Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Sunderland are signing Javi Manquillo. I liked what I saw of him when he was with us. Will be one to watch. I think I'll put him on my fantasy team.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    This will be Henderson's most important season. He was unfortunate last season because of his injury problems, but now he really has to step up and earn that armband. He's not irreplaceable, and he certainly isn't Steven Gerrard. It's a real make or break season for him, I don't think he can afford to be average, and that's assuming he makes it all the way to the next summer transfer window.

I've always liked Hendo, even under Dalglish, and he played well in the 13/14 season so I really want it to work out for him, but it's down to him now. If he doesn't earn his way into Klopp's future plans then I'll be disappointed, but we've let a lot better go in the past.

Exactly how I feel. I think he's a great player when he's at his best but he's not at that level consistently enough. To be honest though you could say that of 90% of the players. Trouble is the captain has to be good all the time.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to see how they all did playing together for sure.
    totally agree about Hendo & Wij - not ahown anywhere near enough to merit a start.

Lucas should be our DCM not Hendo, Can if he was fully fit, or even Stewart possibly yes but no more Hendo in that role.

Looking forward to game v Spurs but still worry over our lack of consistency

Not sure Lucas has the legs to thrive in midfield in Klopp's system, hence him being played at centre back in the past.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunderland are signing Javi Manquillo. I liked what I saw of him when he was with us. Will be one to watch. I think I'll put him on my fantasy team.

Bad shout. Manquillo is a good player (and we should have signed him to a permanent deal imo) but Sunderland are gonna leak goals this season. Defensive picks are surely more about the team than the individual player, unless they're assigned as free kick/enalty taker such as Charlie Daniels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Bad shout. Manquillo is a good player (and we should have signed him to a permanent deal imo) but Sunderland are gonna leak goals this season. Defensive picks are surely more about the team than the individual player, unless they're assigned as free kick/enalty taker such as Charlie Daniels.

Well Moyes is a defensive manager, so there's the chance of clean sheets. And I prefer fullbacks for my defense since they could get the odd goal or assist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Moyes is a defensive manager, so there's the chance of clean sheets. And I prefer fullbacks for my defense since they could get the odd goal or assist.

Moyes is defensive, but I just can't see Sunderland's defence being all that solid. Not in the space of a season anyway.

You know who I think is a belter shout? Gareth McAuley. West Brom are gonna park the bus most games, and the majority of their goals are gonna come from set pieces. He's a real threat, and dirt cheap too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I might wait until later on in the season when they really are in a relegation battle, where you're more likely to see them getting 1-0s.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Exactly how I feel. I think he's a great player when he's at his best but he's not at that level consistently enough. To be honest though you could say that of 90% of the players. Trouble is the captain has to be good all the time.

I think Henderson gets unfair criticism regarding his attributes but there's no denying he's not the same player since his injuries. He was superb in the season we finished runners-up and his suspension may have been one of the reasons we fell short at the end.

Grujic and Can are probably the future unless Henderson finds his best form again (that's assuming his role in Klopp's system allows that).

Interesting to see who starts in central midfield against Spurs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lallana, Grujic and Wijnaldum will probably start as a midfield three against Spurs.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wasn't convinced with him tbh but I think we should have allowed him the second season of his loan to show what he could do.

Think he was on loan at marseille last season ?
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

For someone that often links to that rag elsewhere on this forum, I don't think you're one who should be judging him.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I noted that a LFC 'fan' had compiled a video of Hendo's performance V Burnley and Burton in order to show him up. Totally out of order in my eyes. Hendo has had some excellent games for us, his attitude has always been excellent and does not deserve that but yeah his current performances are not great. What we need to do is leave him out for now and work with him to try to get him back to his former level.

Hendo in his role as LFC captain is a hard issue - as he will not be playing he maybe should be relieved of being the captain but that will devastate him so I think we need to hold fire on that for a while and see how it all pans out.

As I implied earlier my inclination on current form is for a front 6 of Lucas (or Gruic), and Can then Coutinho with a front 3 of Mane, Origi and Sturridge. On Saturday V Spurs if Origi can';t start then play Firmino and also play Gruic if Lucas is still unavailable.

I do like both Hendo and Wijnaldum for their attitudes and in time i am sure both probably have a role to play but for now as they are not at the required level they have to be left out - for their own good as much as anything- it is not as if we do not have other options is it.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be Henderson's most important season. He was unfortunate last season because of his injury problems, but now he really has to step up and earn that armband. He's not irreplaceable, and he certainly isn't Steven Gerrard. It's a real make or break season for him, I don't think he can afford to be average, and that's assuming he makes it all the way to the next summer transfer window.

I've always liked Hendo, even under Dalglish
    , and he played well in the 13/14 season so I really want it to work out for him, but it's down to him now. If he doesn't earn his way into Klopp's future plans then I'll be disappointed, but we've let a lot better go in the past.

Really? How can that be :D , seriously he was beyond awful under Kenny. I know he was often playing on the right but still it was like he couldn't even do the basics. The CC final v Cardiff was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from him, hence him being rightly subbed.

For me he's had one very good season, the obvious season with us challenging for the title, in no others has he been anything other than ok. Which for me is nowhere near captain material.

Yes he played in an unfamiliar CDM role v Burnley and was poor but against Burton Albion he wasn't in that position and was still pretty poor overall, his passing has been woeful so far this season hence Alan's comment about a fan making clips of his "awfulness". I did watch the clip to be honest, wasn't pretty.

I don't want to lambast the fella, really I don't but ...I want far more from a LFC captain than he gives. It's not like he makes up for poor performances with his leadership qualities(?) or anything. Squad player for me these days.

A brave decision was once made to strip Sami of the LFC captaincy and replace him with Stevie G ...we all know how well that worked out for all parties.
  • Options
    Sebastian1992Sebastian1992 Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    Really? How can that be :D , seriously he was beyond awful under Kenny. I know he was often playing on the right but still it was like he couldn't even do the basics. The CC final v Cardiff was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from him, hence him being rightly subbed.

For me he's had one very good season, the obvious season with us challenging for the title, in no others has he been anything other than ok. Which for me is nowhere near captain material.

Yes he played in an unfamiliar CDM role v Burnley and was poor but against Burton Albion he wasn't in that position and was still pretty poor overall, his passing has been woeful so far this season hence Alan's comment about a fan making clips of his "awfulness". I did watch the clip to be honest, wasn't pretty.

I don't want to lambast the fella, really I don't but ...I want far more from a LFC captain than he gives. It's not like he makes up for poor performances with his leadership qualities(?) or anything. Squad player for me these days.

A brave decision was once made to strip Sami of the LFC captaincy and replace him with Stevie G ...we all know how well that worked out for all parties.

There aren't any leaders in our squad really though.

Milner isn't exactly an inspiring choice for a captain, and Sakho has pissed off the hierarchy at the club apparently.

We don't really have any Gerrard-style characters who can lift an inspire the squad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Malbren wrote: »

Because I just did. I liked him and saw his potential and thought he would come good, and he did. I know what he's capable of.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumour were going to Take Hart (see what i did there ;)), with Mignolet going to Sunderland on Loan, to cover for Mannone being out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Rumour were going to Take Hart (see what i did there ;)), with Mignolet going to Sunderland on Loan, to cover for Mannone being out.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-not-signing-joe-hart-11805486
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i know he said it was a no, but after Sunderland finding out about Mannones injury, and how long hes going to be out for, i thought there might have been a change, or im getting wound up, which is probably what it is :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe Hart won't come to Liverpool to be #2, this deal simply isn't happening. I don't know why we're the number one club the media have decided to go with regarding Hart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Tony Barrett on Twitter:

Liverpool have made an £11m offer for Christian Pulisic, Borussia Dortmund's 17-year-old winger.

Worth the money to be fair. Even if it doesn't come off, we'd probably get that money back due to all the shirts he'd sell over in America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    From Tony Barrett on Twitter:

Liverpool have made an £11m offer for Christian Pulisic, Borussia Dortmund's 17-year-old winger.

Worth the money to be fair. Even if it doesn't come off, we'd probably get that money back due to all the shirts he'd sell over in America.

Clubs don't make much money from shirt sales, it's a myth.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths&ved=0ahUKEwi54IGQluDOAhXMBsAKHVYiCjkQiJQBCCQwAg&usg=AFQjCNFtRwDdAHwXDF0FsPT7pdJFyfkW5w&sig2=pOCiR6LaZNCDT3hLKfUMzQ
  • Options
    Highest GradeHighest Grade Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-37156360

Nice bit of justice for the scum who were responsible for that disgusting banner. I would have given them 6 months each.

Looking forward to the match. Just hope we got our finishing boots on.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    Liverpool: Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Mane, Coutinho, Firmino.

Subs: Manninger, Grujic, Moreno, Lucas, Sturridge, Origi, Stewart.
This discussion has been closed.