Options

Midge Ure incredibly underrated as an artist

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
He's played in countless groups including Slik, Rich Kids, Visage (he also wrote 'Fade to Grey'), Thin Lizzy and most famously Ultravox, as well as having a credible solo career.

Also he didn't seem to get nearly as much credit as he should have for Band Aid / Live Aid. That seemed to all go to Geldoff. Geldoff even got knighted for his efforts whilst Midge only got an OBE despite having an equal hand in writing the track and putting things together.

For me Vienna and Fade To Grey are two of the defining tracks of early 80s pop music and it seems unfair that Midge is these days restricted to playing medium-size halls and 80s nostalgia tours.

Comments

• Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgetting the classic. "Roxanne you dont have to stick your message up a bottle".
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's rated just right.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Vienna and Fade To Grey are two of the defining tracks of early 80s pop music and it seems unfair that Midge is these days restricted to playing medium-size halls and 80s nostalgia tours.
    As opposed to what though? He's not 'restricted', except by himself. No-one's stopping him from staging any sort of tour he wants if he can fund it, but I can't quite see him recouping the costs somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a talented artist with a decent back catalogue, but his heyday has long gone. Many big 80's names don't even have the luxury of the playing the nostalgia circuit or even small, let alone medium, venues to keep the money coming in, so I doubt Midge is terribly concerned.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    He showed up at the Ramblin' Man Festival in Kent this past weekend and performed "The Cowboy Song" and "The Boys Are Back In Town" with the current Thin Lizzy line-up, was genuinely amazing, he looked incredibly happy to be performing a few Lizzy songs again.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He showed up at the Ramblin' Man Festival in Kent this past weekend and performed "The Cowboy Song" and "The Boys Are Back In Town" with the current Thin Lizzy line-up, was genuinely amazing, he looked incredibly happy to be performing a few Lizzy songs again.

Although he has always said he was by far the worst guitarist ever to play in Thin Lizzy! :D:D
  • Options
    IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    Gosh, I remember seeing him in Slik in Belfast about 1975/76. Good night it was too.