Options

Cleaning the dishwasher

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
I normally pack the dishwasher quite full (but not overly full or cramming stuff in) and put it on a 50c wash.

Lately sometimes a few items come out not washed properly, so they have to go back into the next wash. This is annoying.

I have put some dishwasher salt in the salt place (I haven't done this in ages as I simply forgot about it) and now I have it running empty with http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Finish-Dishwasher-Cleaner-Lemon/72498011?sku=72498011&dnr=y inside in order to clean it. This is the first time I am doing this.

So hopefully it works like a dream next time...

How do you keep your dishwasher clean? Which products do you use? Which dishwasher tablets do you use? And which temperature do you use yours on? Mine goes up to 65c, should I be using that instead, will it help stuff get cleaner?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the water moving freely around the machine ? if the holes in the paddle (not sure the correct term) are blocked in any way you will find areas don't quite get enough water.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyday I give the filter a rinse, keep it topped up with rinse aid and salt, and every so often use dishwasher cleaner. Normally use Finish 3in1, but Co-Op had an offer on for Persil 3in1. Just use the Daily Wash function, think it's 60. :)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rinse aid and salt it regularly, pull out the filters once a week and run a cleaning cycle once a month! Still get the occasional problem but normally only when its due a clean!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use dishwasher cleaner like the one you linked to (usually supermarket own brand though unless finish is on offer) about once a month. In between times I rinse the filter out and give the spray arms a clean if then need it.

I don't use salt as I use an all in one tablet (as per manual instructions for my dishwasher).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Thanks. You have just reminded me I haven't turned mine on yet. Might as well have a cup of tea while I am downstairs too.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often rinse the plates before I put them in. I use an all-in-one tablet so I don't need to add salt. I also make sure the filter basket is clean. I periodically wash it out in detergent. The only time stuff comes out dirty is if I have put something in that's stopped the arms spinning round properly. I have used those dishwasher cleaning tablets in the past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Finish d/w cleaner when it's on offer (supermarket own brand otherwise) once a month and clean out the filter and any other washable parts in a v hot soapy water. Ours is in daily use and always the hottest wash. I buy all in one tablets but not lemon as they can make certain things go rusty. I buy Finish tablets but always from somewhere like Home and Bargins as at least half the price as supermarket charges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took out the removable parts from the filter and gave it a clean. Good advice, thanks!

I didn't realise that '3-in-1' tablets omitted the need for separate salt (I guess I wasn't using my brain there). Just looking at my tablets they look as if they are 3-in-1...they don't say it but each tab has three differently coloured parts...and my Finish ones have visible salty-looking stuff.

I was using Fairy Platinum, but on my last shop I decided to buy Finish ('quantum powerball'), as Finish are the kings of dishwasher cleaning stuff, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy whatever is on offer when I need it. Which most of the time is Finish. Never thought of looking in a home bargain type place. We have a B&M homestore which I go in regularly, they probably have them cheaper. Will look next time I go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Is the water moving freely around the machine ? if the holes in the paddle (not sure the correct term) are blocked in any way you will find areas don't quite get enough water.
    Checked paddle holes, none blocked, thanks for the suggestion though.

From reading the thread it seems there are many different things to check inside the machine, so it's very useful to keep it all running (and washing) smoothly.

All very useful advice here (thanks everyone). If anyone has more suggestions suggestions, please keep them coming.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really need to clean the filter - had the thing a year and havent cleaned it yet :o

Think I should be adding salt also. God I'm rubbish!!
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I often rinse the plates before I put them in.

I put the machine on a rinse cycle 2-4 hours before doing the wash cycle. Since doing this I've gone from regularly having dirty dishes etc to them being extremely rare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely rinse plates before putting them in the DW can never be bothered. Rarely have a problem unless, as someone else said I load the dishwasher in a way as to stop one of the the arms rotating.

I wash oven trays in the dishwasher and will give them a quick rinse if they are very dirty/greasy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Whoever would have believed it, a Dishwasher thread on ds! :D:D
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also wipe round the edge of the doors regularly because they get filthy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salt - always fill when alerted.
    Rinse Aid - always fill when alerted.
    Fairy Platinum Dishwasher Tablets.
    Use varying cycles so they all get a go. 70 degree wash for pans / oven racks, that kind of thing. Extra dry cycle etc.
    Clean the seals and filter once a week.
    Proprietary cleaner twice a year.
    Smell free and sparkling dishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I also wipe round the edge of the doors regularly because they get filthy.
    Yep, noticed that very recently on mine, gave it a nice clean
    Salt - always fill when alerted.
    Rinse Aid - always fill when alerted.
    Fairy Platinum Dishwasher Tablets.
    Use varying cycles so they all get a go. 70 degree wash for pans / oven racks, that kind of thing. Extra dry cycle etc.
    Clean the seals and filter once a week.
    Proprietary cleaner twice a year.
    Smell free and sparkling dishes.
    You are lucky to have a machine that alerts you to do things!
    I will look up this 'rinse aid' thing, I am not sure exactly what that is...though I don't know if i even have a compartment for that anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home & Bargins and B&M type shops are brilliant for all sorts of things. My rather posh friend turns her nose up at these shops but they have so many good buys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Home & Bargins and B&M type shops are brilliant for all sorts of things. My rather posh friend turns her nose up at these shops but they have so many good buys.

I've never even heard of these shops! Are they down south?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seem to be all over the place. Aberdeen to Devon and many places in between.
  • Options
    nitramsenojnitramsenoj Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Just checked the wording on Finish Quantum.

It suggests if you live in a hard water area (as I do) to always use dishwasher salt as well as the tablets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked the wording on Finish Quantum.

It suggests if you live in a hard water area (as I do) to always use dishwasher salt as well as the tablets.
    Yeah, I noticed that earlier today. And on the Finish salt packet it shows several weird and wonderful things to buy in the world of dishwashing - that's how I found out about the cleaning liquid to run on the empty cycle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    I use Finish d/w cleaner when it's on offer (supermarket own brand otherwise) once a month and clean out the filter and any other washable parts in a v hot soapy water. Ours is in daily use and always the hottest wash. I buy all in one tablets but not lemon as they can make certain things go rusty. I buy Finish tablets but always from somewhere like Home and Bargins as at least half the price as supermarket charges.
    I always buy DW tabs when they are supposedly 'on offer' at Tesco for around £6 or £7 a pack (of around 30 I think...possibly 50).

I picked up 30 Finish tabs for £7 a couple of days ago, advertised as 'half price'. Half price my ass, I refuse to believe that anyone was paying £14 for them before! But that's another thread I guess :D
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For just a general once a day, machine load - nothing too old, or caked on, I find that just a 35 min. glass wash works just as efficiently as some cycles that chug on for a couple of hours. So saving energy and I also discovered my thrifty husband was snapping the dishwasher tablets in half (the flat ones) and have to say, as long as salt and rinse aid are topped up, the dishes are still absolutely spotless - so they go twice as far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having a nightmare with my dishwasher recently as about 2 out of every 3 washes, the spinning arm that washes the upper rack keeps coming off so the stuff in the top doesn't get cleaned properly.