Sue Johnston - Let Down by Corrie Writers

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,379
Forum Member
✭✭
Sue Johnston must be disappointed with the poor writing she has been given as Gloria Price - Gloria was supposed to have been a strong character but there is nothing in her character that has depth- this is down to poor writing.

In contrast her possible counterpart over on EastEnders Cora Cross is a character that has been written cleverly which has given the character of Cora depth. Sue Johnston like Ann Mitchell is a fine and well respected actress but the writing she has been given has been awful.

Comments

• Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shes a gold standard actress of proven ability so it really is a case of epic fail on the part of the writers and not Sue Johnston.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's only been in it about 2 months! It took me about 6 months to start enjoying Cora in EE.

For what its worth I don't mind Gloria.
  • RobRob Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get what people's issue is with Gloria. I like her a lot. If a lot of what people say on here is to be believed, all the characters are being written badly at the moment.
  • LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's just something unconvincing about her, maybe it's that silly wig, I dunno...

I don't think it's entirely the writing, although that hasn't been great either, something is 'off' with Sue's performance. I think she's a fantastic actress but maybe the part isn't suited to her.

It's not that I actively dislike Gloria, I just don't have any strong feelings towards her either way. I much prefer Sylvia as a battleaxe and can't wait until she is back on-screen.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find Gloria extremely irritating. That stupid wig on her head makes her seem a characature rather than a believable person. And who in real life would put up with her bad behaviour that is supposed to be 'comedy gold'. Some characters are popular and gel with the public and some just dont and Stella and Gloria dont. How long is her contract does anybody know?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very pleased when it was announced that Sue would be joining Corrie, but so far they've wasted her with daft/comedy stories. I hope she has some better stuff coming up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's only been in it about 2 months! It took me about 6 months to start enjoying Cora in EE.

For what its worth I don't mind Gloria.

Me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen her in anything before. Finding her incredibly annoying in Corrie. Terrible character, terribly played.
  • iHeartAliKingiHeartAliKing Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah for sure she is a great actress, character had potential but she's in a real boring family
  • stitcherjennystitcherjenny Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Such a shame. She's a great actress but Gloria is terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeMeMe01 wrote: »
    Never seen her in anything before. Finding her incredibly annoying in Corrie. Terrible character, terribly played.

You've really never seen her in anything before?
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gloria is terrible ... terrible.

The sad thing is that that 'type' of character has been done time and again in the Rovers and to a much better standard.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    She's a recycled caricature of other characters that have already featured in the show. But she's also only finding her feet now. The writing for her may have changed, considering she started while she was getting over an illness, to lessen the load on her, and might pick up when she's in it for a bit longer.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeMeMe01 wrote: »

Same, Corrie was the first time I saw her acting (I know she been in other shows but I dont watch them) and I agree I find Gloria extremely irritating and for me I dont find anything funny about her character.
    I dont think Gloria and Stella work well together.
    I miss Sylvia
  • axl roseaxl rose Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find Gloria extremely irritating. That stupid wig on her head makes her seem a characature rather than a believable person. And who in real life would put up with her bad behaviour that is supposed to be 'comedy gold'. Some characters are popular and gel with the public and some just dont and Stella and Gloria dont. How long is her contract does anybody know?

I agree and its such a shame as Sue Johnstone is a talented actress. I especially loved her in the Royle Family.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she works as Stella's mother, there hasn't been any sign of a loving relationship underneath the obvious contempt Stella has for her. She does however work well with Eva, which is good.

I also think she needs to be moved out of the pub quickly, because her constant involvement in other people's business is a big issue with how annoying she's becoming. She doesn't belong there, actually I think she'd work better at the factory, I think that group is lacking something at the moment since Janice's departure, Gloria could be just the trick. I'd move Eva out of Underworld too, she should be working in a trendy bar in town, rather than working for a barmaid and a clueless ex-con and slumming it with the likes of Beth and Kirk.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was alright, I mean what are people expecting from a soap. She will never be as good when its a more focused drama or comedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scriptwriters have possibly let Sue Johnston down with her latest story line. Lying about dying is sick and it's a massive step backwards for her character because Gloria is there for comedy value and I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the scriptwriters have wanted viewers to see the funny side.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    She really should have been a downtrodden OAP, she plays downtrodden so well in other shows I've seen her in. It could explain where some of Leanne's roughness (?) came from too.

Dunno, it just hasn't worked for me so far anyway. Then again Stella still hasn't quite worked for me either.
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She really should have been a downtrodden OAP, she plays downtrodden so well in other shows I've seen her in. It could explain where some of Leanne's roughness (?) came from too.

Dunno, it just hasn't worked for me so far anyway. Then again Stella still hasn't quite worked for me either.

I tend to think that they were trying to position her as a bit of Madge from Benidorm type character, but the hairbrained schemes and strange delusions of grandeur took over and left Gloria as a very one-dimensional caricature.

She actually would've worked quite well as that type of character, and I think that Sue would've played it marvellously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sad sad sight to see Sue Johnston being wasted on crap like this. I couldn't imagine EE or Emmerdale treating her like that.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I thought she was alright, I mean what are people expecting from a soap. She will never be as good when its a more focused drama or comedy.

Sue was fantastic playing Sheila Grant in Brookside, back in the day. I cannot warm to her role as Gloria.
  • Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what we are seeing is what happens all too often when soaps cast famous actors, they are remembered for the characters they have played in the past and when they take on a role which is different to that sometimes it just doesn't work so well.

Look at Nigel Havers for instance who plays Lewis. He has always been a smooth ladies man, ironically best remembered for me in the charmer where he played a ladies man and conman, and is just reprising that role of Lewis now. So naturally that type of character works for him because he is very convincing in that role because he is known for it.

So if anything the only thing Corrie are guilty of is not casting the right actress to play the role of gloria.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the writing for her has been rather unbelievable and the stupid and unrealistic wig just makes her into a caricature.

We all know Sue is a brilliant actress, whether it be comedy or serious drama, so there is no other answer to the problem except the writing. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but for me its not just the writing thats at fault here its also Sue Johnston! I'm not doubting she is a good actress but bad writing or not she has failed to put her stamp on the role and her insistence in delivering her lines below whispering level is really annoying me! IMO it just isnt working out at all on Corrie!