Options

How can anyone feel sorry for Jean?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of this, especially after reading the replies.

Today was one of those days, and I was slightly fed up of seeing threads of the nature I describes above. My apologies, OP.
    It's fine, dw. I probably should have made it more clear.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're both barmy. Jean isnt helping herself at all and Michael strangely reminds me of Michael Barrymore! Something about the way he walks. I find it a frustrating storyline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're both barmy. Jean isnt helping herself at all and Michael strangely reminds me of Michael Barrymore! Something about the way he walks. I find it a frustrating storyline.

Jean taking Tommy out to stalk Michael and Janine was just cringe. I hate the fact that she's picking on a pregnant woman too. The other day, when she pushed Tommy's pram out to block Janine's way was very annoying indeed. Michael can take Jean's constant whining, but Janine's vulnerable at the moment. Surely even Jean should get that?
  • Options
    VirginiaDemVirginiaDem Posts: 1,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jean started the manipulation and ended up getting out-manipulated by someone whose way of life is just that.

This initiated as fodder for Jean's diet of Janine-hate. She took advantage of Michael's discomfort at his engagement party to start trash-talking Janine and misread his signals as approval.

She correctly interpreted that he was uncomfortable in a relationship with a rich and powerful woman and exploited that. Then Michael turned the tables when he realised Jean had money and access to money that he needed to inject into the wedding plans so he would have an equal say. He tapped into her need to be needed as a mother, and she ended up buying his malarkey.

But that doesn't belie the fact that she's done wrong. She stole, not once but twice, from her "family" and her employer, taking money earmarked for the government. She lied about taking the money initially to Roxy. She was even about to lie about it to Kat until she saw Alfie had sussed that she'd taken the money.

Even now, she's still doing wrong - breaking and entering people's houses, harassing and stalking a pregnant woman.

As for Janine smacking a pregnant Kat, Janine was smacked first. Kat used her pregnancy as a shield to smack and bully her way around Walford. Awful woman. I'm hoping after the affair storyline, she, Jean and Gary Oldman's untalented deadwood older sister take a hike away from Walford for good.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Jean stole the money but she acknowledged that fact.
    I don't recall any apology
    vald wrote: »
    Because she did something wrong but for the right reasons. Michael convinced her that she could make a lot of money if she invested in his club and she desperately wanted to help Alfie.
    She has an illness but she's not barking mad. Why would anyone think they would make a load of money out of a charity?:rolleyes:
    and Gary Oldman's untalented deadwood older sister take a hike away from Walford for good.

A excellent description of the Vile Mo Harris
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Because she did something wrong but for the right reasons. Michael convinced her that she could make a lot of money if she invested in his club and she desperately wanted to help Alfie.
    Agreed. Michael told her alot about his childhood and everything and They started to become close so when Michael told her she could do some good for young people's lives and the fact she could help Alfie naturally she agreed.

I feel so sorry for Jean and usually i dont feel like this for a Character but Gillian Wright has just played it so well
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Jean started the manipulation and ended up getting out-manipulated by someone whose way of life is just that.

This initiated as fodder for Jean's diet of Janine-hate. She took advantage of Michael's discomfort at his engagement party to start trash-talking Janine and misread his signals as approval.

She correctly interpreted that he was uncomfortable in a relationship with a rich and powerful woman and exploited that. Then Michael turned the tables when he realised Jean had money and access to money that he needed to inject into the wedding plans so he would have an equal say. He tapped into her need to be needed as a mother, and she ended up buying his malarkey.

But that doesn't belie the fact that she's done wrong. She stole, not once but twice, from her "family" and her employer, taking money earmarked for the government. She lied about taking the money initially to Roxy. She was even about to lie about it to Kat until she saw Alfie had sussed that she'd taken the money.

Even now, she's still doing wrong - breaking and entering people's houses, harassing and stalking a pregnant woman.

As for Janine smacking a pregnant Kat, Janine was smacked first. Kat used her pregnancy as a shield to smack and bully her way around Walford. Awful woman. I'm hoping after the affair storyline, she, Jean and Gary Oldman's untalented deadwood older sister take a hike away from Walford for good.
    Im hoping not. I like Jean,Kat,Mo and don't want them togo anywhere
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

She has an illness but she's not barking mad. Why would anyone think they would make a load of money out of a charity?:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, this is a case of the storyline needing Jean to be stupid and falling for Michael's lies. That aspect of the plot felt very artificial and forced to me as nobody would fall for a silly con like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    She did something wrong for the RIGHT reasons

She took the money because she was conned into thinking the pub money will be trippled,
    She wanted Alfie not to struggle with bills and stuff, this is because she knows he is having money problems.

She did it for the right reason with a good heart,

Michael is a thief, Janine is a thief

I defend Jean!

SHE WAS BUTTERED UP AND CONNED,
    You have to be pretty heartless to defend a person like Michael even when what his doing now.

You would probably not believe anything that is right in front of you.

Thanks

How is Janine a thief? She knows absolutely nothing about what Michael's done.

And Jean began the manipulation game with Michael, herself. She was attempting to manipulate him out of marrying Janine.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Im hoping not. I like Jean,Kat,Mo and don't want them togo anywhere

Too right. They all have their faults but they are among the more interesting characters in the show, and Jessie and Gillian are two of the better actors.
  • Options
    silly sausagesilly sausage Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find Jean manipulative and scheming. I've already made my views of her portrayal of a bipolar sufferer clear, being bipolar myself. She is a thief, she is also a housebreaker and a liar. When necessary she resorts to crying and acting like a five year old, but she is well able to stand up for herself at other times so I don't love her one bit. She comes across as schizophrenic more than bipolar. I can't warm to her, I can't warm to any women who turn on the tears to safeguard themselves from taking responsibility for their own actions.
    Michael is far more interesting to watch, his character is much more multi layered, and unlike Jean, he does express remorse which in my opinion makes him the character I can sympathise with much more.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple. Michael is more likeable then the hysterical unstable Jean Slater.

I was cheering when he pulled that stunt with the undertaker.

Now, regardless of what either character has done, that is plain sick.

She's said sorry to Kat and Alfie on multiple occasions. Admitted she was stupid to trust him.
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    When a woman is heavily pregnant harassing her puts the baby in danger. Her doctors warned her of stress. Jean was moaning saying she wanted people put pressure on Janine.
    Whatever Janine has done her baby is innocent. Unlike Kat who picked physical fights and used her unborn baby as a shield, Janine has done no such thing. Jean and Kat bullying and pressuring her puts the baby in danger. As a mother myself I am disgusted at these witches. Whatever you think of Janine that baby has done nothing to them. Jean coldy watching as Janine clutched her stomach. Give me a break. If she goes into premature labour I hope these 2 witches feel bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    What Michael's done is obviously so so wrong, and yeah I probably should feel sorry for Jean, but I can't. I find the character so annoying. She's not exactly an angel either... I just get bored now when she's onscreen, like taking Tommy out to go creep on them, stop woman, what are you doing ugggh. :p
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Now, regardless of what either character has done, that is plain sick.

She's said sorry to Kat and Alfie on multiple occasions. Admitted she was stupid to trust him.

She has never admitting stealing the money. Her emphasis has been on Michael stealing the money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has never admitting stealing the money. Her emphasis has been on Michael stealing the money

This. She says she "took" the money, but then hastens to add that she's not done anything wrong. Pardon, but taking someone else's money is stealing.

I knew a guy once who worked in the accounts department of the local technical college. He had a position of responsibility in paying the service providers every month. He set up a phoney account and paid himself a tidy bit over three years before his bosses found out. He got done for embezzlement. He tried to plead his mental state, but he got a suspended sentence and a hefty fine.

And Jean had absolutely no right whatsoever to take Tommy out of the Vic without his parents' permission. She said he was crying, but neither Kat nor Alfie heard him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    How can you not feel sorry for her? It is just mean to watch Michael manipulating her in this way and feel no empathy for her. Yes she shouldn't have taken Kat & Alfie's money but regardless, Michael would have still taken hers and that is inexcusable.
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    How can you not feel sorry for her? It is just mean to watch Michael manipulating her in this way and feel no empathy for her. Yes she shouldn't have taken Kat & Alfie's money but regardless, Michael would have still taken hers and that is inexcusable.

If that was the end of it sure. But putting pressure on a woman who is in her 3rd trimester is disgusting behaviour. Watching her coldy while she clutches her stomach. Asking other people to put pressure on Janine. Whatever Janine has done her baby is innocent. She does not need the stress. Jean and Kat bullying her means I do not feel sorry for her. And so what if Janine knows the truth, wont get their money back. In fact its a well known fact many women pressured and stressed when heavily pregnant can have premature labours.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hated the line "I've put pressure on Janine" - those were pretty much her exact words, she definitely said "...pressure on Janine". I wish Pat was around to slap her, just like when she slapped Stacey on Ryan & Janine's wedding day.

I miss Pat.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that was the end of it sure. But putting pressure on a woman who is in her 3rd trimester is disgusting behaviour. Watching her coldy while she clutches her stomach. Asking other people to put pressure on Janine. Whatever Janine has done her baby is innocent. She does not need the stress. Jean and Kat bullying her means I do not feel sorry for her. And so what if Janine knows the truth, wont get their money back. In fact its a well known fact many women pressured and stressed when heavily pregnant can have premature labours.....

yeah i agree, she shouldnt be pestering janine,or barging her pram into her, janine done nothing wrong
    also she gonna touch janine belly and say your baby going to be unloved, which i find sickening and horrible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hated the line "I've put pressure on Janine" - those were pretty much her exact words, she definitely said "...pressure on Janine". I wish Pat was around to slap her, just like when she slapped Stacey on Ryan & Janine's wedding day.

I miss Pat.[/QUOTE]

same
    she would have been so supportive of janine
    when janine was in pain, cora was so horrible to her
    i do feel sorry for jean, but janine done nothing wrong, why would janine steal money when she got millions
    jean shouldnt be pestering janine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janine has done worse, slapping a heavily pregnant woman across the face is far worse :O

Janine was only defending herself against the two Slater hyenas who were attacking her. It's Kat who should be ashamed to get herself involved in a brawl while pregnant.

And it's not like like Janine kicked her in to the belly.

Janine is amazing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote:

same
    she would have been so supportive of janine
    when janine was in pain, cora was so horrible to her
    i do feel sorry for jean, but janine done nothing wrong, why would janine steal money when she got millions
    jean shouldnt be pestering janine

Cora was vile. She deserved a Pat Slap too.

Jean, stupid as she is, believes Janine's in on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cora was vile. She deserved a Pat Slap too.

Jean, stupid as she is, believes Janine's in on it.

haha i love pat and the pat slaps
    i really miss her:(
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I just find Jean manipulative and scheming. I've already made my views of her portrayal of a bipolar sufferer clear, being bipolar myself. She is a thief, she is also a housebreaker and a liar. When necessary she resorts to crying and acting like a five year old, but she is well able to stand up for herself at other times so I don't love her one bit. She comes across as schizophrenic more than bipolar. I can't warm to her, I can't warm to any women who turn on the tears to safeguard themselves from taking responsibility for their own actions.
    Michael is far more interesting to watch, his character is much more multi layered, and unlike Jean, he does express remorse which in my opinion makes him the character I can sympathise with much more.

When has he genuinely expressed remorse? :confused: