The Beach Boys' Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is an APPRECIATION thread, so please keep snarky comments elsewhere.

So, The Beach Boys? For me perhaps the greatest singles band ever. And that's from a Beatles' fan. Without a doubt The Beatles were the greatest albums' band of all time, with Pet Sounds and Surf's Up perhaps being the only albums of the Beach Boys capable of touching The Beatles' string of eight or nine magnificent long players.

But what singles!

http://www.beachboys.com/singles/singles.html

Comments

• SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly anyone who dismisses the Beach Boys as the band who wrote a couple fun in the sun songs and never did much beyond that can f*ck right off. Few groups are more versatile than they were or have such an interesting backstory to their music. Perhaps the greatest singles band of all time. By no means did they decline artistically after 1966 as they made great albums and singles up until about 1973 to the more distinguished UK audiences.

The Beach Boys are the only other band in history IMO that ever managed to reach the heights of the Beatles. Here are some of my favourite albums they did.

1. Pet Sounds (One of the greatest album ever recorded, everyone should own a copy of this)
    2. The SMiLE Sessions (For those who still don't see why Brian Wilson is such a genius. Surfs Up is one of the most beautiful songs ever and songs like Cabinessence and Wind Chimes are haunting)
    3. Today!
    4. Sunflower
    5. The Beach Boys' Love You!
    6. Wild Honey
    7. Surfs Up
    8. Friends
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beach Boys are WICKED!!! So many great tracks. The harmonies on Good Vibrations are just orgasmic. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is a great song if you have depression.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Only properly got into them a couple of years ago, but I've always liked them but just knew their main big hits. Got a few of their albums now and they are just incredible. Was lucky enough to see them live at Wembley Arena last year for their 50th Anniversary Tour, the complete line-up, which was very special. It's just Mike Love and Brian Johnstone touring now under the Beach Boys name so to have Brian and the rest there was brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beach Boys were the soundtrack to my favourite ever summer, and on a sunny day there's nothing that beats Endless Summer and 20 Golden Greats.

I remember playing Pet Sounds at a party once and it was like I'd put funeral music on going by the response it got. That was my fault though as it's not a party album, and many of the tracks take a little getting into. But so worth it when there's such quality.

Surf's Up I think is a hugely underrated album. Long Promised Road, Disney Girls, Feel Flows, Till I Die and the amazing title track are all top quality songs, and the (quirky) other tracks are excellent too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis Wilson wrote a song for the Surfs Up album in 1971 and it was never released. The song is called Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again) and it is truly awesome. This had never been heard before with a few exceptions and was leaked from their upcoming anthology box set "Made In California" which is due to come out in a few days.

This could now be second to Forever as my favourite Dennis Wilson song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jinTmcYwAdQ

How could this gorgeous song never be released for 42 years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    Dennis Wilson wrote a song for the Surfs Up album in 1971 and it was never released. The song is called Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again) and it is truly awesome. This had never been heard before with a few exceptions and was leaked from their upcoming anthology box set "Made In California" which is due to come out in a few days.

This could now be second to Forever as my favourite Dennis Wilson song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jinTmcYwAdQ

How could this gorgeous song never be released for 42 years?

A nice song, but I'm not sure it would fit on Surf's Up unless it was re-recorded or at least re-mixed. Surf's Up has its own vibe, and maybe along with several other low key tracks like Till I Die, A Day in the Life of a Tree and Long Promised Road it would have made the whole thing just a little too mournful? I would definitely say it could have gone on another album, though - even a Dennis Wilson solo album/collection.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm In , great band

Another Beach Boys track that is never played .

California Saga / California

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmN6R-e9Knw
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad loves the Beach Boys they are without his favourite ever band, he said he preferred them to The Beatles.

He has seen them live a few times when they have toured over here, the last time at The Hammersmith Apollo I think it was.

His Favourite song is Good Viberations, and his favourite album is Pet Sounds.

He is currently in the process of buying as many Beach Boys CDs off EBay as he can he has soooooo many at the moment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice song, but I'm not sure it would fit on Surf's Up unless it was re-recorded or at least re-mixed. Surf's Up has its own vibe, and maybe along with several other low key tracks like Till I Die, A Day in the Life of a Tree and Long Promised Road it would have made the whole thing just a little too mournful? I would definitely say it could have gone on another album, though - even a Dennis Wilson solo album/collection.

You have a point, but surely it would be less jarring than Student Demonstration Time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    You have a point, but surely it would be less jarring than Student Demonstration Time?

It is jarring, isn't it, and it's not really a Beach Boys' song, being based on the Leiber and Stoller oldie Riot in Cell Block Nine. Having said that, I'm probably one of the few people who actually likes SDT!
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love several Beach Boys songs. When I did my top 100 of the 60s last June it featured 4 songs, namely California Girls, Good Vibrations, Heroes & Villains and Do It Again.

You could say that if I describe Do It Again as one of your favourite songs of all-time this would be an understatement! You see
    is is my official favourite song of all-time :):cool: