What retro game are you currently playing?

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Been playing a fair bit of Uridium 2 on Amiga through the Xbox and what a forgotten classic this game is! It has amazing visuals and music, but the gameplay is where it's at. Why there is not a Uridium 3 on XBLA beats me but I'd love to see it.

Been playing quite a lot of Wave Race 64 Shindou Edition on N64, the physics in this game are something else, no other game has given me that feeling of racing over choppy waves. Love it!
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    The Ooze on Mega Drive/Genesis. Awesome music in it.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Is Dreamcast known as retro yet?
    If so then pretty much most of today I've been playing Sega Rally 2 trying to progress through the 10 year championship.
    It took me ages to get through year 2 until I saw some car settings for the Peugeot 205 on YouTube about an hour ago and now I'm on year 4.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Pacman, Gorf and Tempest via MAME on the Dreamcast this evening, to name just three.

:) Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to complete Varth yesterday, probably one of the old time best vertical shooters. However, on a continue option I accidently pressed "No" to continue! Let's try again today!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White knight chronicles , it'd really good for a jprg like more than recent final fantasy
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly power up my GameBoy/NES/SNES/MegaDrive/N64 emulators and have a go at:-

Mario Bros 1 / 2 / 3 / LL / Kart / World / World 2 / 64
    Sonic 1 / 2 / 3 / & Knuckles
    Bomberman 2 / 3 / 5
    Earthworm Jim 1 / 2
    Donkey Kong Country 1 / 2 / 3
    Animaniacs
    Any Tiny Toon Adventures games
    Mega Man X / X2 / X3
    RoboCop vs. The Terminator
    Goof Troop
    Home Improvement
    The Blues Brothers

I can't think of the others off the top of my head, but a lot of titles, apart form the main staples like Mario / Sonic etc., are all obscure titles or games that were flops or just really stupid. They're the ones I love playing the most!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I gave Perfect Dark 64 a blast last night for the first time. Seems like my cup of tea. :)
    Forum Member
    connoredal wrote: »

I think I might go onto vice city straight after as I only finished about one third of that back in the day. and I've just bought a ps2 component cable to bring my ps2 into the future. :cool:

I didn't realise you could get component cables for the PS2. Do they make much of a difference? I had one for the Wii but the difference was, unsurprisingly, not all that phenomenal.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,704
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise you could get component cables for the PS2. Do they make much of a difference? I had one for the Wii but the difference was, unsurprisingly, not all that phenomenal.

I've got my PS2 hooked up via component. There isn't much difference tbh (from RGB). Some games use the feature but not many.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my Wii hooked up by component cables and the difference is quite noticible. The graphics look much smoother round the edges and the colours are more vivid. This may be a Wii thing rather than a PS 2 thing though.
    Forum Member
    I gave Perfect Dark 64 a blast last night for the first time. Seems like my cup of tea. :)

BEST. GAME. EVER! You playing it on N64? The XBLA version is amazing too.
    Forum Member
    Wash wrote: »
    I've got my PS2 hooked up via component. There isn't much difference tbh (from RGB). Some games use the feature but not many.

Thanks for clearing that up. I might give it a try if the price is right but I won't be in a rush to do so. :)
    BEST. GAME. EVER! You playing it on N64? The XBLA version is amazing too.

Yup, looks like the XBLA version is going to be my next purchase. What's the online multiplayer like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Component Cables are the only way to play on the PS2. Personally I see quite a lot of difference, but then again I play on a 50" Plasma. Everything is just that much smoother with component cables, and the games that support it make it even better (Capcom Collection with 60hz Progressive Scan looks stunning).

Forum Member
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Component Cables are the only way to play on the PS2. Personally I see quite a lot of difference, but then again I play on a 50" Plasma. Everything is just that much smoother with component cables, and the games that support it make it even better (Capcom Collection with 60hz Progressive Scan looks stunning).

I've played my PS2 with both component and (fully) RGB on a 37" and 26" LCD HDTV and the difference isn't all that much. A good RGB SCART lead will give a great picture and smoothness compared to a cheap and nasty one. And, as I mentioned there are a few games that utilise component.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've played my PS2 with both component and (fully) RGB on a 37" and 26" LCD HDTV and the difference isn't all that much. A good RGB SCART lead will give a great picture and smoothness compared to a cheap and nasty one. And, as I mentioned there are a few games that utilise component.

Yeah, but for around £7 or so for a component cable it's well worth it, as you know some games look better than others via RGB, yet they all look better with component on bigger screens.

Forum Member

That's because, by default, when a game isn't made for Component (which is a lot), then it defaults to RGB.

Only games that actually have a Progressive Scan option make use of the component connections to deliver better picture quality and the correct 60hz speed.

Just a sad thing that not many PS2 games ever did get around to using it, I mean, not even major titles like GTA and MGS bothered to use it.
    Forum Member
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Yeah, but for around £7 or so for a component cable it's well worth it, as you know some games look better than others via RGB, yet they all look better with component on bigger screens.

I wouldn't recommend buying a component cable if they already have a good RGB. It's simply not worth the £7 extra and what Ash says is true.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I don't even like Final Fantasy but I really enjoyed FF VIII. By far the best in the series imho.

Can't argue with that. I'm replaying VIII at the moment, just at the end of disc 3. First time I've made it this far since it first came out. Absolutely brilliant game, even now.

VIII always tends to get overlooked in favour of VII. Whilst VII is a brilliant game in its own right, it's not as good as VIII IMO.
    Forum Member
    I played some Streets of Rage 3 last night, made me realise how much I hate Streets of Rage 3 and prefer Bare Knuckle III instead.
    Forum Member
    Yup, looks like the XBLA version is going to be my next purchase. What's the online multiplayer like?

Perfect Dark in multiplayer is one of the best experiences you can have, loads of options and weapons/gadgets. It's really good, only one problem.... finding a game. It's a bit sad that there's not regular matches available online, it's the same deal with Quake Arcade but no-one even plays it. So if you get a match, you'll have a lot of fun.

As for this component vs RGB issue, it's worth pointing out that LCD and Plasma TV's only display a progressive image. Regardless of what you feed it with, everything is up-scaled to the TV's native resolution, so if you have decent TV then it should up-scale an RGB interlaced image well, hence there shouldn't be a great deal of difference between the two. PS2 does look good in component though, if it were hooked up to a CRT EDTV then the difference would be amazing. It's just the way different technology works. Though I think Plasma TV's generally handles lower resolutions better than LCD.
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    I played some Streets of Rage 3 last night, made me realise how much I hate Streets of Rage 3 and prefer Bare Knuckle III instead.

Why do you prefer the Japanese version? I know there was some censorship on some of the characters when it came out over here, but apart from that it;s not that much difference? unless it was a typo and you meant Bare Knuckle II of course.

My favourite of the series is SOR2, still play every now and then, though I do think SOR3 get's some unfair slating. It my not have such good music and it does feel different to play it's still a good beat 'em up I think.
    Forum Member
    Why do you prefer the Japanese version? I know there was some censorship on some of the characters when it came out over here, but apart from that it;s not that much difference? unless it was a typo and you meant Bare Knuckle II of course.

My favourite of the series is SOR2, still play every now and then, though I do think SOR3 get's some unfair slating. It my not have such good music and it does feel different to play it's still a good beat 'em up I think.

I did mean to put Bare Knuckle III, it's just those changes for no reason, making the enemies stronger, cutting boss fights here and there in fear of offending, putting more clothes on the female characters, etc, just feels like they tried to water down the game for the US audience. Plus the costume changes make no sense, why does Axel wear Blue Jeans and a white top in every other game, yet in the US version of SOR3 he wears black pants and a yellow top??

Going from SOR 1 and 2 into Bare Knuckle III feels more, well, natural, SOR 3 just had too many changes for no reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I don't even like Final Fantasy but I really enjoyed FF VIII. By far the best in the series imho.

Been playing some Wizball (C64) and Switchblade II (Amiga). Very good games, has to be said :)

Funny you should mention Wizball - I've found Wizkid amongst my Amiga 500 stuff, complete mindf*ck of a game, must be said, great stuff though!

Also looking through I can see some games I used to love when I was a kid, the original Grand Prix game, Sensible Soccer (before they ruined it with the god awful attempt at a 3D version) and even a bizarre homemade thing called Larn, where the hero is a green rectangle... not sure why... not sure why I like it either!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend buying a component cable if they already have a good RGB. It's simply not worth the £7 extra and what Ash says is true.

Well! Dang-me! I found my RGB SCART and tried it out, and I apologise. Last time I compared both was on my old style 32" TV where it did make a huge difference. Now though, the difference is a lot smaller. Still a big difference on the games that utilize component, but overall you guys were right. I always admit when I am wrong, and on this occasion I am...

• AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theme Hospital.