Samsung tv firmware update ruined my tv

Comments

• 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I can't because it wont let you install a lower firmware version over a higher one. That is how all firmware works. Only way to roll it back is to ask Samsung but they have told other people it can't be done.

May be true if you are using the tv as a example.

But not a true statment to firmware in general, some electrical equipment can be backdated with older firmware over writing the newer version.

Maybe samsung should consider this on future tvs.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    This can happen, a firmware is released and then causes mayhem and is pulled quite quickly.

Maybe wait a few days and Samsung might release a newer version?

A few days is rather optimistic - a few months is more likely, particularly considering the testing time required.

I'm presuming the OP did the up[date over the Internet?, as there's no Samsung OTA updates listed.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few days is rather optimistic - a few months is more likely, particularly considering the testing time required.

I'm presuming the OP did the up[date over the Internet?, as there's no Samsung OTA updates listed.

In the case of updates causing issues then quite often a previous version is re-issued with an updated version number.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    In the case of updates causing issues then quite often a previous version is re-issued with an updated version number.

See what they say tomorrow. If no joy I'll be taking this one back for an exchange. Hopefully a new one wont have the new firmware on it. In future if something works I wont be updating it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    You don't need to exchange it. It is faulty and the SOGA says you are entitled to your money back. Do this and sit back and decide what to do next. Even if you then buy the same model your guarantee and legal rights will be reset to the beginning which won't happen if you take an exchange.

Thing is, as far as picture quality goes it's pretty much my word against theirs over whether it's within tolerance levels and whether it was like that when I bought it. In other words whether they try to say, "that's how they all are and it's supposed to be like that". I know it wasn't but I can't prove it. And without setting up an identical tv next to mine and comparing like against like it's hard to prove. Whilst the picture quality now is pretty bad for this tv it may be OK compared to a cheaper tv but if I wanted this kind of quality I wouldn't have spent the extra £200 for a 600hz tv for it to look like a 50hz model. Plus if they test it with a HD source, they wont be able to tell anyway as the problem is only really noticeable on SD.

I'm sure he'll try to tell me it's 'normal' even though I know it isn't. No doubt he'll say, 'have you tried adjusting the picture settings?' and go for the usual fobbing me off. Only thing I seem to be able to prove is that part of the smart hub doesn't work anymore. Unless I can force it to crash on me which it doesn't do every time, I can't even prove that very well.

Their terms of sale say if it's over 21 days they wont refund. Only repair or if a repair isn't possible they will replace it with like for like but it's convincing them thar a repair is needed which is gonna be difficult if the sales guy says the picture quality is 'acceptable'. I bought it on the 29th August which makes it 25 days tomorrow although the fault was logged today with customer services.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Thing is, as far as picture quality goes it's pretty much my word against theirs over whether it's within tolerance levels and whether it was like that when I bought it. In other words whether they try to say, "that's how they all are and it's supposed to be like that". I know it wasn't but I can't prove it. And without setting up an identical tv next to mine and comparing like against like it's hard to prove. Whilst the picture quality now is pretty bad for this tv it may be OK compared to a cheaper tv but if I wanted this kind of quality I wouldn't have spent the extra £200 for a 600hz tv for it to look like a 50hz model. Plus if they test it with a HD source, they wont be able to tell anyway as the problem is only really noticeable on SD.

I'm sure he'll try to tell me it's 'normal' even though I know it isn't. No doubt he'll say, 'have you tried adjusting the picture settings?' and go for the usual fobbing me off. Only thing I seem to be able to prove is that part of the smart hub doesn't work anymore. Unless I can force it to crash on me which it doesn't do every time, I can't even prove that very well.

Their terms of sale say if it's over 21 days they wont refund. Only repair or if a repair isn't possible they will replace it with like for like but it's convincing them thar a repair is needed which is gonna be difficult if the sales guy says the picture quality is 'acceptable'. I bought it on the 29th August which makes it 25 days tomorrow although the fault was logged today with customer services.

Why mess with things you dont understand? Anyway you can still watch the tv, if not i bet you will have a little portable at home
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, as far as picture quality goes it's pretty much my word against theirs over whether it's within tolerance levels and whether it was like that when I bought it. In other words whether they try to say, "that's how they all are and it's supposed to be like that". I know it wasn't but I can't prove it. And without setting up an identical tv next to mine and comparing like against like it's hard to prove. Whilst the pi tire quality now is bad for this tv it may be OK compared to a cheaper tv. Plus if they test it with a HD source, they wont be able to tell anyway as the problem is only really noticeable on SD.

The SOGA regulations totally outweigh any so called terms of sale. Read the SOGA regs here.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act/

You fall well within the 6 month limit which calls for the retailer to prove the goods were fit for purpose.

You don't have to prove anything, simply insist the TV is not fit for purpose, then it's down to them to prove otherwise, not vice versa.

Talk to your local trading standards, and in future buy from a retailer that does not flagrantly ignore the law. :eek:

Talking from experience, a friend bought a laptop from PC World as new.

It wasn't new, it had previously been set up and failed to boot properly.

Asked to help, I confronted the branch manager who claimed to be Microsoft Trained :eek:

A few choice questions revealed he knew very little about PC's.

Should have followed up on the obvious fraud, as they then offered to refund the money (clearly recognising they were out on a limb), so did not pursue it any further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Why mess with things you dont understand? Anyway you can still watch the tv, if not i bet you will have a little portable at home

I didn't mess with it. Samsung sent out an update that made it worse. How is that messing? I'm not sure what your point is. Just because it's watchable doesn't mean I should put up an an inferior product than the one I've paid for. How was I to know that an official update would screw things up?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I can't because it wont let you install a lower firmware version over a higher one. That is how all firmware works. Only way to roll it back is to ask Samsung but they have told other people it can't be done. However if it's a faulty update they are obliged I think to release a fix via another update.

I'll call Samsung tomorrow and if no joy I'll take it back to the shop. Didn't really want to do that though and risk it getting damaged in transit.

Just do a factory reset........Best to try that before lugging things about.
    Samsung can connect to your tv if it's net connected and diagnose possible faults...Via their support pages..
  • suziequesuzieque Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    It's your own fault for buying it from Currys. Get it from Amazon next time.

I dont wish to rub salt into any ones wounds but I still find it a mystery why folks buy from retailors that do not have a good will policey.

The op knows already he will get no help from his supplier, so way did he buy there ?

Use someone like Richersounds or John Lewis who will look after you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Just do a factory reset........Best to try that before lugging things about.
    Samsung can connect to your tv if it's net connected and diagnose possible faults...Via their support pages..

Can't contact them until tomorrow but already tried 2 factory resets and made no difference. Firmware version is still reading the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suzieque wrote: »
    I dont wish to rub salt into any ones wounds but I still find it a mystery why folks buy from retailors that do not have a good will policey.

The op knows already he will get no help from his supplier, so way did he buy there ?

Use someone like Richersounds or John Lewis who will look after you.

Because at the time the particular model I'd set my heart on was only available in several places. One was an unknown online retailer who I didn't know to trust and the others were Amazon and John Lewis who were both over £100 more expensive at the time. Even now they are still more expensive. Couldn't afford to spend over £100 more for exactly the same thing as I'd already gone over my budget and wasn't prepared to buy from an online retailer who I've never heard of or had dealings with. I wouldn't normally touch places like Currys or PC world with a bargepole but they were the cheapest by far.

I looked at Richersounds at first but they didn't stock it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because at the time the particular model I'd set my heart on was only available in several places. One was an unknown online retailer who I didn't know to trust and the others were Amazon and John Lewis who were both over £100 more expensive at the time. Even now they are still more expensive. Couldn't afford to spend over £100 more for exactly the same thing as I'd already gone over my budget and wasn't prepared to buy from an online retailer who I've never heard of or had dealings with. I wouldn't normally touch places like Currys or PC world with a bargepole but they were the cheapest by far.

I looked at Richersounds at first but they didn't stock it.

It's a bit late now, but I'd recommend Richer Sounds, next time too.

They replaced a TV that LG wouldn't fix properly, without question, and said they'd also replace another TV that developed banding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoke to Samsung this morning who said they are aware of a number of issues caused by the latest firmware update including random shutting down and restarting, picture flicker, smart hub issues, programme guide not refreshing and apps crashing although she said this is the first time she's aware of picture issues. Without question she issued me with a returns number so I can take it back to Currys. Apparently they have to accept it back.

It begs the question, do Samsung not bother to test their software before sending out their downdates? What's even more annoying is, they are aware of the issues yet are still putting out the update instead of pulling it.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TV market is in melt down and it very likely that this particular TV was in the store that you bought it from at the lower pride due to a exclusive deal negotiated by the retailer . IE we will buy 5000 units at price x provided you don't rebate the other retailers . You can see the signs of this all over the place . IE a TV in a major supermarket at £249 with a big sign saying save £100 . The deal is that if any other retailer was to purchase this from the importer it would result in a price of £349 . but the deal was set up by a exclusive deal between the importer and the supermarket months ago ! .
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoke to Samsung this morning who said they are aware of a number of issues caused by the latest firmware update including random shutting down and restarting, picture flicker, smart hub issues, programme guide not refreshing and apps crashing although she said this is the first time she's aware of picture issues. Without question she issued me with a returns number so I can take it back to Currys. Apparently they have to accept it back.

It begs the question, do Samsung not bother to test their software before sending out their downdates? What's even more annoying is, they are aware of the issues yet are still putting out the update instead of pulling it.

Good news! Although I would have thought Samsung would just bang out the old firmware with a new version number to allow updating.

Maybe they will in time.
    Forum Member
    Can't contact them until tomorrow but already tried 2 factory resets and made no difference. Firmware version is still reading the same.

It would, if doing a factory reset magically reloaded the original firmware from 'somewhere' it wouldn't be much use doing updates :D

All it does is set all the settings back to the factory defaults.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Some devices let you do a reset restoring an original base firnware from a copy hard-coded into it. Worth checking for that option so you can then update to the currently available latest version.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Some devices let you do a reset restoring an original base firnware from a copy hard-coded into it. Worth checking for that option so you can then update to the currently available latest version.

That would be EXTREMELY rare - and makes the set more expensive (by adding extra un-needed memory).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got home after a replacement and after going through the initial setup it's still got the new faulty firmware on it. Rang Samsung who said that it was impossible for the firmware to be already.loaded on a tv that's been stuck in a shop storeroom for weeks. He said the only thing he could think of was that the tv was automatically downloading the firmware over the air or via the Wi-Fi as it was setting itself up. So Now I'm back at Currys with the manager trying out another tv and seeing if we can bypass the initial setup process and get into the menu and turn off automatic updates before it has chance to download the new firmware. What a pain!
    Forum Member
    Just got home after a replacement and after going through the initial setup it's still got the new faulty firmware on it. Rang Samsung who said that it was impossible for the firmware to be already.loaded on a tv that's been stuck in a shop storeroom for weeks. He said the only thing he could think of was that the tv was automatically downloading the firmware over the air or via the Wi-Fi as it was setting itself up. So Now I'm back at Currys with the manager trying out another tv and seeing if we can bypass the initial setup process and get into the menu and turn off automatic updates before it has chance to download the new firmware. What a pain!

Well it won't be doing it off air, as I mentioned above there are currently no Samsung OTA's scheduled. Even assuming there was one, it can't download it unless you plug an aerial in and then tune it in.

And assuming you've got your WiFi password protected it can't connect via that either, until you select your WiFi and enter the password (or press the WPS button).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it won't be doing it off air, as I mentioned above there are currently no Samsung OTA's scheduled. Even assuming there was one, it can't download it unless you plug an aerial in and then tune it in.

And assuming you've got your WiFi password protected it can't connect via that either, until you select your WiFi and enter the password (or press the WPS button).

After trying out another in the shop and setting it up with aerial unplugged we came to the conclusion that all models are now being shipped with the faulty 1111.1 firmware version. They rang Samsung who offered to send it back for a repair but I couldn't see the point when they the only firmware version available is faulty. I had the chance of a full refund so seized it. If I mess about too long I'm gonna be out of time for a full refund.
    Forum Member
    After trying out another in the shop and setting it up with aerial unplugged we came to the conclusion that all models are now being shipped with the faulty 1111.1 firmware version. They rang Samsung who offered to send it back for a repair but I couldn't see the point when they the only firmware version available is faulty. I had the chance of a full refund so seized it. If I mess about too long I'm gonna be out of time for a full refund.

Sounds like your best option.