Options

Why have things suddenly unravelled for Joe Hart?

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Hart may be the best English goalkeeper in the country but in terms of the top class keepers in the world he wouldn't feature in the the top 20. There are even a number of better keepers just in the Premier League. So you can't really blame Guardiola for looking elsewhere, given his brief to make Man City one of the most successful clubs in Europe.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Joe Hart may be the best English goalkeeper in the country but in terms of the top class keepers in the world he wouldn't feature in the the top 20. There are even a number of better keepers just in the Premier League. So you can't really blame Guardiola for looking elsewhere, given his brief to make Man City one of the most successful clubs in Europe.

I wouldn't say there's that much of a difference between Hart and the goalkeepers at the other top Premier League clubs though. Hart's mistakes seem to be focused on more, probably because he's the England no.1, but you could be as critical of the others with certain aspects of their games.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still think Everton would take him if the cost was right, Koeman has said he wants 3 goalkeepers.

Currently we have 2 goalkeepers, who are about the same level, bench warmers, EFL Cup, FA Cup, starters.

Skeltenburg has done well, but wasn't a guaranteed starter for Fulham
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just not the case at all. Of course it possible that no deal gets done before the deadline but I think you are being hugely simplistic here.

Hart in a high profile top level goalkeeper and has been for a number of years, he is an international footballer and up until a fortnight ago was the number one for an established Champions League team. However because he is such a big personality at the club and because of how Guardiola has handled it there is no way he wants Hart at City when the window closes. I would expect City to pay part of the wages if it was needed to push a loan deal through.

Hart doesn't want out as you put it. Hart wants to stay and play for Man City, its their manager that has made it clear that isn't happening.

Listing teams or speculating is pointless because we don't know, but history tells us that the last few days of the window are frantic and as such I find it quite extraordinary that you have written him off with a number days left for deals to be done.

I may be looking at things in a simplistic or in a bare bones kind of way, but when it comes down to the basic level the two things that matter here the two points that I raised together if a transfer is to happen for him.

If he stays at City, it is obvious that he will not be featuring for them, especially as they now have got their new number one.

So he needs to go to a club that has not already got a firmly established number one, and who will be prepared and able to pay him his huge wages, as from what has been reported, City are not willing to help out in that regard.

If City change their mind, and they would be willing to pay a proportion of his wages, then that might just open up more options for him.

We have seen even with the media they are struggling to link him to a club since Everton have seemingly said no to the current type of deal that is being proposed (linking him with Liverpool who have already got two first choice keepers sums this up).

The last few days of the window strange things can happen I agree with you there, but as I say for him to leave, it would I think require City to help pay part of his wages, as the clubs that could afford his wages as a whole package, (135k I have seen it reported as being a week) are not really in that much of a need for a new number one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still think Everton would take him if the cost was right, Koeman has said he wants 3 goalkeepers.

Currently we have 2 goalkeepers, who are about the same level, bench warmers, EFL Cup, FA Cup, starters.

Skeltenburg has done well, but wasn't a guaranteed starter for Fulham

I think you are right, but I think it would require City to change their demands, if a deal to Everton were to happen, as I don't think Everton would be (from the sounds of things) prepared to pay his wages in full.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are right, but I think it would require City to change their demands, if a deal to Everton were to happen, as I don't think Everton would be (from the sounds of things) prepared to pay his wages in full.

Thing is Everton probably could afford his wages, but the problem would be if they payed Joe 130k a week, the rest of them would be wanting pay increases
  • Options
    Monkey HarrisMonkey Harris Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Thing is Everton probably could afford his wages, but the problem would be if they payed Joe 130k a week, the rest of them would be wanting pay increases

This is always quoted and almost never happens unless its written in to a contract.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be amazed to hear that the entire Everton first team squad all currently earn the same amount as each other.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is always quoted and almost never happens unless its written in to a contract.

What makes you think that?
  • Options
    Monkey HarrisMonkey Harris Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    What makes you think that?

The almost complete absence of players demanding new contracts and transfers based on their clubs signing better players. Players actually seem to understand the hierarchy that exists at every club.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    City to pay £90,000 a week of Harts wages just to get rid of him from the club!

Sunderland seem the only club interested, how will his over inflated ego cope?
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    City to pay £90,000 a week of Harts wages just to get rid of him from the club!

Sunderland seem the only club interested, how will his over inflated ego cope?

Sunderland is a big drop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do we know he has an over inflated ego?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    How do we know he has an over inflated ego?

have you ever watched an interview with him before/ after an england game?

His personality stinks
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you didn't watch England?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    I thought you didn't watch England?

Correct, i didnt watch the england games. I do now.

That didnt stop me viewing or reding interviews about and with the players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing he's said on England duty suggests he'd feel humiliated to play for a different club. Wild leap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he doesn't find a club willing to take him either permanently or on a loan deal, he surely cannot be in any England squads going forward until he is back playing first team football.

It would be a bit of a farce, seeing a third choice player with no first team football being called up, over others who have played this season.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under no circumstances should he go to Sunderland. He'd be better waiting it out and going to a half decent club.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    Under no circumstances should he go to Sunderland. He'd be better waiting it out and going to a half decent club.

Depends on his motivation.

Money? Stay at City.
    "Big name" reputation? Look for a move to a club bigger than Sunderland.
    England duty? Sunderland is a great move.

He'll be very much in the spotlight at Sunderland and kept very busy indeed. If being England No. 1 is something that is important to him (and I'm not going to second guess whether it is or not), then Sunderland is as good a place as any.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Depends on his motivation.

Money? Stay at City.
    "Big name" reputation? Look for a move to a club bigger than Sunderland.
    England duty? Sunderland is a great move.

He'll be very much in the spotlight at Sunderland and kept very busy indeed. If being England No. 1 is something that is important to him (and I'm not going to second guess whether it is or not), then Sunderland is as good a place as any.

If he goes to Sunderland his career is definitely done. His career is practically done anyway as no top team wants him and he's 29 years old, but he has to hold out for at least a half decent team to have a chance.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torino have confirmed their interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    If he goes to Sunderland his career is definitely done. His career is practically done anyway as no top team wants him and he's 29 years old, but he has to hold out for at least a half decent team to have a chance.

and will probably get relegated with moyes at the helm

hart is done, he cannot even get a half decent club to take a change on him for £30,000 a week wages (and no transfer fee) for a year, with city willing to cough up £90,000 a week just to have him out of the door!
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    and will probably get relegated with moyes at the helm

hart is done, he cannot even get a half decent club to take a change on him for £30,000 a week wages (and no transfer fee) for a year, with city willing to cough up £90,000 a week just to have him out of the door!

Nonsense, he's on big wages so unless a club is crying out for a no1 he's going to struggle a bit to be moved on. Liverpool and Everton have bought goalkeepers so his best options have probably gone in England.

Ok he's been overrated by the press but it doesn't mean he's turned to shite overnight.

He shouldn't go anywhere near Sunderland either, he is far too good for them.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really get all the dislike for Hart. Sure he's a bit error prone and maybe a bit overrated but he's a decent keeper.
    Why on earth should he take a pay cut just because the club he signed a contract with don't want him. If he decides to sit on his backside then so be it. I doubt he will as he doesn't seem that type and probably wants to play.
    He deserves a bit better than Sunderland....