won using your right to free speech ;)

Or, to put it another way....

For the record, I can understand what Mr Brazil meant but I would have worded it a little differently.

I think the consequences of Mr Williams' action, in leaving behind a grieving family, was selfish, but then I also think that that consequence probably never even occurred to him as it wouldn't to anyone who suffers from depression (from what I've subsequently read about it anyway.)

I hope that made sense :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't ask you to discuss the details of you complaint to OFCOM.

I did ask what guidelines you say Alan Brazil has broken. On a public forum you said he blatantly had broken broadcasting guidelines, whilst at the same time you were encouraging others to also complain to OFCOM.

I hardly think asking you to elaborate further on what guidelines Alan Brazil has broken is demanding for personal details.

He hasn't broken any guidelines has he.

The only guideline broken was that some people dont like Alan Brazil and they dont like what he said - as my Gran used to say,if you don't like it then don't listen ;-)
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    The only guideline broken was that some people dont like Alan Brazil and they dont like what he said - as my Gran used to say,if you don't like it then don't listen ;-)

I used to think he was okay and could listen to him now and again. I no longer feel that way.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a diabolical human being. Sack him and let's do away with clowns like that.

Horrible little ignorant toad, agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    Brilliant post Peter. I hope your brother is felling better.

Another thing is that people with depression don't necessarily suffer all of the time. They can go for fairly lengthy periods of feeling good but an event that most people would find fairly trivial can trigger a change in mood. Events such as not getting a job you applied for or asking someone out and being rejected. Hearing someone say lighten up or there are more fish in the sea doesn't help at all.

Thank you.

My brother is OK. He's back to his moronic self. :p

You are right about people having ups and downs. My particular depression means that my natural state is clinically depressed. If you think of it as a line going from -10 to +10 and the -2 to +2 is "normal" or "average." My natural state would be about -6 or -7.

So when a person that doesn't have depression has a really good day going up the scale to +6 or +7 (an increase of 4 or 5 places) for me that would put me in the "average" or "normal" region of close to "0".
    I'm not able to feel extreme happiness or extreme unhappiness because I am permanently in the black (-numbers). When somebody who usually feels "OK" hits a bad spell they can feel things aren't right I'm not feeling happy, energetic, lively etc. When that happens to me it's not registering as a change.

There are times when things happen in my life where it gets on top of me and I think what's the point? Sometimes suicidal thoughts, but they are rare. When it goes wrong I give up and I stop taking my medication as I "feel" that it's not making any difference. What's the point in taking it. I stop taking it and I don't feel any different. I may not feel it, but people that know me know straight away that I'm off my pills. I'm not the same person. I become more withdrawn, my personal hygiene goes out the window and I stop in psychiatry terms "functioning" properly. In my head nothing has changed. But to others. They can see the difference.

That is one of the biggest problems with any mental health issue especially depression. Medical professionals judge you on how well you are "functioning."
    Hearing the various bits and pieces about Robin Williams it doesn't surprise me that he didn't get help. Was he "functioning?" yes he was.

I go to college (not shutting myself away and isolating myself from society) = I'm functioning.
    I am having relationships (I talk to my sister, in NZ on the phone and talk to people I am at college with) = I am functioning
    I am eating properly and doing day to day life things like shopping, making sure I have electric, gas etc = I am functioning

And so it goes on. The result is you get issued pills and are told come back in 3/6 months. If I find I need help contact them. hold on if I need help it's down to ME to recognise it and down to ME to ask for help. A person in severe depression doesn't think help or change is possible so what are the chances they will ask for the help? Usually help comes when intervention happens whether it be by a GP, a family member or a friend.
    if you looked at Robin Williams you saw this guy, successful, making popular films, making people cry with laughter. A loving wife and children.... The guy was "functioning" to everyone that saw him. But in reality, he functioning but he wasn't coping with a situation he was in. He could ask for help, but he obviously didn't feel he could or it was worth asking for it.

The scary part for me is the way things have changed for testing people that have depression and mental health issues when it comes to benefits, They've changed the questions and it's now called a "capability test" to decide if you have mental health problems and should get benefits.
    Two real questions on the benefit forms. (don't believe me, download them and see for yourself)

1) Can you change the time on a clock?

2) Can you use a washing machine? (do you understand the different settings)

How the hell do they tell you is a person is depressed, bi-polar, schizophrenic or has anything other than really severe learning difficulties?

If this is the beginning of the way that people with mental health issues are being diagnosed, things are going to get bad really quickly.

Mental health issues especially depression really needs to be looked at and understood properly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    NE5 wrote: »
    no it isn't nonsense at all. Free speech doesn't exist 100%. For one thing, it can't - can you go around telling people such as your employer what you really think of them and win a wrongful dismissal claim ? And the Liberals and do gooders are stopping you from exercising this right on a daily basis on various things. When people can't even hang a St Georges Flag outside their house on certain days, that is not Free Speech in any shape or form.

I'm not particularly keen on Alan Brazil - for one thing I think he has copied the commentary style of Andy Gray - but surely someone who hosts a chat show [I don't listen but I presume that is what it is] has to go with the topic the caller wants to chat about ?

You are mistaking the ability to do something with the repercussions and effects of your actions.

There is nothing stopping me saying anything I want no matter how offensive and wrong it may be. Nothing will happen until after I have said it by then it is already to late.
    For one thing, it can't - can you go around telling people such as your employer what you really think of them and win a wrongful dismissal claim ?

Yes you can say what you think of them. If you don't say it because you know you will lose your job or be reprimanded then that is your choice.
    And the Liberals and do gooders are stopping you from exercising this right on a daily basis on various things. When people can't even hang a St Georges Flag outside their house on certain days, that is not Free Speech in any shape or form.

Strangely enough these flags get put on cars and hung out of windows making the area look a complete shithole all the time and so proving that you can do it.
    Nobody has ever been that flag that isn't hanging out your window, take it down now.

It isn't that you can't do or say things, it's people are scared to do/say things because they can't deal with or accept that there will be repercussions of their actions. Or they believe they can't do/say things because the media or other people say you can't do/say things

I generally don't say things I shouldn't because I am a grown up and know the difference between right and wrong. I don't need political correctness telling me because I don't understand what is right or appropriate. I have however said un-PC things and not given a toss that it's not PC. The result was...nothing!
    Even the people that are PC said nothing as they didn't have the guts to speak up on their own and challenge me. I've seen it on their faces or know them well enough to know they aren't happy and want to challenge me, but they don't. Not that it would have made any difference either way.

I say something racist, offensive or un-PC

Facts

I can't un-say it even if I want too.... it remains already said
    I can say sorry.. but it's still remains said
    I can be fined/sacked... but it's still remains said
    Thing go forward unchallenged or I get let off or given a warning... but it's still remains said.

I have 100% freedom of speech as long as I say it. There is nothing they can do to un-say what I have said.

People don't want the freedom to say what they want (they already have that) what they actually want is to not be held accountable for what they said and their actions.
    That is pathetic.

That is where Alan Brazil has it right. He said his opinion (showing he has freedom of speech) and not fearing that it may get him in trouble so keeping his opinion to himself
    He has already acknowledged other people may not agree with him but isn't complaining about how he can't say what he wants because of liberals and do-gooders.
    There will be plenty of people that agree with his opinion that will be hiding behind the "I can't say what I want blah blah blah" not because they can't say they agree with him but because they don't have the bottle and integrity to say how they fear out of fear of being seen as being nasty or wrong.
    That is why there are so many online warriors. All the people that haven't the guts to say it and be recognised hide behind the anonymity of the internet to say what they think.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    @ cunningham

Mental health sufferers are one group that have been squeezed by the ATOS assessments and government plans to reduce the number of people on ESA or what used to be (and might still be for all I know) DLA. There will be casualties - no doubt about it - because the assessments are shameful and mental health sufferers are set up to fail. I doubt such an experience does anything for someone in such a bad place to begin with.

You've already went to a GP and been treated for depression, probably been referred to a psychologist who also treats you for depression, possibly been hospitalised at some point, yet you are assessed by someone who ignores the experts who have assessed you and starts assessing you from the point of view that you are putting everything on and cross-examines you as though you are a criminal.

It's a horrible, shaming experience - much worse than the initial confession to a GP - and I'd advise anyone who can to avoid it if at all possible. I found it easier just to claim JSA even though every doctor or job centre advisor told me I was on the wrong benefit because having to go through all my mental health problems yet again with yet another "expert" (and one whose starting position was disbelief) was actually more damaging to my mental health than anything else.

I don't see why the benefits people can't just contact the person's doctor and psychologist and try to minimise the stress on someone who is already struggling with mental health rather than adding to their problems. If you've been getting assessed for a period of years by experts then why not go to those experts to answer any questions?

I can only conclude that the government think that if they make people relive their problems in front of the ATOS test that this will put people off claiming benefits they are entitled to. It's a shameful practice and will result in deaths. It might save the DWP some money though so I suppose that's the important thing. (sarcasm)

I don't know how they live with themselves sometimes.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The Jeremy Clarkson technique for free publicity.

Exactly.

His show has had so much free advertising since Robin Williams' unfortunate demise & Brazil's subsequent ill timed & unwarranted comments.

Brazil appears to be untouchable at TS Towers, that's for sure.

He's been embarrassing the station for over a decade & yet, they still keep him on & not only that, they give him ever more lucrative contracts.:confused:

I wouldn't mind if he was a broadcasting giant with no equal, but he isn't.

He can't even pronounce half the things he gets put before him to read, yet he's treated almost like a God by the suits at TS.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible odious guy. Do people still actually pay him?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOSWolf wrote: »
    It amazes me that Brazil still works for Talk sport. He wouldn't last 5 minutes at bbc or sky.

Yes a low rent radio station based on football phone ins. Robin Williams was a comedy genius who entertained millions, appeared in classic films like Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society, and had to endure a battle against bankruptcy, stress and depression( horrible as I suffer from the last two every so often). Brazil is probably only known to people who remember him as a reasonable footballer in the eighties and most people, except for Talksport listeners, have forgotten about.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brazil is an ex Scottish international footballer............................more reason for him to understand depression.