Do you think beating up an intruder bothers them

36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
Forum Member
✭✭
So a guy breaks into your home and you catch him red handed, and you beat him up....

Do you think that beating would put that career criminal off his trade? or do you think he would say arghh well comes with the terrority and the very next day he would be robbing again?

Do they learn after recieving a beating 28 votes

Yes, its reminder for them to never do it again
14% 4 votes
No, just part and parcel of his trade, he will rob again
85% 24 votes

Comments

• Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would probably depend on how desperate he was. It could also make him think that next time he should take a knife or other weapon with him.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Dan says.

I didn't reply to the poll, as the subject is too nuanced for that kind of black and white choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    aah, the old loaded question - however you answer you are saying it's ok to beat up a burglar, no matter what the circumstances
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not, what would bother them would be tattooing " Thieving Scumbag " on their foreheads and hobbling their ankles like in the film Misery.

I am told these are medieval and degrading punishments .
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    So a guy breaks into your home and you catch him red handed, and you beat him up....

Do you think that beating would put that career criminal off his trade? or do you think he would say arghh well comes with the terrority and the very next day he would be robbing again?

I wouldn't give a toss either way.

If I ever found myself compelled to use violence it would be for the sole purpose of self-defence.

Anybody who's administering beatings for the purposes of "teaching somebody a lesson" is probably doing something wrong, IMO.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,494
    Forum Member

He certainly wouldn't be robbing again 'the next day' :D

Perhaps he might when his injuries had healed - after a few months.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,494
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If I ever found myself compelled to use violence it would be for the sole purpose of self-defence.

If you had any effective self defense training you'd treat an intruder as a VERY SERIOUS threat, and remove the threat as promptly and efficiently as possible. The reflexes created from the training should make that process automatic (it's what training is for).
    Forum Member
    If you had any effective self defense training you'd treat an intruder as a VERY SERIOUS threat, and remove the threat as promptly and efficiently as possible. The reflexes created from the training should make that process automatic (it's what training is for).

Erm, thanks for clarifying that.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not if they are well kinky ;)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    My Dad used to mug people (probably still does) and one time he tried it on with a pro boxer and got a beating but as soon as he was healed up enough he did it gain
    Forum Member
    My Dad used to mug people (probably still does) and one time he tried it on with a pro boxer and got a beating but as soon as he was healed up enough he did it gain

I bet the boxer was surprised to see him again.:p
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I bet the boxer was surprised to see him again.:p

TBH he did bump into him again but nothing happened that time.

Only problem I had is I think the boxer should have hit him harder I even told the boxer that
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on the individual. If he is a hardened criminal, then no, but if he is a minor member of a criminal gang, or somebody who is burgling out of desperation and not looking for a fight, he may be put off.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I walked in on a burglar nowadays, I would get out of the house as quick as possible and call the police.
    I can understand someone wanting to attack them, as that was my reaction years ago when I came home and found the door hanging from it's hinges and heard voices inside. Fortunately rational thought kicked in and I realised there was at least two of them and that they would have both tools and my kitchen knives as weapons, whereas I had none! I ran to a neighbours and rang the police from there, keeping an eye on the exit from the flats where I lived. A couple of guys ran out and I recognised one of them (it turned out he was on day-release from prison) The other was a huge guy who kept his face hidden. If I had let emotions get the better of me I would have almost certainly have been battered or worse by these blokes. I was in my physical prime at the time and and doing Thai boxing three times a week, but I don't fool myself that I would have come out on top of a confrontation with two armed criminals! Think before wading in would be my advice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the individual. Regardless I don't think many people would go out of their way to physically attack an intruder unless they were compelled to.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'He'?? Why not just say 'they'? It's like in my old school and college letters, 'would your son/daughter..... he/she' just waste of time!