2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    slider28 wrote: »
    This would be nice if it was true!!!! Missing Episodes??

http://www.genrenexus.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4922

The thing that makes me skeptical is that it cites "The Full Hartnell", but The Feast Of Steven had the only EVER copy wiped.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that makes me skeptical is that it cites "The Full Hartnell", but The Feast Of Steven had the only EVER copy wiped.

Yeah.

Seriously I wouldn't get your hopes up everybody.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we keep discussions of missing episodes in the missing episodes thread please chaps? Sorry I don't know how to post a picture of a shih tzu dog in my profile.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Can anyone enlighten me about the special features on the Regeneration box set? Can't find details anywhere, is it a vanilla set?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, as it's a steal at £36, and I don't currently own The Tenth Planet, The War Games (my favourite classic story), Planet of the Spiders, The Caves of Androzani or Time and the Rani on DVD (although I've seen all the stories except The Tenth Planet).

The problem is that the special features on The War Games' original release look amazing and I really do want to see them - are these in the Regeneration set? If not, I really do want to buy the individual release of The War Games, in which case my question would be is the Regeneration set still worth it?

Thanks!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind of Evil ep.1 watched last night: the colour really is impressive. I'm not normally fussed about that sort of thing, but this was fantastic. I wouldn't have known it had been recoloured/colour-recovered/whatever.

And I agree that the "missing episode" stuff probably belongs elsewhere. ;)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind of Evil ep.1 watched last night: the colour really is impressive. I'm not normally fussed about that sort of thing, but this was fantastic. I wouldn't have known it had been recoloured/colour-recovered/whatever.

Well if it was true...... then on the 2014 Classic Series DVD thread! :)
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me about the special features on the Regeneration box set? Can't find details anywhere, is it a vanilla set?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, as it's a steal at £36, and I don't currently own The Tenth Planet, The War Games (my favourite classic story), Planet of the Spiders, The Caves of Androzani or Time and the Rani on DVD (although I've seen all the stories except The Tenth Planet).

The problem is that the special features on The War Games' original release look amazing and I really do want to see them - are these in the Regeneration set? If not, I really do want to buy the individual release of The War Games, in which case my question would be is the Regeneration set still worth it?

Thanks!

I would buy both if i were you. The regeneration box does not have any special features. I would buy the box set because it is limited to 1000 copies and is beautiful, and any fan would want that! I would also buy the individual releases because they are very cheap and you get about 5 hours of extra special features!
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I would buy both if i were you. The regeneration box does not have any special features. I would buy the box set because it is limited to 1000 copies and is beautiful, and any fan would want that! I would also buy the individual releases because they are very cheap and you get about 5 hours of extra special features!

Thanks for that - I'm not sure I'll bother buying every one individually and I'm certainly not going to pay for a second copy of Time and the Rani (!) but I'll buy an individual copy of The War Games, as the special features on that really do look fantastic (3 hours of documentaries about the black and white era, regeneration, writing The War Games, the locations, music of the 60s - wow!).

And yeah, the Regeneration set is an absolute gem, and looks like a wonderful thing to have on the shelf, so I'll still be getting that, I think. The War Games is fairly cheap now so it won't make much difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I'm not sure I'll bother buying every one individually and I'm certainly not going to pay for a second copy of Time and the Rani (!) but I'll buy an individual copy of The War Games, as the special features on that really do look fantastic (3 hours of documentaries about the black and white era, regeneration, writing The War Games, the locations, music of the 60s - wow!).

And yeah, the Regeneration set is an absolute gem, and looks like a wonderful thing to have on the shelf, so I'll still be getting that, I think. The War Games is fairly cheap now so it won't make much difference.

I would get the following individually, for the special features:

The tenth planet
    The war games
    re-visitations 1 (it features special editions of caves and the movie)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't! Got all the episodes apart fromTenth Planet already and I'm certainly not going to pay for the TV Movie for a THIRD time, and the dross that is End of Time and Time and the Rani for a second.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When all the surviving stories are released on DVD I will be very interested in what the BBC do next. Doctor Who has been on the go either on VHS or DVD for them for the best part of 25 years. They may not been keen for it to come to an end, as I can only imagine the money they make off them.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    When all the surviving stories are released on DVD I will be very interested in what the BBC do next. Doctor Who has been on the go either on VHS or DVD for them for the best part of 25 years. They may not been keen for it to come to an end, as I can only imagine the money they make off them.

Release them all again as Special Editions...then again as Blu-ray.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member

Testament to Babelcolour's techniques -- ep 1 being the episode he hand coloured frame by frame ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of the stories will be near impossible to upgrade to Blu-ray. Some may would even end up looking worse then the DVD versions if they tried.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Most of the stories will be near impossible to upgrade to Blu-ray. Some may would even end up looking worse then the DVD versions if they tried.

For the UK maybe they would, but for the US there would be a significant (20%?) increase in picture quality due to the NTSC vs PAL differential. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My copy of the regeneration boxset has just been dispatched. Should be here Friday or Saturday!
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My copy of the regeneration boxset has just been dispatched. Should be here Friday or Saturday!

Looking forward to the unboxing of this one. I've changed my mind so many times on the release, ordered then cancelled. Still unsure.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to the unboxing of this one. I've changed my mind so many times on the release, ordered then cancelled. Still unsure.:rolleyes:

lol, as soon as it comes through the door i will do a video about it!
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm excited about the regenerations box set as well. I only own a couple of classic DW DVDs and none of the ones in this set so it's perfect for me to get a taste of each era.
    I'll be slightly annoyed if they've found the Tenth Planet and still kept the animated version though. Of course I know that's a can of worms at the moment, but just my thoughts :)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But if Blu-ray or something else eventually overtakes DVDs, making them obsolete then they'll have to release blu-ray versions even if they aren't HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    The artwork for the long awaited Terror of the Zygons DVD has finally been revealed:

R1: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71QmDnqMOvL._SL1081_.jpg

R2 (mockup): http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o724/JMW_PICS/Zygons_zps958aa47f.jpg

Its very good artwork but we don't yet know whether the Zygon's head will poke out the R2 and R4 template, only time will tell!:D
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who-Fan63 wrote: »
    The artwork for the long awaited Terror of the Zygons DVD has finally been revealed:

R2 (mockup): http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o724/JMW_PICS/Zygons_zps958aa47f.jpg

Its very good artwork but we don't yet know whether the Zygon's head will poke out the R2 and R4 template, only time will tell!:D

What do you mean "poke out the R2 and R4 template"? :)

On an unrelated note, I watched Doctor Who's A Christmas Carol last night for the first time. I also watched "Night at the Proms" which is an extra on the Blu-Ray. It was awesome; I would have done anything to have been there. By the way, over here in the US, a prom is a High School dance (usually done to celebrate the fact that one is graduating High School, but it is also done sometimes as a Junior as well). Apparently it means something else in the UK. Could somebody define it for me? Thanks in advance. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who-Fan63 wrote: »

Nice. The last full Doctor Who story to be released. End of an era:( it's not the same buying special edition re-releases
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »

On an unrelated note, I watched Doctor Who's A Christmas Carol last night for the first time. I also watched "Night at the Proms" which is an extra on the Blu-Ray. It was awesome; I would have done anything to have been there. By the way, over here in the US, a prom is a High School dance (usually done to celebrate the fact that one is graduating High School, but it is also done sometimes as a Junior as well). Apparently it means something else in the UK. Could somebody define it for me? Thanks in advance. :)

The proms in the UK is an event the BBC hold filled with music
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »

I mean will the zygon's head be shown behind the Doctor Who logo on the R2 and R4 covers (like they did with the Axon's head and tendrils on the Claws of Axos SE cover: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81fLhxAgmWL._SL1500_.jpg) or will it be cut off like Sylvester McCoy's hat was with the Greatest Show in the Galaxy DVD:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71HFnWjZeyL._SL1081_.jpg (which many fans complained about!)