Options

One Year Break - Good or Bad Idea?

DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
Forum Member
I would be interested to know what people think of the one year break from Doctor Who, now that it is nearly over...

When I first heard the news I was quite dismayed, and it brought back memories of when the series was last put on hold, way back during the Colin Baker years, which didn't seem to do it any favours at all. I also thought it was an underhand way of the BBC to save a bit of cash.

But in retrospect I think it has worked out for the best. I think the steady flow of info and trailers about the specials and next series being filmed have helped to maintain interest, and judging by the ratings for Waters of Mars it hasn't lost any popularity. So if it helps to keep the show, fresh and alive then I think it is a good idea that the show takes a break every 4-5 years.

From what I have seen of the next series it seems like the new production team will be re-engerising the format once again, and it really does feel like a new beginning which I guess will only help to maintain interest in the series in this cut throat, ratings led TV world we live in.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would've preferred one more DW special if they had a good story idea , around the August Bank Holiday time. There's a huge difference between this "gap year" and the hiatus during Colin Bakers time. It shows just how trusted the current production team were , to be given a whole year without a full series of one of the beebs flagship shows. The 85-86 hiatus was the first nail in the coffin for the classic series. Unless Moffatt gets things spectacularly wrong , then I think there's little chance of the same outcome for the new version of the show.
    All the signs for Matt Smith as The Doctor seem to be very good and the show is in safe hands. The smaller amount of new DW stuff on our screens has increased my hunger for seeing the xmas specials and the next series.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Initially, it made me hungrier for the specials too, but I was so disappointed with POTD, that even when WOM's HD recording messed up I wasn't that fussed and waited for BBC3's repeat.

I think that maybe another special around August Bank holiday would've made me more excited (and consequently gutted) about WOM.

HAving now seen WOM though, I am incredibly excited for the last two.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why it was needed really. After Journeys End I think it took a lot out of all the staff, acting crew and production staff and I think it also prevents a bit of fan burnout. It takes an awful lot of effort to make 13 episodes a series so while I missed having a 13 week spell of Doctor Who I think you've got to accept it won't be around forever.
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I can see why it was needed really. After Journeys End I think it took a lot out of all the staff, acting crew and production staff and I think it also prevents a bit of fan burnout. It takes an awful lot of effort to make 13 episodes a series so while I missed having a 13 week spell of Doctor Who I think you've got to accept it won't be around forever.

most american shows have 22 episodes a year and they seem to manage.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    They also have a bigger budget.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    It's pretty amazing to think that when Doctor Who first started it was shown nearly all year round, with only a four week break between seasons or something like that.
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing to think that when Doctor Who first started it was shown nearly all year round, with only a four week break between seasons or something like that.

True, but it was also mainly shot in studio like a soap opera, with limited special effects.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would much rather have a series, even a shorter one, than wait months in between specials (extended episodes). With a series you get right into it and over a few weeks all the interest and excitement intensifies, then it's gone and you can analyse, discuss or watch it again and make sense of it. This way you watch it again and put it away because whatever's going to be resolved won't happen for months. We know what's going to happen, we just don't know how. I'd rather they got on with it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most american shows have 22 episodes a year and they seem to manage.

Yes they do but they're not fuinded and run by the BBC. I think production is very different to the way it's done in americas. I don't know how it works by any means but Doctor Who is a British show and to produce BBC quality stuff and keep the same quality maybe this is the way it has to be done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    They also have a bigger budget.

And bigger casts, with an army of writers.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a brilliant idea. Firstly it allowed Tennant to have a 6 month break from Who before coming back to shoot the final episodes and it's enabled a smooth transition between production teams. I don't think Moffat would have been ready to take over if the break hadn't happened, and we definitely did not need another full Tennant season.

It's just a shame that Planet of the Dead was a dodgy special. You can tell both RTD and Tennant's hearts just weren't in it as much as other episodes. Waters of Mars felt the opposite, one of their best joint efforts ever. One of Tennant's most essential performances.
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad. Until recently all we'd had this year was Planet of the Dead, how could any fan be in favour of that kind of situation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the biggest downside has been that the break has meant they have started filming the new series with the new Doc before the last one has gone on screen, which has rather detracted fan excitement for some (myself included) for the Xmas specials.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have liked it and yet I haven't. I liked it because there's more excitement over the episodes but obviously there hasn't been enough Doctor Who this year. It made me strangely annoyed that when I wandered into a toy shop there was just one small shelf of Doctor Who merchandise whereas last year there was, I think, a very big display. I just found it weird like people (well kids) had gone off it already!
    Thank the Timelords we have a proper series next year :D Heehee.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    It's good to have a break but I'd have rathered they did a weekend-long three part event (similar to Children Of Earth) early summer with children in need and comic relief skits to bridge the gaps followed by the usual christmas special.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    This is my first ever Digital Spy post (after months of watching and waiting!) so please do excuse anything in this reply which might be
    incorrect!

I definitely picked the wrong time to become addicted to Doctor Who - right at the end of the fourth series. I got through the boxsets of New Who in about a fortnight, and until last week had been left with nothing but Planet of the Dead for stimulation.

I enjoyed Waters of Mars (although i quite disliked Adelaide) and it's left me desperate for the next two specials.

As for taking a break regularly: I was under the impression that the only reason we were without a full series this is was because Tennant wanted to do something else.

I think I'd feel less deprived of Who if Torchwood had been a full series this year.
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Alderaan_ wrote: »
    This is my first ever Digital Spy post (after months of watching and waiting!) so please do excuse anything in this reply which might be
    incorrect!

I definitely picked the wrong time to become addicted to Doctor Who - right at the end of the fourth series. I got through the boxsets of New Who in about a fortnight, and until last week had been left with nothing but Planet of the Dead for stimulation.

I enjoyed Waters of Mars (although i quite disliked Adelaide) and it's left me desperate for the next two specials.

As for taking a break regularly: I was under the impression that the only reason we were without a full series this is was because Tennant wanted to do something else.

I think I'd feel less deprived of Who if Torchwood had been a full series this year.

Hi Alderaan, welcome to the forum.

It was actually the other way about - the break was already planned and DT took the opportunity to use the time to do other work.

I didn't mind the break too much - there were enough bits and pieces and news from filming to keep me going, even if the wait for WoM was a little longer than I expected. Between re-watching all of New Who and TW and quite a lot of Classic Who stories, it's not been too bad.

The wait until Christmas Day, though - now all of a sudden, that seems a long time away!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Thinking commercially, it's possibly a bad idea.

I went to toys r us over the summer and those of you who have done the same will know that on entering the stores (they are all set up the same nationwide) there would previously have been a huge photo of DT with a sonic screwdriver. Around him would be everything you can imagine to do with Doctor Who with sound effects whirring etc etc. This year, said display belonged to Transformers. I eventually found a small amount of Doctor Who stuff hidden at the back of the store.

I have no doubt that this is partly to do with the fact there was nothing new to sell this year and it was out of public conciousness. Given that this sort of income is likely to be a big part of the series' viability, and that kids are notoriously fickle over the latest crazes, was this a bit of an own goal? Will Doc11 be able to regain the same sort of presence after a year's break?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I've hardly seen any Doctor Who merchandise this year, which is a shame because there was a fair bit that I would have liked.
    Are they doing advent calenders this year, has anyone seen any?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it wasn't a bad idea, not least because I really enjoyed Hamlet. But I concur I think another special would have bridged that gap nicely.

It wasn't quite enough and the casting of Michelle Ryan in POTD was a bit of a let down really that kind of ruined that episode for me. IMO anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    ..... Doctor Who is a British show and to produce BBC quality stuff and keep the same quality maybe this is the way it has to be done.
    Interesting. Would you care to explain how the quality of Doctor Who is superior to the quality of Babylon 5 or the Stargates?
  • Options
    kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the break has worked and like some i would have maybe preferred wom to air earlier and then EOT part one where wom was then EOT part 2 on xmas day but in general i have been okay with it!

Re merchandise i would assume its due to the rebranding for season 5 as the producers of this stuff need to know nearly a year in advance in order to produce the toylines and all appropriate parifnalia

Kenneth
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And bigger casts, with an army of writers.

One of the only US show comparable would be X-files (with only 2main leads)

But as stated they had lots of different writers, and less special effects/alien planets etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carsten1 wrote: »
    Interesting. Would you care to explain how the quality of Doctor Who is superior to the quality of Babylon 5 or the Stargates?

It's BBC license fee programming. Something I'm sure that we're all proud of, That's what I mean. Obviously American cult is way ahead of us in terms of quality but I love the BBC and that Doctor Who is not commercially supported broadcasting.