Cowell offers Cheryl 1.1 million to rejoin XF USA

Comments

• Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Maybe she's decided not to return then? *shrugs*

But then she did take a few months off before she signed up for XFUSA last time (hence the shortlived MLR album campaign). Who knows, but I still think the offer was on the table for her to come back and it may still happen.

Or maybe her 'no' is the reason why Cowell's been looking miserable of late :p:p;)

No disrespect to her though, but it is funny how many 'breaks' she does take. Anyone would think she had Rihanna's workload :p

I wish I could take six months off *sighs* :cry:

Yet when she's in the tabloids and magazines every day, people moan that they're sick of seeing her :rolleyes:
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then she's been meeting the boss of Syco? We know that.

So something has gone on, it isn't all made up.

She had one meeting that was reported months ago, a short while before the lawsuit was public knowledge. She maybe met with him to clear the air and let him know of the lawsuit, she isn't suing him, she is suing the production company.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then she's been meeting the boss of Syco? We know that.

So something has gone on, it isn't all made up.

are you referring to that one meeting with cowell last year? the only development since that meeting has been her launching her lawsuit against the production company and a court date for that lawsuit is set for next month. not really the best of terms to re-establish a working relationship, now is it?:o
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    are you referring to that one meeting with cowell last year? the only development since that meeting has been her launching her lawsuit against the production company and a court date for that lawsuit is set for next month. not really the best of terms to re-establish a working relationship, now is it?:o

As i've said before, i'll be very surprised if that case isnt settled before it goes to court. Do you honestly think SC or Fox are going to let her drag the brand through court, and with them as witnesses for just a couple of million?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As i've said before, i'll be very surprised if that case isnt settled before it goes to court. Do you honestly think SC or Fox are going to let her drag the brand through court, and with them as witnesses for just a couple of million?

it is going to court though, the case conference meeting is set for next month.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is going to court though, the case conference meeting is set for next month.:confused:

They can settle right upto the point the actual case goes to court, even beyond that conference date. The conference is just a logistical thing, i dont think she is even at that.

Obviously you are right though, if she was going to have anything to do with them now or in the future, it wouldnt exactly be a great idea for her to still be suing them.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl will be aiming to crack America with her solo career and her on X Factor usa would be good promotion. And since Girls Aloud have split up for good she'll have more time. Her main aim will be to break America since she's already done UK/Ireland. I think it could work out if it's her , Ne-yo , Simon and depending on the other female judge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can settle right upto the point the actual case goes to court, even beyond that conference date. The conference is just a logistical thing, i dont think she is even at that.

Obviously you are right though, if she was going to have anything to do with them now or in the future, it wouldnt exactly be a great idea for her to still be suing them.

blue orbit are fully prepared to fight this suit and there`s no reason believe that either party will back down. she obviously has her reasons for these legal proceedings, but resuming a working relationship seems an unlikely motive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blue orbit are fully prepared to fight this suit and there`s no reason believe that either party will back down.

It's a billion dollar brand, and shes sueing them for $2 Million right? Thats less than even the prize the winning contestant gets. Now if this goes to court she not only drags that brand through court, but the various conversations with fox, syco and blue orbit execs both she and will.i.am had will have to come out in open court, potentially damaging both her and them, and add to that people like Simon Cowell could be called. Also if she lost, she'd have to pay their costs possibly bankrupting her. I'd take that into account before being sure how far either she or blue orbit are actually really prepared to go.

Whatever admin is being done for it at the moment doesnt matter, lets see if it actually happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also if she lost, she'd have to pay their costs possibly bankrupting her. I'd take that into account before being sure how far either she or blue orbit are actually really prepared to go.

we can only go on the little facts we have on the matter, as things stand, both parties are prepare to see this lawsuit through. she could be left with a huge legal bill at the end of proceedings and perhaps blue orbit will buckle before things get that far. all your scenarios are indeed possible, if not a little fanciful, but the only information we have available suggests that this case is heading for court.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    Cheryl will be aiming to crack America with her solo career and her on X Factor usa would be good promotion. And since Girls Aloud have split up for good she'll have more time. Her main aim will be to break America since she's already done UK/Ireland. I think it could work out if it's her , Ne-yo , Simon and depending on the other female judge.

I really don't think she cares that much about breaking America. I don't think she wants to put the work in, I think she would do it if it was easier, ie joining X Factor but I have my doubts whether she would go back after them firing her.

You say America would be her next goal, but really you would think Europe and then places like Australia would be the next logical step and apart from promoting FFTL she hasn't bothered doing any real promo, even though it pays off as FFTL was successful, so she just probably chooses not too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but the only information we have available suggests that this case is heading for court.

thats true, but usually these things are only ever settled officially last minute, so i'd be very surprised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats true, but usually these things are only ever settled officially last minute, so i'd be very surprised.

we will soon see, like you wrote previously. its probably best to never over think these scenarios, that is why i prefer to take things at face value when following a story as it develops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we will soon see, like you wrote previously. its probably best to never over think these scenarios, that is why i prefer to take things at face value when following a story as it develops.

Well, obviously the press can only report what they find out, but yes we'll see soon. :)
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Harding confirmed that Cheryl has moved back to LA. I know her bf is there, but maybe XFUSA too?

I haven't really read any stories about a possible replacement for Britney besides this Cheryl one. Has there been an speculation about anyone else?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if it stops her from making another record it is money well spent!!!!!
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Devi Lovato has already been announced as returning, is the time coming when all other judges will be announced. Is that why she has suddenly headed straight to LA. One way or the other it won't be long before we all know. I think its 50:50 at the moment.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really know why Cheryl bothers with trying to break America and get a foot hold because I just see her as a UK celebrity and involved in UK showbiz. Here she stands a much better chance of getting on one of the big TV shows like X Factor or Britains Got Talent.

You need to know your market.
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I don't really know why Cheryl bothers with trying to break America and get a foot hold because I just see her as a UK celebrity and involved in UK showbiz. Here she stands a much better chance of getting on one of the big TV shows like X Factor or Britains Got Talent.

You need to know your market.

I totally 100% agree with you there! I dunno but she kinda is a hypocrite if she takes it because she said she wanted these lies to stop...

TBH I can't see her going back to the show that ultimately humiliated her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only wrinkle in that thought is that returning allows her to repair that humiliation (shows Cowell made mistake, potentially can be very positive if she does well on show etc)... Going back to UK on other hand would accomplish opposite (it would show US was too big for her...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Cowell didn't make a mistake because, as I understand it, he didn't want to sack Cheryl. I think that decision was by Mike Darnell and in fact Simon tried to save her but couldn't. He was the one to break the news to her, but it wasn't his decision as far as I know.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    People are starting to confuse me. What production company is she suing then? Syco produces X Factor US so it's going to be Syco/Simon. Why do people think there's some third party besides Syco, Fox involved?
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are starting to confuse me. What production company is she suing then? Syco produces X Factor US so it's going to be Syco/Simon. Why do people think there's some third party besides Syco, Fox involved?

She'll be suing Fox. They're the ones that do the hiring and firing. They just give Syco the people to work with. It's the same here in the UK, its ITV who decide who sits on the panel, it's just played out as though Simon decides. Obviously as the executive producer he'll be able to voice his opinion for who would be good but its ITV that make the final decision and put the money on the table.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Simon Cowell didn't make a mistake because, as I understand it, he didn't want to sack Cheryl. I think that decision was by Mike Darnell and in fact Simon tried to save her but couldn't. He was the one to break the news to her, but it wasn't his decision as far as I know.

I'm sure Cheryl said that Simon didn't break the news to her (Kate Thornton situation part 2) and that he got someone else to it, and apparently it was his decision.

There's been so many rumours about why he sacked her.

And as far as I understand it, it's not Fox/Simon she's suing, it's the production company Blue Orbit who do the contracts.

Obviously no-one knows the ins and outs, but as she's suing for not being paid for season 2, I wonder if the fact she was asked to go back for that season (something she's confirmed) and said NO, whether that somehow affects her case? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »

Well obviously we don't know the real truth, but Simon never told her she was fired and Cheryl was pissed at him for that. Here's a segment from her book,
    Then things got even messier. Seth had rung Fox and was told by Pete Rice, their Chairman of Entertainment: ‘This is Simon’s call. It’s his show and he has control over who sits on the panel. We love Cheryl over here. We chose her because she’s a star and this has nothing whatsoever to do with Fox. We’re sad it’s gone like this.’ Next, we got a call from a girl asking who I wanted to fly with and which hotel I wanted to stay in when I returned to the States for the next set of auditions in New York on the following Wednesday. Will went bananas, all over again. ‘Excuse me? This is highly disrespectful. It’s all over the press what’s happened. Are you taking the piss?’ ‘No,’ the girl said. ‘I’m just doing my job and I’ve been told Cheryl is expected on Wednesday, to render her duties as a judge.’

Seth got involved again, and it soon became obvious what game they were playing. When Richard had delivered the news, he had chosen his words very carefully and had not actually told me I was fired. He had said I was being replaced, which meant I was still employed by Fox. This meant that, legally, I was contracted to be back on the show in a few days’ time. Will phoned Simon and they had a blazing row. ‘As if she’s gonna rock up after all that’s happened. What are you doing? She trusted you.’ ‘Is she coming back on Wednesday or not?’ Simon asked. ‘Are you joking? Is this all about contracts? Is it that you don’t wanna pay her?’ There was no answer to that, and so Will ended the call by saying, ‘She’s a professional person. She doesn’t break contracts. She’ll be there on Wednesday.’ In the meantime Mike Darnell, one of the top bosses at Fox, and Cecile Frot-Coutaz, the producer, had been on the phone, making it crystal clear this had nothing to do with them either. ‘Sweetheart, darling,’ Cecile said. ‘We all want you back. We’re so sorry this is happening. We’ll see you on Wednesday.’ The last thing I wanted to do was fly to New York under these circumstances, and so Will issued an ultimatum to Fox, asking for written confirmation I’d been sacked. ‘If we don’t get an email in twenty-four hours, she’ll be there, because she doesn’t break contracts,’ Will said. ‘We can’t do it. It’s a Sunday,’ was the response we got back. I was all over the place by this time. I had to get ready to return to the States just in case, not knowing what I would be going back to, and hoping I didn’t have to. Will phoned me from the gym. He was on the treadmill and I could hear him breathing heavily. ‘You’re not fighting this alone, I’m fighting with you,’ he said. ‘I know it’s hard, but the good guys always win. I’m standing next to you the whole way and I’m not watching anyone trample all over you.’

It was such a comfort to have Will’s support, and I believed what he said. The good guys do win in the end, but I just wondered how long it would take for the end of this particular drama to get here. I decided it was time to text Richard Holloway. Not only had he done Simon’s dirty work, but he’d been the one who had chosen his words carefully when it came to delivering the bad news, which was now causing me no end of trouble. ‘What did I ever do to you to deserve this treatment?’ I asked. We’d worked together for three years, and now it had started to sink in that I actually felt more hurt than angry about what he’d done. ‘This is the saddest day of my working life,’ was his reply. This was so not funny any more. The nervous laughter had stopped, and everything felt deadly serious. We received no email confirming my sacking, but in the event I didn’t have to fly back to America because Simon issued a formal statement to the media, announcing my departure from the American X Factor. Thank God! I was just so relieved I wasn’t going back. It was like a massive weight had been lifted from my shoulders as soon as I heard that news.

Now obviously that is just Cheryl's truth, it may differ from that, but I am pretty sure in Simon's unofficial biography Tom Bower's basically says something similar about the Fox execs actually wanting her back. I am not suggesting they wanted her back because they thought she was brilliant or anything like that, but it does look like they wanted her back for some reason.

She is suing Blue Orbit productions, not Syco or Fox.