Withheld Number..

Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
Forum Member
✭✭
Someone called me today on a withheld number and I kinda wanted to pick up but I just let it ring, It really annoys me when people do this >:( Does anyone answer withheld numbers or just let it ring?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My line does not accept calls from withheld numbers. They can't even leave a message.

So no. We do not answer them!
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I let it ring on my mobile nowadays as its usually automated ppi guff :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My line does not accept calls from withheld numbers. They can't even leave a message.

So no. We do not answer them!

Is that a landline? Like the OP, I am really irritated by withheld number calls and I never answer them. I recently looked into getting them blocked but read that it isn't possible on a mobile.
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I usually let it ring and see if they leave a message-if they don't then I decide it is a sales call or survey
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that a landline? Like the OP, I am really irritated by withheld number calls and I never answer them. I recently looked into getting them blocked but read that it isn't possible on a mobile.

Yeah Im wondering if its a landline too, The calls I get are on my mobile aswell.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I never answer withheld numbers.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I frequently don't answer my phone if it's a withheld number. This is the beauty of caller ID.
  • .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never answer those...if someone does not want you to know who is ringing ...you do not need to speak to them!!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Someone called me today on a withheld number and I kinda wanted to pick up but I just let it ring, It really annoys me when people do this >:( Does anyone answer withheld numbers or just let it ring?

Some genuine public organisations haven't set up their switches properly, so calls come through as withheld/private caller.

Most of the time I don't answer.
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't answer them!
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I don't answer either.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that those who don't answer are the same type of person who doesn't open the front door when someone knocks on or rings the bell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    I frequently don't answer my phone if it's a withheld number. This is the beauty of caller ID.

Same as TBH.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that those who don't answer are the same type of person who doesn't open the front door when someone knocks on or rings the bell.

Not if I look through the window and see someone holding a clipboard, or even worse a bible... I don't.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't answer withheld, International, mobile numbers I don't recognise or 08.... numbers.
    The only problem with the international is I have a relative abroad, but have an idea of the time that they ring.
    Random internet things latching on to my landline have a lot to answer for.

It was funny when I used to be bothered answering and got a foreign call centre with someone claiming to have an English name.
    Or the other trick were they asked if a Mr/Mrs ...... lives there, expecting me to correct them by giving my surname out.
    Just say no and put the phone down.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

One can generally see who is at the front door. One can't see who is on the other end of a withheld number.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never bothered answering withheld numbers, but I generally used to answer calls from numbers I didn't have saved. Recently, however, I've had to stop answering numerous calls from "0161" numbers as well as an array of other numbers. I get such calls at least three times a week, and it's been going on since December. They keep asking for "Katie" (whom I've never met).

The last time I picked up a call, on Wednesday, I told the guy at the other end, in my masculine voice, that I wasn't Katie. The cheeky git then asked me "are you sure you're not Katie?"

So now I probably won't be answering calls from any number I don't recognise.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    You all need to bear in mind that many organisations, in particular hospitals, have caller-ID permanently blocked, and also don't leave any messages on answer-phones.

But I also don't (or at least didn't) answer calls with blocked ID - unless I'm expecting a hospital call or similar. Doesn't apply now, as I haven't had any such calls for a considerable time - since moving to a Voip phone.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a machine on my line that rejects them without me even hearing the phone ring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I have a machine on my line that rejects them without me even hearing the phone ring.

Same!
  • gkmacgkmac Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    You all need to bear in mind that many organisations, in particular hospitals, have caller-ID permanently blocked, and also don't leave any messages on answer-phones.
    I guess a call from a hospital would be for a very important reason. So I really do question why hospitals need to withhold caller ID, or not leave a message.
  • KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member

My work place work phone no is with held, so maybe it could be something like work, so it does cause problems, if you don't want to answer withheld numbers, what do you do, if its your work place
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member

Is there anything wrong with choosing whether to answer your phone or door? Not in my book, no.

Having the freedom to pick and choose as I see fit, is not a bad thing. There's only so many times I can tell people I don't want to buy their crappy tea towels or that I have zero interest in listening to their bland monotone voice 'selling me' their insipid political stance whilst wasting 10 minutes of my time.

It's more a 'saving minutes of my life' kinda choice than any fear of who might be knock knocking at my door.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmac wrote: »
    I guess a call from a hospital would be for a very important reason. So I really do question why hospitals need to withhold caller ID, or not leave a message.
    The likely reason for withholding the numbers is that they have a whole range of numbers for individual departments and they don't want the public calling them and only to use the published numbers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kosciusko wrote: »
    My work place work phone no is with held, so maybe it could be something like work, so it does cause problems, if you don't want to answer withheld numbers, what do you do, if its your work place

Well I highly doubt it would be their workplace otherwise they'd be aware of the possibility. Also I see no reason why they'd call on a Sunday, from a withheld number (for the majority of people)