Who is your favourite ever companion?

jacqueline_greejacqueline_gree Posts: 1,053
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Two words.

Martha Jones.

As controversial as this maybe, I absolutely loved Martha and the series as a whole. She was witty, clever, brave and independent.

You?

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Per Doctor (and excluding spin-off media companions, many of whom I like a lot) :-

First - Ian and Barbara (can't have one without t'other)
    Second - Zoe
    Third - Liz
    Fouth - Second Romana
    Fifth - Turlough
    Sixth - Peri
    Seventh - Ace
    Eighth - Grace
    Ninth - Captain Jack
    Tenth - Donna
    Eleventh - Clara
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    Two words.
    Martha Jones.
    As controversial as this maybe, I absolutely loved Martha and the series as a whole. She was witty, clever, brave and independent.
    You?
    Martha Jones was great I agree, but it has to be Donna Noble for me in the 21st century, and Sarah Jane Smith in the classic series.
    I think I have to cite a separate companion for each era as they were used so differently in each era.
    :)
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Jane for classic, Amy/Rory/Clara for new
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    Per Doctor (and excluding spin-off media companions, many of whom I like a lot) :-
    First - Ian and Barbara (can't have one without t'other)
    Second - Zoe
    Third - Liz
    Fouth - Second Romana
    Fifth - Turlough
    Sixth - Peri
    Seventh - Ace
    Eighth - Grace
    Ninth - Captain Jack
    Tenth - Donna
    Eleventh - Clara
    Hey, come on, it was favourite EVER companion.
    OK, I know I bent the rules by separating new and classic Doctor Who, but you can't completely side-step the fundamental question quite like that!
    :D
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Hey, come on, it was favourite EVER companion.
    OK, I know I bent the rules by separating new and classic Doctor Who, but you can't completely side-step the fundamental question quite like that!
    :D

Impossible to pick my all time favourite. It was a struggle picking one per Doctor.

I generally like them all (even Dodo, Mel and Adric!) with the possible exception of Rose, and even she wasn't that bad when she was with the Ninth Doctor.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Romana 1 - stunningly beautiful, intelligent, stylish, and an intriguing mix of snobbishness, naivety and cynicism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Donna, with Amy a close second. From classic who Sarah Jane.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Sarah Jane.

I do think Martha Jones is vastly under-rated though.
    I mean, of all the Doctor's companions, she's surely the one who had the biggest responsibility and who, as a result, achieved the most by herself.
    She didn't get temporary super-powers for her finest hour. She was just a regular human who toughed it out, got the job done and saved the world.

If Sarah Jane hadn't been the subject of my first ever crush, Martha might be in the top spot.
  • miffy_1306miffy_1306 Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan if she counts as a companion (rather than family)?

I loved Martha as well :) I am still sorry she didn't join Torchwood.

& K9 :D
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words.

Martha Jones.

You?

Not controversial for me. I loved Martha to. I thought she had a brilliant story arc. Series three remains my favourite.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    Not controversial for me. I loved Martha to. I thought she had a brilliant story arc. Series three remains my favourite.

Nor me, Martha is my favourite Nu-Who companion. Overall though it's always been (and I strongly suspect always will be) Sarah Jane Smith.
  • MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martha Jones for me, nice to see her getting a lot of love here, don't see it too often
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two words.

Martha Jones.

You?

I love Martha a lot, and it's great to see some love for a companion often unfairly derided. Nonetheless, Rose has to be my favourite ever.

I have to give Ace a mention too. Adored her.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Martha a lot, and it's great to see some love for a companion often unfairly derided. Nonetheless, Rose has to be my favourite ever.

I have to give Ace a mention too. Adored her.

Couldn't stand Rose or Ace but enough of that. Congratulations on your 15,000 post!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I'm growing rather fond of Leela as I pick off fourth Doctor episodes, but I'm probably not really evaluating her as a companion per se. Best overall of those I've seen is probably Romana II. It's nice to have a companion who doesn't have to ask about everything. For the new series, hard to say for sure, but I'd lean toward Donna for the give and take she had with the Doctor.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Couldn't stand Rose or Ace but enough of that. Congratulations on your 15,000 post!!!

Thank you! I didn't even notice.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose. I love her personality and her chemistry she had with David's Doctor.

Martha is second and Donna third. I never clicked with Amy and she was the main reason along with Rory, why I didn't watch series 5 or 6.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Rose. I love her personality and her chemistry she had with David's Doctor.

Martha is second and Donna third. I never clicked with Amy and she was the main reason along with Rory, why I didn't watch series 5 or 6.

Back onboard with 7?
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory Williams! :D

As a man, it was just nice to have a companion to properly identify with as I was neither like Mickey or Jack. Obviously, I can't say I'm like Rory was in regards to the waiting outside the Pandorica and becoming an auton thing, but in parts he just reminded me of myself.

He just felt the most real of the companions with genuine concerns about the whole travelling thing and sometimes he wasn't afraid to voice to the Doctor on occasions - he wasn't just awestruck by time and space - he felt very genuine during his travels.

He basically represented how I would probably be as the companion. I think Arthur played him well all the time - mixed the comedy and drama extremely well and just made a very relatable and likeable character. :)
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New series - Martha. Classic series - Leela. Both did a great job of following very popular companions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Amy and Rory. Loved their dynamic with Eleven. It just worked.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donna Noble.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Lucy Miller
    2. Donna Noble
    3. Romana II
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leela
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I loved the companions from series 1-4, but my favourite has to be Rose. You really got to know her personality and background so it was much sadder when she left. That is what RTD was great at! Dramatic yet really emotional stories. It is great when you can relate to the companions as it feels like they are YOUR family when they have to leave.

I feel that Moffat is focusing too much on story arcs and less on developing the companions. Like with Amy, you never really got to see her family or background, so when she left, I didn't really feel sad.

It's the same with Clara, Moffat killed off her Mother in the first episode so we can never meet her again, and her Father has nothing to do with the show at all! I feel that when Clara has to leave, I will really struggle to feel emotional and sad.

It is also good when the Doctor and the companion have a bit of chemistry between them, like with Rose, Martha, and Donna.
    Seeing as Amy was engaged nothing was able to happen. It is much better that Clara hasn't got a boyfriend travelling with them, but still, it seems the Doctor is only taking her with him to find out who she is, so there isn't much chemistry there either IMO.