EE Double Speed - Coverage Map

Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just noticed they've integrated this into the coverage map, for my area (Newcastle) it now shows:

UPGRADED TO DOUBLE SPEED 4G
Great news, the 4G network in this area has been upgraded to double speed 4G. This means everything is even faster than before, like uploading large files or downloading a film from EE's Film Store.

Nice addition I think :)

Comments

• The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Nice. Just read 4G coverage is at around 60% now and in 95 towns & cities! (by pop)
  • unouno Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no sign of 4G in Market Harborough where my office is based despite EE promising it would be by June/July.
    I have noticed while driving around Leicestershire this week that there has been a lot of times where I have had no service or only 2G in areas where I know there is good LTE coverage, i presume they are working on the masts for the double speed upgrades.
  • Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read that also, and still aiming for 98% 4G coverage by 2014 apparently
    Forum Member
    uno wrote: »
    Still no sign of 4G in Market Harborough where my office is based despite EE promising it would be by June/July.
    I have noticed while driving around Leicestershire this week that there has been a lot of times where I have had no service or only 2G in areas where I know there is good LTE coverage, i presume they are working on the masts for the double speed upgrades.

Where did you see info for Market Harborough?
  • unouno Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our business account manager told us it would be late June/July as they were going to be doing the area after Leicester but coverage seems to stop 3 miles south of city then nothing until Milton Keynes.
    The account manager told us that as the masts in Market Harborough are very old with always 1-2mb download and 1mb upload that they would go straight to 4G as part MBNL as they are mostly former Orange masts. Since the masts were put up the size of the town and busineses has exploded with lots of new housing areas and apartments for commuters to London. EE have such a bad reputation round here for poor speeds I hope they get it sorted soon.
  • heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit misleading imo.....

Double speed 4g ? Still nowhere near other countries LTE, which isn't even 4g.....

What topline speed are they claiming ?
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heidtheba wrote: »
    Bit misleading imo.....

Double speed 4g ? Still nowhere near other countries LTE, which isn't even 4g.....

What do you mean nowhere near other countries? No one is doing anything faster than EE's Cat 4 150 Mb/s although there are quite a few now that are the same like SK Telecom, Singtel, Vodafone Aus... The only issue is that apart from a few Huawei devices most can't get the full whack (although they still benefit from double speed).
    Forum Member
    Bit misleading imo.....

Best you check the actual specs before commenting!
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    Has anybody experienced the double speed yet? Any speedtests to show? Just curious as to how fast it goes.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Bit misleading imo.....

20mbps+
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Has anybody experienced the double speed yet? Any speedtests to show? Just curious as to how fast it goes.

Belfast wasn't said to be double speed but I'm yet to find a 4G mast that isn't double speed. This is the best I've seen -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k825cfnbbbq2lfh/2013-06-28%2011.17.14.png
  • bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    davybhoy wrote: »
    Belfast wasn't said to be double speed but I'm yet to find a 4G mast that isn't double speed. This is the best I've seen -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k825cfnbbbq2lfh/2013-06-28%2011.17.14.png

Just checked a couple of postcodes, showing on the map as double speed.
    Belfast, Newcastle and Southampton announced as double speed in yesterday's press release

Great speed test....I think it's remarkable that mobile can now outperform fttc & cable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double speed in Newcastle a couple of days ago

http://i42.tinypic.com/2s1sx9h.jpg
  • squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone provide a little more information as to what "double speed" LTE is? Is it a particular revision of the LTE spec or are more MHz given to LTE in that area?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squawkBOX wrote: »
    Can someone provide a little more information as to what "double speed" LTE is? Is it a particular revision of the LTE spec or are more MHz given to LTE in that area?

20MHZ rather than 10MHZ I believe
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20MHZ rather than 10MHZ I believe

Actually 40MHz [20MHz on the upload and 20MHz on the Download] where before it was 20MHz [10MHz upload and 10MHz download]
  • squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Actually 40MHz [20MHz on the upload and 20MHz on the Download] where before it was 20MHz [10MHz upload and 10MHz download]

Would that be expressed as 2x20MHz?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^ That's what I was getting at, but that's where the "double" comes from
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squawkBOX wrote: »
    Would that be expressed as 2x20MHz?

It would be yes.
    ^^^^^ That's what I was getting at, but that's where the "double" comes from

Sorry I wasn't sure if you were or not.
    Forum Member
    So lets talk about Double Speed on O2 or Vodafone with 800....
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So lets talk about Double Speed on O2 or Vodafone with 800....
    Voda 2600...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    It would be yes.

Sorry I wasn't sure if you were or not.

No worries, you explained it better than me anyway :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd also include if the area has been upgraded to DC-HSPA. They've even removed all reference to their coverage from the network pages on the site. The last they said anything about it, it was only 40% coverage.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    PollyPerm wrote: »
    I wish they'd also include if the area has been upgraded to DC-HSPA. They've even removed all reference to their coverage from the network pages on the site. The last they said anything about it, it was only 40% coverage.

They do....

Check the coverage checker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Where on the coverage checker? I know it shows 3g coverage, but I cant see where it specifically says if the area has DC-HSPA?