breaking bad : overrated?

Comments

• charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I know it's all subjective, but The Wire is absolute shite! It's not even in the same ballpark as Breaking Bad, let alone the same league.

Agreed. Late comer to both series. Cant get enough of Breaking Bad but as for The Wire, watched 2 episodes and as yet havent gone back. Found it very slow and extremely dull.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of The Wire, but i'm an even bigger fan of Breaking Bad. I've never understood this "it starts slow" claim. I was hooked from episode one way back when it was first shown on FX in the uk. It gripped me from then, and it's just got better with each season.

Depending on how it ends, it's probably my favourite show ever.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen bits and pieces on youtube, watched the 1st ep. Not that it's bad or anything, but i don't really think it's for me to be honest. When i watched the first ep of Dexter i knew straight away that i was going to love it.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, magnificent tv

if you havnt seen it and are reading this thread, STOP! get s1 and you will most likely be hooked.
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Not overrated at all, it is a brilliant show from pretty much every angle you could wish to measure brilliance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    It's underrated if anything.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fred5444 wrote: »
    It's underrated if anything.

This!

So many people still don't really know about it. The type of folk that are too set in their ways to watch anything on netflix. But if it was on BBC1 or Channel 4 they'd absolutely LOVE it.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to give it another go because I've heard from various places that it starts with a slower pace and picks up gradually. I'm on "Cancer Man" at the moment, so I may as well at least stick with the first season. It's holding my interest more than it did initially. I also really like Bryan Cranston so he'll probably keep me with it for a while. :)

When searching for this thread I came across another Breaking Bad thread, and one of the replies to someone who found it boring was along the lines of "If you're not hooked by now, you probably should just shoot yourself in the head". :confused:

Now, I'm not saying ALL fans of the show are like that, clearly it's a minority with a bad attitude, but one of the things that has previously put me off giving the show a chance was that mentality I sometimes came across, like a snobbery looking down on those who dare to not like it. But, as I said, that's a minority I guess. :)
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the people that enjoy it, no. For the people that didn't enjoy it (and presumably stopped watching), yes.

And the end of the day, nothing is ever really over or underrated. People just like different stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why post a link without even bothering to say what it's about?
  • Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    nope, it deserves all the praise because it's well acted, well written and has a story that compels who watches it

I don't see the point in comparing Breaking Bad and The Wire though, both are about different situations however they are both slow burning shows that reward the viewer immensely if they keep with it
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone recommended it to me about 2 months a go. It has firmly become my favourite ever TV series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    simple question is it?

Why is it that some people, who might not like a show, cannot see past the critical acclaim it has achieved in order to be considered one of the finest shows ever produced?

The awards, the ratings, the reviews are not just made up, you know.

Don't like it? Who gives a damn, but it sure as shit doesn't make it overrated.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    For the people that enjoy it, no. For the people that didn't enjoy it (and presumably stopped watching), yes.

And the end of the day, nothing is ever really over or underrated. People just like different stuff.

This. It's all subjective to personal opinion, really. Some people will think it's overrated, some won't. There's no right or wrong view on that.
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Why is it that some people, who might not like a show, cannot see past the critical acclaim it has achieved in order to be considered one of the finest shows ever produced?

The awards, the ratings, the reviews are not just made up, you know.

Don't like it? Who gives a damn, but it sure as shit doesn't make it overrated.

Again, it's all based on opinion. Whether something is overrated or not is all just that, not a fact. Despite the acclaim, some just won't like it so, to them, it IS overrated. They're not wrong, they just view it differently. Just like those who think it deserves it's acclaim are not wrong either. That's the point.

That's why asking it as a question in this way doesn't really work, because there is no "yes or no". There's what different people personally think.

For me, it's surpassing what I expected. After the Pilot I didn't feel very motivated to continue, but I went back and now I'm coming to the end of the first season and finding myself interested in what happens next. Some just didn't get drawn in, that's fair enough.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst thing about The Wire imo was the overzealous fanboys, in the long run I think they did the show's reputation more harm than good. I get a bit nervous when I see the same type of devotion targeted at BB, I would hate for the show's reputation to be tarnished in the same way.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took me a while to get into but I am so glad I stuck with it. This final season is amazing and I am genuinely excited for each new episode. There are slow parts at the beginning but I think they are important so you get to know and care about the characters.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is being overrated and over hyped by the fan boys. It's a good show, but don't over-egg the pudding.
  • AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it even compare to Sopranos?
  • The Jordan ShowThe Jordan Show Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. It deserves all its credit and more.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not overrated, no. The critical response is justified. Ideally it would reach a larger audience than it does.
    I also like shows that have replay ability

I can't sympathize with you there. Watching a TV show again, rereading a book, rewatching a movie, it's almost always boring to me. Even years later. This is not a feature that I would ever look for, so I can't speculate on what might make one thing more rewatchable than another.
    Maybe because I've watched a lot of TV series I have a wider range to pick from

No, it's definitely not that, and the fact that you like to rewatch things would seem to undermine your point. Breaking Bad doesn't just get praised by ignorant people who don't know any better. It gets praised the loudest by the very people who do have a broad range of reference points to compare it to.

Best ever may indeed be hyperbolic, but I don't believe it's easy to unambiguously assign a clear ordinality like that. All I could say is that it is among the very best, and I don't think that's hyperbole at all.
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The worst thing about The Wire imo was the overzealous fanboys, in the long run I think they did the show's reputation more harm than good.

The quality of the Wire is orthogonal to the response from other viewers, and your enjoyment of it should be as well. If how other people receive it so greatly influences your judgement, then I have to question your discernment.
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I've never understood this "it starts slow" claim. I was hooked from episode one way back when it was first shown on FX in the uk.

For me, episode one was compelling, but episodes 2 and 3 were a bit dark, brooding, and slow, and I wasn't yet emotionally attached enough to the characters and world that I felt very invested in their dilemma. I was interested enough to keep watching and get hooked by the end of season 1, but I can understand how someone might say it starts slow and to stick with it.
  • BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I tried, I really did but I just couldn't get on with it. As for The Wire, I loved the first season but none of the others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    beckii330 wrote: »
    This is spot on.

I've had several people on my facebook ask me about it as I've commented how good it is with a few saying they started it but couldn't get into it. That, imo, is what makes it brilliant. However, I was hooked the minute I saw Walt in his pants in the desert - I don't think I've ever laughed so much, it was hilarious.

Same here. The first episode was enough to make me want to find out more.
    When the sirens were wailing I thought it was game over for him and we were going to see the whole season in flashback. What happened was totally different to what I expected.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Not as good as The Wire, but a very strong series. I think it and Game of Thrones are among some of the best series right now. Homeland also a fine series. I wouldn't say Breaking Bad is way better than other series, but a strong one among some others including of course Game of Thrones, Homeland, and Mad Men. I don't think it is better than those other series, but Bryan Cranston performance makes it stand apart a bit.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    It's intelligent drama so I don't expect most people to get it. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it how everyone has jumped on the BB band wagon! I preferred it when it was my own little indulgence. ..

I remember too whwn, back in the day, This Life was hardly known too. I used to love watching that series, then everyone jumped on board!