What to expect from orthodontist consultation?

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Got my consultation with the surgery's orthodontist soon and I'm wondering what to expect.

I'm going to be talking about the possibility of braces and/or jaw surgery (as I have a severe overjet)

I will ofcourse be googling but I'd like to hear your accounts of what will happen/ is likely to happen if you're willing to share please ^_^

I know different places may do things slightly differently though

Comments

• Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. In fact I think you posted in it. I can't copy links on my phone but if you look through my thread history you'll find it there A few people posted their personal experiences and someone also linked a page to a forum. Good luck :) wish I could pluck up the courage to look into it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've made a few threads about this subject too. :) They'll just examine your teeth (similar to a dentist check up), do some X-Rays of your jaw and bite (uncomfortable as you have to bite into a small stick thing and keep it in place while the camera zooms round you), take your molds (disgusting feeling, basically they put a big blob of gel/wax around the inside of your mouth to get a mould of your bite) and maybe refer you to get teeth removed (as you may be overcrowded). Unfortunately it's a long gap between appointments, I got my first appointment in May 2012 and I still haven't even got my braces on. :(
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    Hi I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. In fact I think you posted in it. I can't copy links on my phone but if you look through my thread history you'll find it there A few people posted their personal experiences and someone also linked a page to a forum. Good luck :) wish I could pluck up the courage to look into it.

Oh yes, I did indeed post there..very useful thread it was too

I must admit, I did forget about that and any other previous threads about the topic before I made this one :blush:

Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I've made a few threads about this subject too. :) They'll just examine your teeth (similar to a dentist check up), do some X-Rays of your jaw and bite (uncomfortable as you have to bite into a small stick thing and keep it in place while the camera zooms round you), take your molds (disgusting feeling, basically they put a big blob of gel/wax around the inside of your mouth to get a mould of your bite) and maybe refer you to get teeth removed (as you may be overcrowded). Unfortunately it's a long gap between appointments, I got my first appointment in May 2012 and I still haven't even got my braces on. :(

Insightful stuff, thanks

I've never had a dental x-ray before so that will be interesting. Not looking forward to the mould stuff as I hate any unpleasant tasting things in my mouth :(

Hope you get your braces soon :)
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mould goo tastes nice. It's feels ok to. Back in the day it used to be a chalky clay, now it's a smooth soft resin. You're only stuck there for around 90 seconds then it's out. The x ray is nothing to worry about either. They'll line you up in the correct position, chin on rest, card between teeth, then relax whilst it goes around you.