Options

Organised demonstrations/marches to support those affected by the bedroom tax?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even so where would you save money?

I accept that the uk government need to make serious cuts. This is a once-in-a century crisis. I will support the difficult decisions that will be taken by the next government.

But these Tories have no credibility. Not only have they no understanding of the impact of their actions.
    Have a guess what they did this morning.....

They gave Wayne Rooney a tax cut of £12,349......

That is his tax cut per week......

All in this together? Perhaps they had the next wave of riots in mind?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I accept that the uk government need to make serious cuts. This is a once-in-a century crisis. I will support the difficult decisions that will be taken by the next government.

But these Tories have no credibility. Not only have they no understanding of the impact of their actions.

Which he'll spend in the economy again.

Look at whats happened in france. Raising tax for rich people drives them away and damages the economy. We need rich people to spend money for it to filter through and create jobs.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    A single tax rate across the board would help, that way no one would bother looking for loopholes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which he'll spend in the economy again.

Look at whats happened in france. Raising tax for rich people drives them away and damages the economy. We need rich people to spend money for it to filter through and create jobs.

Give it a rich person and they are more likely to hoard it away, give it to many poor people and they will put every penny back into the system. Your argument makes little sense.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member

... and he still pays a rate higher than all but a few days of New Labour's tenure.

Labour cut the rate as an act of political spite rather than for sound economic reasons.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »

Labour cut the rate as an act of political spite rather than for sound economic reasons.

Of course they did!
    But that is of no relevance today. The uk should have reasonable taxation - up to 40% - under either government.
    But not during a once-in-a-century financial crisis. :mad:
    A successfull businessman with a 50 year career may be unlucky enough to pay higher taxes if his life coincides with such a crisis. And it might take 8 years for the public finances to be brought back under control.
    But for the other 42 years of his working life he will be enjoying moderate uk tax rates.
    If he insists on leaving the uk only for the duration of the financial crisis then not only will I happily drive him to the airport. I will give my farewell with a very short but on topic message.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Of course they did!
    But that is of no relevance today. The uk should have reasonable taxation - up to 40% - under either government.
    But not during a once-in-a-century financial crisis. :mad:
    [/I]

But there's no evidence that higher upper tax rates generate better yields for the government. Hollande in France thought it was that simple and is heading for disaster.

It was a nasty and immature act by Labour. I did rather admire Osborne for having the balls to stick two fingers up at Labour; however, it was politically an unwise thing to do as it proved the stupid 'all in it together' rhetoric was just empty sloganeering.

I'm not convinced that we are in a 'once in a century' crisis. I think we're experiencing a re-balancing as Europe has lived beyond its means for many years and the new growth is in the east.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    The Counihan Sanchez housing campaign are holding a protest No to the Bedroom Tax on Sat 6th April at 1pm in Whitehall opposite Downing Street.