DC fans - Convergence is coming.

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    So DC are keeping 25 of their highest profile existing titles after Convergence which will be joined by 24 new titles!
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    So DC are keeping 25 of their highest profile existing titles after Convergence which will be joined by 24 new titles!

The New 49.
    Forum Member
    Or DC will just wait a few months then launch another 3 titles to take it back up to 52

Actually do the 49 titles include Batman Eternal as Isnt that returning after a break?

All I know is that I will buying a lot of Convergence titles when it starts soon!
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batman Eternal ends with issue (iirc) 52.

And as for Convergence, I don't know if users of other online CB stores have found this but after adding 11 of the mini series to my pre-order basket and proceeding to checkout I saw their stock levels were all at the 98/99 levels, and this is after them being up on the site for a good couple of weeks now. Implying hardly anyone is snapping these things up. Maybe, rather than being an event to entice new and oldie-who-left readers, current readers are treating this thing as unimportant and avoidable. Though this may be false extrapolation based on incomplete data. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: those Tony S Daniel variants for Convergence 1-4. Turned out, going by his twitter entry, he hasn't drawn'm yet, which kinda explains why there has been no previews out yet.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Maybe, rather than being an event to entice new and oldie-who-left readers, current readers are treating this thing as unimportant and avoidable

Personally, I'm just bored with these "events" from the big two. To be honest I've dropped most of the normal DC titles I was reading anyway, and I'm pretty much only reading Spider-man titles from Marvel.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm just bored with these "events" from the big two. To be honest I've dropped most of the normal DC titles I was reading anyway, and I'm pretty much only reading Spider-man titles from Marvel.

When I was a kid with plenty of space cash and time, I loved it. I think I bought every single 'Crisis On Infinite Earth' crossover issue. Now it just cheeses me off. I liked Batwoman because the original writer didn't let her get involved with any massive Bat-Crossovers and it was all the better for it.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was all these big event crossovers that finally caused me to ditch all the Marvel and DC titles way back when I still bought comics regularly.

I think that my last Marvel crossover was Onslaught, and my last DC one was No Man's Land.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^if you were a Batman fan and getting all the Batman titles anyway, then NML wasn't really that much of a cross-over event requiring the buying of a big bunch of extra issues.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought all of the actual Bat books, along with Birds of Prey. Never bothered with Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman.

Maybe I stuck around a bit longer than NML, I can't remember. That's the last big one I can think of, though.

Thinking about it, the Marvel events irritated me more as they tended to involve far more titles. Although... If I had stuck with DC longer, I would definitely have been annoyed at any of those later events that kept changing the continuity.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping on the bandwagon here, I loathe the cross-overs. A couple would be fine, but the dozens and dozens per event is ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having to buy a large number of extra titles to get the full story doesn't do a limited budget any favours but in this case, with these 2 issue minis, as (iiuc) they're all telling their own stories, you can just get the ones you think might be cool and disregard the rest. The thing that bugs me is when a Crossover is happening but you only find out part-2 is in an unbought title upon reading your bought part-1 and it is too darn late to buy the part-2 cos they've sold out. Luckily DC seem rather good at listing the issues required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Batwoman was ruined then cancelled. World's Finest was ruined then cancelled. With Supergirl, they just moved straight to cancellation.

Along with the Legion getting the chop last year, I'm now down to less than half the DC titles I was reading 12 months ago. Bravo DC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read the wiki entry for Marvel's upcoming Secret Wars and it's like you wait your whole life for a major comic event involving the combining of a multitude of Universes into a single one, then 2 come along at exactly the same time. :p
    Forum Member
    Yeah DC Convergence will still be going on in May and Marvel launch Secret Wars in May so both will have massive events going on at the same time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darn it. Coulda used this event to switch to buying things tradepaper backly rather than weekly, saving myself money and storage box space, but I forgot and have already put in 2 pre-orders for #41s and #42s. Darn it. Maybe I'll do it when the next big event happens. :)

(or for #47/#48 onwards. :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Legion issues were OK, but disappointed they had Lightning Lass be the one to snog Superboy. I know she was straight pre-crisis, but I still think they could have used one of the other female LSH members.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since #41s are due out very shortly and it is looking like they simply carry on as though nothing happened, thus this whole Convergence thing is looking very much like a pointless bunch of inconsequential nothingness that many were predicting.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since #41s are due out very shortly and it is looking like they simply carry on as though nothing happened, thus this whole Convergence thing is looking very much like a pointless bunch of inconsequential nothingness that many were predicting.

Surprise, surprise...
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its why I knew it wasn't worth getting into the convergence stuff, DC already said it would go back to the normal new 52 continuity after the event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darn it. I admire your... wherewithall (I think that's what they call it) :)
    Shoulda used this bi-month to catch up on me reading cos apparently big things have happened with the big 2 guys.
    btw: iiuc post-convergence will see DC You beginning in that EVERY DC series will start a new direction, being a great place for newbies to jump in and a great place for current readers to jump out or to start going the trade paperback route.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darn it. I admire your... wherewithall (I think that's what they call it) :)
    Shoulda used this bi-month to catch up on me reading cos apparently big things have happened with the big 2 guys.
    btw: iiuc post-convergence will see DC You beginning in that EVERY DC series will start a new direction, being a great place for newbies to jump in and a great place for current readers to jump out or to start going the trade paperback route.

part of the pleasure of reading comics for the first time was wondering who the characters were and looking at the mentions of previous continuity, aside from batman most of the new 52 comics i have read so far have been absolutely terrible - teen titans, superboy, jla 3000 - all utter crap
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justice League 3000/3001 is one of the few DC comics I'm still reading. I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but murderous Wonder Woman? Conceited Superman? Too much fun.
    Forum Member
    I forgot to answer zwixxx earlier post about Batman Eternal not returning as I had stated it would be returning.Well Scott Synder has already confirmed a few times last year and this year that there are plans for a Year 2 of Batman Eternal after a break which will be more Robin based though!

However we have no idea when DC will doing this title!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^cool re: Eternal p2 - a year long Batman story gets the thumbs up from me.... erm, hold on a mo, just re-read the above and the "more Robin based" - now this would be Damien (ug!) as Robin, right ?! So let me 180' my thumbs into a downward position cos I hate that guy. Oh well.

And as for Convergence - looks like I'll be storing the series and its various 2parters in a box marked "why the heck did I buy this" along with the Doomed series and those various Futures End 3D one-offs AND a couple LEGO covers for titles I don't follow. I'd like to say "next time there's a big crossover I'ma skipping it" but either I won't, thinking it'll be different this time, or there ain't gonna be one as with this new DiCYOU thing the ptb are keeping all titles separate = no crossings over.