Poldark

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was addicted to this prog the first time round having also read the book. Nobody will be able to compare with Robin Ellis .... Nobody!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Is this the third try at Poldark? As one member said whatever happened to ORIGINAL drama?

Heck for spoilers for the first few years just dig out the old VHS of the original.

And I do agree you will have to go a long way to beat the original Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees.

Ross is going to be too pretty and Demelza will look like some photo fit tv hotty. Not blaming the actors, just tv has some very weird ideas these data IMHO.

I have the DVDs.

Demelza becomes prettier and wiser, the more she becomes part of being Mistress of Nampara.

I wonder if the new Ross has a scar and a limp?
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with a lot of posters that the Ross actor looks good (maybe too handsome and not rugged enough, though?) but am not too sure about Demelza mark 2 - a bit insipid, maybe??

Also think - if the original was that good (and it was) - why mess with perfection??

They're not messing with the original. This is a new version!!
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I was addicted to this prog the first time round having also read the book. Nobody will be able to compare with Robin Ellis .... Nobody!

I have just read that he is going to be in the new version, playing Dr Halse, the chergyman Ross shares the coach with on his way to Nampara...
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Location filming took place today at Corsham - standing in for Truro. There is a twitter account here:
    Dorina335,

with pictures and tweets throughout the day. Includes many shots of Ross/Aidan Turner, and several with Demelza/Eleanor Tomlinson and Elizabeth/Heida Reed.

I've just found out elsewhere that Ross's cousin Francis Poldark is being played by Kyle Soller (unknown to me), uncle Charles Poldark is Warren Clarke, and Jud and Prudie are Phil Davis and Beatie Edney.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dug out this thread to say that there is a preview screening of the first episode at the BFI on Monday 23rd February, followed by a Q&A session with writer Debbie Horsfield, actors Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson, and director Ed Bazalgette.

BFI page here:

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=3863A4D5-30BD-4BFE-8DAC-F3961A6D5B97&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=236CB5DE-69C5-43A2-90CA-43320457D6D9

At the time of posting there were 13 seats left, if anyone was interested and able to get to the South Bank for 8.15pm on a Monday evening. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC official trailer here:

Poldark: Trailer

Also available on the BBC One channel on the YouTube, but lower quality.

Lots of the characters to be seen, even if not speaking like the Warleggan father and son, and Jud. I think that's Francis Poldark at the beginning ("Ross Poldark is alive"), but the actor is quite similar to another cast member (Dr Enys).

I hope the music is for trailer purposes only, as it sounds just like Peaky Blinders.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Is this the third try at Poldark? As one member said whatever happened to ORIGINAL drama?

Heck for spoilers for the first few years just dig out the old VHS of the original.

And I do agree you will have to go a long way to beat the original Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees.

Ross is going to be too pretty and Demelza will look like some photo fit tv hotty. Not blaming the actors, just tv has some very weird ideas these data IMHO.
    No, this is not the third try at Poldark.

The BBC tried the first seven books in 1975-77, but didn't stick to the novels. For instance Demelza did not offer herself to Ross for money and Trenwith didn't burn down with Eizabeth and Warleggan fleeing for their safety so much that Winston Graham refused to allow them to continue and make series 2 unless they stuck to the novels as he wrote them.

In 1996 ITV attempted book 8 "The Stranger fom the Sea" but made a complete hash of it by rejecting Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees and miscasting John Bowe as Ross and Mel Martin as Demelza. Both fine actors, but totally unsuited to those rolls.

There are twelve books in the series and I doubt the BBC will cover the whole series, although that would be great. More likely they will only cover a couple as there appear to be only 8 parts, at least to start with, where the original was over 20.

If they stick to the stories as written then it will definitely be original drama because it will be nothing like the series done previously, which as great if you could forget the books.

I have all of the DVDs, including the rubbish ITV one and all the books, one of which is signed to Clive Fancis (who played Francis Poldark and bought from him) by Winston Graham.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm - all looks a bit shiny and modern to me - also whats with the lack of accents - did Jamaica Inn put them off that !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straight from the horse's mouth (BFI preview screening yesterday):

Poldark starts Sunday 8th March, after Call the Midwife

I really enjoyed seeing the first episode on the big screen - very cinematic. There was also a long preview for what is yet to come in the series. Several of the cast and crew were in the audience, in addition to those involved in the following Q&A session (hosted by Emma Kennedy). The screening was dedicated to the late Warren Clarke, whose last work this was.

**Very mild spoilers below**

As suspected from the trailers, the action starts in America, then moves to England two years later.

The characters are wonderful with great chemistry, and along with the drama there is a good deal of humour. Jud and Prudie are scene-stealers: "Tedn't good, tedn't right, tedn't proper, tedn't friendly!" We don't see much romance in the first episode, but some pining/brooding and tension. Rev Halsey (Robin Ellis) and Dr Enys haven't been introduced to the story yet. Demelza hasn't worn a dress yet!
    lindenlea wrote: »
    Lots of the characters to be seen, even if not speaking - like the Warleggan father and son, and Jud. I think that's Francis Poldark at the beginning ("Ross Poldark is alive
    I got a couple of things wrong … George Warleggan says "Ross Poldark is alive" and the older Warleggan (played by Pip Torrens) is his uncle, not father.
    I hope the music is for trailer purposes only, as it sounds just like Peaky Blinders.
    The music for the series is gorgeous - not the same as the trailer music at all. The sound is also good and there shouldn't be any difficulties hearing dialogue - if there are, it isn't due to the actors, who all speak clearly.
  • Andy_InwoodAndy_Inwood Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Robin Ellis is going have a cameo role in the new series. Nice touch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robin Ellis is going have a cameo role in the new series. Nice touch.

Yes, Ed Bazalgette (director of the first four episodes) said that Robin Ellis had got in touch with the production company early on to offer his best wishes, and they then hoped that he would accept a part. In the programme notes handed out yesterday RE is quoted: " … I was thrilled at the idea of coming back to play a small part in this. Reverend Halse is a nasty piece of work, part of the establishment, and one of the gentry that Ross despises. It was a totally new experience to play this sort of character and one I relished." The executive producer says, "He has a key role in two episodes."

There's a behind-the-scenes picture of Aidan and Robin around somewhere.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the DVDs.

Demelza becomes prettier and wiser, the more she becomes part of being Mistress of Nampara.

I wonder if the new Ross has a scar and a limp?

I too have all the DVD's and have read all the 12 books in sequence, and watched the original showing of it on television - am an avid fan. I hope the new Ross does have a scar although I don't remember one from the trailer. I see they have made Demelza a redhead again, but in the book she was actually dark and celtic looking. Robin Ellis wrote a book after the series finished, and I am lucky to have a copy. There is another interesting book about the making of Poldark, which tells how WG came to choose his character's names, and how he came by the names of places people lived in and came from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too have all the DVD's and have read all the 12 books in sequence, and watched the original showing of it on television - am an avid fan. I hope the new Ross does have a scar although I don't remember one from the trailer. I see they have made Demelza a redhead again, but in the book she was actually dark and celtic looking. Robin Ellis wrote a book after the series finished, and I am lucky to have a copy. There is another interesting book about the making of Poldark, which tells how WG came to choose his character's names, and how he came by the names of places people lived in and came from.

Yes, Ross definitely has a scar, and we see him acquire the injury. This Demelza is red-haired like the seventies adaptation, but tall like the book description.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting excited about this now!

Might be time to dust off the books for a re-read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lindenlea wrote: »
    Yes, Ross definitely has a scar, and we see him acquire the injury. This Demelza is red-haired like the seventies adaptation, but tall like the book description.

Thanks for that. In those books I mentioned in my last post, it said that whilst WG was delighted with the choice of Robin Ellis for Poldark, he was initially disappointed in Angharad Rees because she was so different to how he'd portrayed Demelza as far as looks went. But he overcame his initial doubts and loved how Rees made the part so perfect.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aidan Turner is stupidly gorgeous. I've never seen the original but I'll be avidly watching this just to gaze in awe at his perfect face.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Aidan Turner is stupidly gorgeous. I've never seen the original but I'll be avidly watching this just to gaze in awe at his perfect face.

Same here!
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here!

The appreciation club starts right here. :D
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 8th of March. Good, I have been looking for an air date.:)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »

Aidan Turner looks nothing like Ross Poldark. But I'll forgive him for it. I'd forgive him anything for one of those smouldering looks.

The girl playing Demelza looks nothing like Demelza either, which annoys me a bit. Yes, I know it's double standards. ;-)

I've been in the Aidan-Turner-is-drop-down-dead-gorgeous club since his vampire days. And all through his Dwarf days. It will be nice to see him being human for real. :D

I can't wait for this programme. And Phil Davies as Jud Paynter! Bliss!
  • Mrs EyreMrs Eyre Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was drop dead gorgeous as Rosetti too, and as Hattie Jacques's bit of rough.

I'm a bit irritated by the idea that this is a "remake" of the 70s series. It isn't, it's a new adaptation of WG's work. We don't say that every production of Hamlet is a remake of earlier ones.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Agreed, it is a totally new production and not a remake. Perhaps they'll stick to the book(s) this time.

Don't know how far they'll get into the story as it's only 8 episodes. Hopefully they'll make more if it gets the viewers. They covered book 1 to 7 last time with ITV making a mess of book 8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they'll get anywhere near the last book, as it was set in 1820 I think, when Ross was 60 and Demelza 50. I don't think they'll even go as far ahead to when Jeremy and Clowance are grown up, never mind Henry and Bella.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Eyre wrote: »
    He was drop dead gorgeous as Rosetti too, and as Hattie Jacques's bit of rough.

He was perfect as Rosetti. I didn't know he was in the Hattie Jacques thing, or I'd have watched it. :(
    I don't think they'll get anywhere near the last book, as it was set in 1820 I think, when Ross was 60 and Demelza 50. I don't think they'll even go as far ahead to when Jeremy and Clowance are grown up, never mind Henry and Bella.

Does anyone know which books the first series is covering? Just the first, or will it carry on into "Demelza"?

(Looking forward to this has compensated me for "Outlander" not being on mainstream TV).