What's the worst thing you've ever had happen to a printer?

What's the worst thing you've ever had happen to a printer? The worst I have ever had happen to a printer is the paper getting jammed, but I remember reading in a computer magazine where somebody's hamster managed to get inside a printer and nibble at the insides of it and the parts that were damaged were unobtainable, so they ended up having to buy a new printer! :D

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My uncle once wanted about 40 photos printed of himself with a friend of his who was a priest (he's a religious nutjob :rolleyes:). My dad got annoyed with him because he knew it would use up a lot of ink and he offered to charge him for the ink but my uncle was having none of it. Anyway dad printed one picture for him and after he printed the photo the printer wouldn't print black! It took three cleaning cycles to get the printer to print black again :D Dad thinks the printer had good taste! I still laugh about it to this day :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an HP Deskjet F4180 (IIRC) and it was a complete piece of shit.

I didn't even want it, when I bought my Mac they had an offer on where if you bought a printer they'd give you the money back post purchase. Only they wanted the shipping label off it and I had chucked the box in the bin so I ended up paying for it.

Anyway, it jammed constantly, needed new cartridges every time I wanted to print anything, and was basically just a total pain in the arse. I said I'd print some photos off as a favour for someone (they were putting them in a frame to give to someone on their last day of work). I had enough photo paper to do the job plus a few left over.

Half way through printing an A4 photo, the flippin cartridge runs out. One piece wasted. I replaced the cartridge and it liked to do a cartridge alignment sheet which you then had to scan and it'd print it again (wasting two sheets and pages of ink). I forgot about this so had a lovely alignment sheet printed on glossy photo paper. I thought oh well, another piece wasted but I just have enough to do the rest. Put the photo paper in and it just kept churning out those alignment sheets.

That was the final straw, the stupid thing never worked properly so I whacked it as hard as I could, picked it up and took it downstairs then threw it out the door. It sat in the garden with the case smashed for days, getting rained on. I hit the damn thing so hard there is still a printer shaped dent in the filing cabinet that it was sitting on. Man, it felt good though. That was the last inkjet I bought and the last I will ever buy.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me, but a mate of mine had a Hp printer, it was the updated version of the 400 and the first time he printed, it fell apart with springs and cogs flying all over the place.

I suppose the worse thing I had with a printer was paying over the odds for a Philips all in with fax and then paying over the odds for more ink.

i still got the printer and I was going to just use it for fax and photo copying as that can be done without the computer.

but first the ink is too expensive and secondly i am not sure if it would work over a sipgate.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    many moons ago a faulty black cartridge bust open and soaked the my mums new cream/light beige carpet in black ink. The printer was on the floor under a desk.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    The bastard thing caught fire. It was one of those stupid old Xerox phaser things so chances are it was trying to kill itself before the red light of death got to it.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a previous place of work, a colleague fit may toner into a printer but didn't take the ribbon out. Meaning when a user printed, the toner exploded, leaving toner dust everywhere. Effectively ruining the printer and toner.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP is inactive already, just like alan1302 said would happen...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    many moons ago a faulty black cartridge bust open and soaked the my mums new cream/light beige carpet in black ink. The printer was on the floor under a desk.

I bet that must have cost a fortune to clean :eek: