Options

EE Double Speed - Coverage Map

13»

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    What a stupid thing to say.

My home broadband is 11MBit/sec and that downloads files fine?!?

It was a joke... that's why it was such a stupid comment...

Do people not get such obvious jokes on this forum or something...?
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Clearly I didn't. Blame that on a 5 year old daughter keeping me awake half the night.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The speeds on EE are likely to slow down as more and more people switch to 4G. It is nice being on something new that doesn't have capacity constraints at the moment, but I suspect we'll see a general slowdown as more customers migrate when they renew contracts.

As it will with Three's DC... as they add more and more heavy data users and 3 will only have 20Mhz of LTE in 1800 until 2015 vs 90 of EE's which by end of 2014 EE will be able to be used totally on LTE....

However you know fine well that MBNL have more than enough backhaul capacity to handle LTE & DC for many years to come. Unlikely the (upto) 100Gbps pipes will be saturated any time soon.

ALSO as you know EE & Soon to be Three have such a chunk of 1800 that it makes what O2 & Voda's 800 even combined look a bit daft. Lets ignore the 2000+frequencies for now.

Have we heard what Backhaul Voda will be using?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Clearly I didn't. Blame that on a 5 year old daughter keeping me awake half the night.

No worries mate, although I think I'm going to have to be a bit more obvious next time I make a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As it will with Three's DC... as they add more and more heavy data users and 3 will only have 20Mhz of LTE in 1800 until 2015 vs 90 of EE's which by end of 2014 EE will be able to be used totally on LTE....

However you know fine well that MBNL have more than enough backhaul capacity to handle LTE & DC for many years to come. Unlikely the (upto) 100Gbps pipes will be saturated any time soon.

ALSO as you know EE & Soon to be Three have such a chunk of 1800 that it makes what O2 & Voda's 800 even combined look a bit daft. Lets ignore the 2000+frequencies for now.

Have we heard what Backhaul Voda will be using?

Undoubtedly C+W bespoke backhaul......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    No worries mate, although I think I'm going to have to be a bit more obvious next time I make a joke.

My fault. Need more coffee :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davybhoy wrote: »
    Here's the 1 from earlier. Don't think it'll be beaten for a while yet...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/297r94gkq01ct2a/2013-08-04%2010.32.06.png

I wish we got those speeds on our LTE cell in Plymouth :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Undoubtedly C+W bespoke backhaul......

HA! So bespoke.. no details on what it is!
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redcoat wrote: »
    That's what has happened in Australia with Telstra. When they originally rolled out their 1800MHz LTE network the early adopters (mostly mobile broadband users) were reporting blistering speeds. Once the iPhone 5 was launched the LTE network suddenly got a sizeable chunk of additional users on it the average speeds that early adopters had began to fall.
    Makes sense really, if unfortunately.

Now that their coverage maps shows places which benefit from 2x20MHz LTE, maybe EE could get the finger out of their arses and show the 3G coverage improvements in Northern Ireland that they've had since the start of this year?

My sister lives in Perth and uses Telstra pay as you go. She has really slow ADSL and she didnt even realise she has 4g LTE on her phone. I asked her to do a speed test and it came back with 84Mbps :eek:. She has been using 1 meg down adsl for a year lol. I am going to see her in November so I will be unlocking my EE 4g MIFI :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish we got those speeds on our LTE cell in Plymouth :)

I've got 44Mbps on the one Darlington enabled site. Crazy that they enabled double speed, before rolling out to the rest of the town!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Redcoat wrote: »
    That's what has happened in Australia with Telstra. When they originally rolled out their 1800MHz LTE network the early adopters (mostly mobile broadband users) were reporting blistering speeds. Once the iPhone 5 was launched the LTE network suddenly got a sizeable chunk of additional users on it the average speeds that early adopters had began to fall.
    Makes sense really, if unfortunately.

Slight issue with that.. Telstra only have 20Mhz spectrum, EE has up to 2x45....

Up until recently Telstra have only been using upto 10Mhz, only starting to use 15 and 20 Mhz in certain cities now.
    They only have 2X5Mhz continuous 1800 in certain territories.. totally different to the UK & EE.

They also have a less advanced expandable backhaul. Not comparable.
  • Options
    srw985srw985 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    tpk wrote: »
    I've got 44Mbps on the one Darlington enabled site. Crazy that they enabled double speed, before rolling out to the rest of the town!

You could get 55Mbps in Rhyl of all places months ago
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90 for LTE would leave nothing for 2G. Also using any more than 2x20 of 1800 before 2015 is very risky and not even necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My example for is for future needs.. i wasn't saying now. by 2015 2G will already be massively scaled back.
    It is there and backhaul capacity is there.. so the example about Oz just isn't applicable. Never mind the addition of 2600, 700, 2100 etc etc..
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My example for is for future needs.. i wasn't saying now. by 2015 2G will already be massively scaled back.
    That's fine but not quite what was in your previous post...

Anyways, the reason I think EE shouldn't use more than 2x20 of 1800 is political rather than technical. I think they've already got more than enough for 2G but the whole reason for the amount and timing of the spectrum they are losing was due to the evidence they gave to the European Commission where they argued that any more, any sooner would mean they couldn't run a 2x20 LTE network and there would also be severe capacity constraints for them and their MVNOs. It's mostly nonsense but if they now just magic up some extra for LTE, certainly before the final tranche is handed over to Three in Sep 2015 you can see why that might be a problem...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EE Says UK LTE Network Reaches 60% of the Population

UK based mobile network operator, EE says that it has expanded its LTE network to over 100 towns and cities across the country.

EE's LTE service is now available to businesses and consumers in a total of 105 towns and cities across the UK, covering 60% of the population in ten months after launch

In addition EE is upgrading already existing 4G networks to offer double speed 4G across a number of towns with average speeds of 24-30Mbps.

The double speed service kicks off today in Sunderland, Sutton Coldfield, Walsall, West Bromwich and Wolverhampton. Double speed 4G from EE is now available in 20 towns and cities across the UK.
    http://www.cellular-news.com/story/61721.php

Thoughts? Over 60% coverage, 700,000+ customers and double speed 4G now available in 20 of the 100+ towns and cities across the UK just 10 months after launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that the rollout in 10 months has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Will O2/Voda/3 offer 105 cities after 10 months from switch on?

I'm not gloating, but you have to admit, the rollout has been impressive and I do believe it is documented as the fastest network rollout in the world so far.

How quick did it take to roll out 3G on TM and Orange?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that the rollout in 10 months has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Will O2/Voda/3 offer 105 cities after 10 months from switch on?

I'm not gloating, but you have to admit, the rollout has been impressive and I do believe it is documented as the fastest network rollout in the world so far.

How quick did it take to roll out 3G on TM and Orange?

Oh i agree. EE have been quick on the ball with LTE and have already committed to LTE Advanced in 20 cities already with plans to launch VoLTE as soon as they can. Also they're predicting 98% LTE coverage by the end of 2014. Based on their aggressive roll out this year i'd say that is certainly achievable.

I do wonder if other networks can match EE or if they'll suffer the same fate all networks did during the 3G roll out.

In a way it does warrant the extra cost. But imo EE still don't have a killer app for 4G or uncapped data which for me makes it an unattractive offer. But like i said, their network support has been the best i've seen.

I think Three are going to be able to match EE very quickly though. No more than a year behind.