Options

People that say 'Oh I dont have time for that'

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    It is. Besides, shouldn't the OP stop wasting time on here and drop and give me 20?

He probably doesn't have time for that :D
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People that say 'oh I dont have time for that' are simply liars....

If you say something like that your only telling lies to yourself.

Cant be bothered to visit the gym for a work out? but you manage to watch 5 hours of tv a night.

This isnt just about the gym, it can be about anything learning a new hobby or never getting around to doing chores etc.

a few quotes I like are...

We all have the same 24 hours in the day.

You either run the day, or the day runs you.

But we don't, do we?

We both HAVE 24 hours in the day, but they aren't made up the same way.

Unless, like me, you have 5 children, a job and a partner serving 300 miles from home in the forces, (and you have just finished studying for a degree) then you can't say "we all have the same 24 hours in the day".

So, I find it quite offensive that someone might suggest I can't find time to go to the gym or take up a new hobby because I haven't organised my day sufficiently to free up a couple of hours. I'd like to see you try it!!
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devils Advocate mode... :)
    It is so easy for people with no ties and responsibilities to say such things!
    I have had the year from hell. I have a pratt of a boss, My wife is ill, we have had at least 100 health appointments between us at 8 diferent locations. I work a 9 hour day. I really struggle to find daylight hours to sort the garden, fences gutters, cars. I have had to go shopping at 7am before work, work a 7:12,drop paperwork into the hospital , then drive to london for a scan, then drive to 250 miles to Wales for a christening.

I cant find enough time to drop in on the father in law (77) or our friends as much as I would like. I do go swimming once a week at 9-10pm but I have missed about 10 weeks this year due to health and being away.

Some nights I get home and need to sleep or sit with my eyes closed. then I cook tea, before I know it its 10:00 and time for meds and bed.. then 5:55 alarm goes off. I dont need to pound the tread mill.

Maybe you arent working hard enough! Maybe you arn't pulling your weight in your family? and your older neighbours?

Maybe I need to retire, I dont have enough physical time, energy, mental energy to do what I am doing, let alone visit the gym 3 times a week...
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Going to the gym is like DS:GD, much effort expended, you get hot and bothered but at the end you've gone nowhere. :D

I don't have time for the gym because it's a waste of my time. Do you drive to the gym in a car? You might as well walk somewhere. Can you hear yourself THINK at the gym?

This thread is another example of the latest DS fad, self righteous moral tautologies.

IF the gym is a priority, yes you have time and should make time, but if it isn't, being told "no excuses" is just someone wrapped up in themselves.
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I don't have time for threads like this.

i haven't got time to read comments on threads like these lol
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You either run the day, or the day runs you.

I definitely don't have the time for the sort of platitudes that you hear on management training courses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I definitely don't have the time for the sort of platitudes that you hear on management training courses.
    Too right. Hate that kind of crap.
  • Options
    36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Punkchick wrote: »
    I'd love you to tell me how I could squeeze anymore out of my day, as I only get 5-6 hours sleep a night. I work mon-fri leaving at 7am returning 8pm. I run 50-85 miles a week, I go to the gym 3 nights a week for cross training, I snowboard 2-3 times a week, I go to gigs at the weekend after intense Marathon training. All of this and I have to try and find time for my husband. I imagine I probably do far more than you. Everyone has different responsibilities in life, I don't know anyone who does or would be happy with the amount I do in a week, but it makes me happy.

Sounds to me like your LIVING and spending your free time wisely investing in your health, I salute that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    How do you know that peoples idea of fun or how they want to spend their time is not by unwinding in front of the tv after a long day at work. I am up at 4.30am as I am on 6am- 4pm shifts until next thursday, after I finish work and drive half an hour to get home all I want to do is have a shower, get into lounging clothes and chill out for a few hours. I work shifts all the time earlys/lates and nights so every week is a different amount of time I get to spend on myself. I would rather spend it on doing something I enjoy whatever that may be.

Thats fine if your happy living like that, im not gonna judge you for it.

My issue is with people who claim they dont have time for this or that etc.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people need more time to relax than others. I like a good 3 hours at night of not doing anything so I can recharge for next day. That is a priority for me so yes I won't have time to go to the cinema tonight because I'll be doing something more important ie nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Some people need more time to relax than others. I like a good 3 hours at night of not doing anything so I can recharge for next day. That is a priority for me so yes I won't have time to go to the cinema tonight because I'll be doing something more important ie nothing

thats incorrect, you do have time.
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people think sitting in front of the TV and doing nothing for a couple of hours is a priority because without it they would go mad and/or burn out. Not everyone wants to work 9 hours, clean their house, run errands, squeeze in family commitments, and then at 9pm think, "I have two hours before bed -- what other exhausting activity can I manage now rather than relax?"

Quit judging. Ugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, the time is taken up by relaxing. Therefore the time no longer exists for other use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do find your current attitude on here irritating OP. Are you like this in real life?

If so, I suspect people might be telling you they don't have time to go out with you because they are avoiding you. I know I would :p:D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find your current attitude on here irritating OP. Are you like this in real life?

If so, I suspect people might be telling you they don't have time to go out with you because they are avoiding you. I know I would :p:D:p

seems abit of a cheap shot lol.

im very happy with my social life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    modeyink wrote: »
    No, the time is taken up by relaxing. Therefore the time no longer exists for other use.

thats fine if your happy, each to their own. the time did exist it was just spent another way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats fine if your happy, each to their own. the time did exist it was just spent another way.

Right, which means the time is not available. So the person who posted it isn't lying -- s/he genuinely doesn't have the time.

Why are you finding this so difficult to grasp?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    modeyink wrote: »
    Right, which means the time is not available. So the person who posted it isn't lying -- s/he genuinely doesn't have the time.

Why are you finding this so difficult to grasp?

you dont dont get it.

how can someone say you didnt have time to go to the cinema? when you had 3 spare hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I do, time for relaxing, but not time for going out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you dont dont get it.

how can someone say you didnt have time to go to the cinema? when you had 3 spare hours.

They're not spare! They've been allocated to a different activity -- relaxing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you dont dont get it.

They aren't spare. They are pre booked for relaxation.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    I never say "I don't have time for ...". I always say "I can't be arsed ..."

For instance - I can't be arsed with preachy, boring people critcising me for sitting in front of the TV all night.

Me too.

I have friends who think that I should be doing stuff like hill walking when I have health problems which make that very difficult. I have a dog and walk him (with my bf, who also has one)...dog is exercise enough for me, not to mention housework and shit.

I get annoyed when other people try to impose upon ME what they think I should be doing, based on their own way of life. I don't interfere in their hobbies/ interests/ work ethic. They can stay well out of mine. Thankfully, I'm strong willed so don't get easily guilt-tripped but, again, it is annoying and, after years of being a people pleaser, I'm happy to declare "I really can't be arsed!" One good thing about getting older, IMO, is that I don't care less about other people but I do their expectations.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, I don't have time for politicians or religion. Does that make me a liar?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you say something like that your only telling lies to yourself.

Why are they liars. Maybe they simply don't. Try going to the gym when you're a single parent of three kids with a full-time job and home to run. They have every right to veg out in front of the telly for the last couple of hours of the day.

We're not all little clockwork bunnies and work time/ leisure time is different for different people.

People might prioritize 'less healthy' options for their lifestyles but it doesn't make them liars.

Even so, we all deceive ourselves in one way or another. It's called being human and it helps us to cope.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm retired and do absolutely nothing for a good part of the time. I still don't have time for some things, though, because my time is taken up with doing nothing. I'd like to be unhappy, but I never do have the time, as someone once said.

I hope the OP isn't having apoplexy contemplating my lifestyle.;):D