Options

Fussy kittens ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
I have 2 rescue kittens (11months old) that are the fussiest eaters ever. They will eat just one type of dry kitten food and except for (human) 'tuna in spring water' will not touch any type of wet cat/kitten food.
I overheard somewhere that tuna is not particularly good for cats, leading to problems in later life - does anyone have details about that? Also, has anyone heard of any kind of 'irresistible' food that I could try?The 'kitties are NOT into home cooked offerings either. Any suggestions much appreciated.
BTW - I'm a 'newie'!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how long have you had them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can sprinkle cat nip on there food sometimes that helps. Kittens can be fussey eaters.
  • Options
    boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or just dish up your chosen cat food and if they don't eat it, tough! They won't let themselves starve to death so don't worry too much. We did this with one of our cats, and though she's still a fussy eater, she's not as fussy as she was after a couple of days of turning her nose up at perfectly good food :p
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I give my kittens a variety of different (good quality) brands when they're small to try to ensure they don't get fussy, but some of them nevertheless manage to defy you on that score!

They are not really kittens any more and should be moving onto adult food now (kitten food is just a marketing ploy IMO anyway!)

Tuna is fine as, say, a weekly treat (mine have always liked tuna as a treat) but I don't think it is ideal as a daily part of their diet.

There is no problem with them having only one brand of food, but personally I would want them to have a diet which included wet cat food every day. The only way to persuade them they'd like to eat it is to dish it up and not give them a choice. They won't starve to death - although they will try to persuade you otherwise.:D
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Chloe was a kitten and refusing to eat anything other than Felix Chicken in jelly sachets, I started trying him on other food and made a huge deal of it as I put the bowl down. Lots of ''what has mummy got for you.'' etc etc and even sniffing the bowl as if I was going to eat it too. Yes ok I'm an idiot. But it worked.

He now eats Gourmet Gold, Sheba and various other high priced foods. Won't touch the bloody felix anymore.

He's never liked tuna. I occasionally make him some scrambled egg though, which he adores.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine all used to eat dry. I took them off that because there was a problem with the food. I tried them on felix tins, felix pouches, and got them on whiskas pouches that upset there stomachs they are now on whiskas tins and go cat. I do have 3 cats that have to have go-cat sprinked on them though. Cats can be picky mine eat anything they can get hold off. they have a chicken once a wk and a tin of tuna one has prawns as well. It does sound a lot but when they get this i reduce the wet food they get and less dry. If my maisey moo hasnt had fresh meat for a couple of days she just isnt interseted in the cat food at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They've been with me since October and were fed on anything the rescue center could get. I've tried the 'eat that or nothing approach' but could only hold out for one day. I persevere with all sorts but they'll just lick the jelly off and go back to the dry stuff.
    I don't give tuna everyday, probably a couple of times a week - oh and BTW they're very active, playful & happy cats.
    Thank you for all your helpful replies.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of my cats lick the jelly off and go to the dry. Another suggestion is just give them a realy tiny amount at a time. Have you tried supermeat or even the cheaper supermarket cat food. My maisey when she found us wouldnt eat much at all. I found that a foil tin costing 18p did the trick. How much dry and wet food do you feed your cats. Mine get around 150gms per day each as well as there dry biscuits. I use between 4-6 tins plus biscuits a day. Another thought what sort of dishes are you feeding them from. Some cats dont like plastic try them on a saucer it might be messey mush it up as well. Let us know on how they get on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get the normal stuff but put out in small quantities with a bit of tuna sprinkled on top. My take some perseverance.

Also my experience with most of my cats the more smelly and disgusting the food the more they like it ewwwwwww.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    My Cat used to be fussy.. I found a cure though... For a whole week I fed tiddles dog shit.. (donated by a friendly neighbour) My Cat detested it and I had to rub its face in the 'food' for it to even go near it. The following week back to his normal diet and he never turned his nose up again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    Some of my cats lick the jelly off and go to the dry. Another suggestion is just give them a realy tiny amount at a time. Have you tried supermeat or even the cheaper supermarket cat food. My maisey when she found us wouldnt eat much at all. I found that a foil tin costing 18p did the trick. How much dry and wet food do you feed your cats. Mine get around 150gms per day each as well as there dry biscuits. I use between 4-6 tins plus biscuits a day. Another thought what sort of dishes are you feeding them from. Some cats dont like plastic try them on a saucer it might be messey mush it up as well. Let us know on how they get on.
    Thanks Maisy Moo - I will try the saucer 'trick' - they have various dishes, plastic, china, metal and nothing phases them if there is tuna......:-) Re - the amount, they have one sachet between them per day - so 1/4 per meal and I top up the dry whenever the bowl is empty, so it's always available. It's a comfort to know that the dry is a complete kitten food, so they could survive on that alone....?
    On the vet's advice - I'll move them on to adult food in another month. Apparently kitten food is important for their development, as it contains higher amounts of protein. Thanks again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Cat used to be fussy.. I found a cure though... For a whole week I fed tiddles dog shit.. (donated by a friendly neighbour) My Cat detested it and I had to rub its face in the 'food' for it to even go near it. The following week back to his normal diet and he never turned his nose up again.
    Oh dear, that seems a bit harsh........:-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Get the normal stuff but put out in small quantities with a bit of tuna sprinkled on top. My take some perseverance.

Also my experience with most of my cats the more smelly and disgusting the food the more they like it ewwwwwww.
    Yes, I tried that today & the tiny amounts seem to work - thank you for that.